March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: New toy/project  (Read 18241 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: New toy/project
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »
The little guy looks so little on that thing. Either he's really little or that thing's a monster! Gotta stat them young though!
Lol, He’s a good size for his age. Turns 6 at the end of the month and is 69lbs and 49” tall.

The handle bars on the bike or chest height for me standing beside it and I’m 6’2”, so it’s a pretty big quad. Weighs over a 1000lbs. Far cry from the 250lb trike of my youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2022, 03:27:25 PM »
Outlanders are huge!  That tire setup makes it even bigger.  It does make him look small though.  Haha.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2022, 11:15:08 AM »
Next up is dealing with the issues caused by this thing running hot.

The PO got this thing pretty hot due to a slip on exhaust and the stock lean tune. To remedy, aluminum valve covers, water necks and a DynoJet Tuner are on order. A custom tune from a local shop is only $60, so I work with them on a tune.

Once that’s done, I will bite the bullet on the passenger seat ($800) and put better fasteners in to hold the floor boards down. I’m debating doing a couple modifications to the floorboards and getting them re-powder coated.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »
The tune should wake the bike up and fix that lean issue.

Man, seats are expensive.  I actually refuse to ride 2up.  I guess I’d you’re using it to get from point A to point B it’s not so bad but I like to get air, slide corners and do technical riding and none of that is possible, safely atleast, with a passenger.  Mud is another story but I think I’ve left that behind me for the most part.  I like slick muddy areas but not so much mud holes.  Mud holes I save for the trip back. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
Ha, I totally agree and why I was hoping for a side-by-side, but it wasn't in the cards. I'll mostly be just cruising around exploring trails when there is a passenger on the back anyway. The suspension travel up front on this thing is pretty lacking, so no jumping for me.

I was just completely floored when I saw the price on the seat, it shouldn't even be half that cost. I know I've already spent that amount of money on other crap, but it's just me being hopeful that I can find somethin used.

Also ordered up the Boyesen high flow water pump to add at the same time I do the other bits. The tuner, Valve Covers and Water necks have shown up already, just need some o-rings and gaskets to show up.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2022, 11:28:06 PM »
A few things are here, just waiting on a couple o-rings and gaskets from BRP. I may hold out for the Boyesen water pump, but we’ll see how patient I am.

The base custom tune is also in my inbox ready to load up.

After some debate I decided to get a clutch kit and a new belt. With the bigger tires, it just doesn’t rev out like it should and I’m sure the little bit of elevation is neutering it as well. The combo of the tuner and clutch kit should really wake it up.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2022, 01:53:14 PM »
Have you considered switching back to more reasonably sized tires? Those things have got to kill acceleration, clutches and a few other things. And I don't think you're running in the swamp where there're really needed.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2022, 02:11:37 PM »
Have you considered switching back to more reasonably sized tires? Those things have got to kill acceleration, clutches and a few other things. And I don't think you're running in the swamp where there're really needed.
Listen here, Tom!  This isn’t the thread for rational talk.  Downsizing and Unmodifying things will not be tolerated.  I’m going to counter your post and suggest portals. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »
Actually yes, it was heavily considered, I don’t need 32’s. The main reason I stuck with them was cost. The floor boards were damaged and needed to be replaced anyway, so I could get aftermarket cheaper that cleared the 32’s than OEM and used OEM were non-existent. That paired with it having 15” wheel instead of the usual 14”, smaller tires were not cheap and finding a buyer for these kinda tough.

They will probably stay until they are wore out Or I get a different bike, lol.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 07:34:57 AM »
Listen here, Tom!  This isn’t the thread for rational talk.  Downsizing and Unmodifying things will not be tolerated.  I’m going to counter your post and suggest portals. 

:funny:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2022, 10:27:05 PM »
All the bits and pieces have arrived other than the water pump.
I went ahead and bought the stupid expensive OEM passenger seat too, the cost on that drives me nuts for some reason. It's currently in pieces, but should have it together for a test drive this weekend.
Plan is to do:
Full rebuild on Primary and Secondary clutches
Clutch Kit (weights/springs for the bigger tires)
New OEM Upgraded Belt
Aluminum Valve Covers
Aluminum Water necks
DynoJet Programmer with Custom Tune
New Plugs
Timing Chain tensioner O-rings (small engine folks will know what I'm talking about)

That really just leaves the Water Pump when it shows up and the back-ordered fender flare. I'm still thinking I will do some "mods" to the floor boards to better suit my OCD and get them powder coated properly. Maybe in a couple months.

Future plans will be some hand/thumb warmers for driver and passenger and some nice Bumper end caps that are metal and not craptastic plastic like OEM. Possibly a nice box for the back and a jerry can, we'll see what comes up on Market Place.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
Well, other than an hours worth of cleaning yielded a still dirty motor, I’m happy with the progress made last night.

Valve cover swapped
Water necks swapped
Plugs swapped
O-rings replaced
Exhaust and shields back on
Tuner wired in

Tonight I hope to wrap up the clutches and get the coolant back in it and button up all the panels. It’s supposed to be nice this weekend, so it would be great to go out for a ride.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »
Most of that will never come clean.  It’s always going to look dirty.  Especially the bits that get hot. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2022, 08:42:03 PM »
I believe that. I tried straight Spray 9 APC, engine degreaser and then Spray and Rinse. I might try the steamer next time the plastics are off.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2022, 03:20:07 AM »
It’s all done! Man those clutches kicked my butt!!! They are not friendly to work on at all, piss poor design IMO. Maybe aftermarket clutches next year will be in the cards as I’m not rebuilding these again.

Clutches rebuilt and installed with clutch kit, tune loads up and fired the bike up, all looks good so far. All the plastics are back on and new fasteners for the floor boards. Pretty happy I could get it done tonight. Hopefully a ride tomorrow or Sunday.

I see that the front shock (original one) is leaking. Hopefully I can find a seal kit easy and then I’ll rebuild. I should have all the tools needed to get it done.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3434.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal