Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Snow storm  (Read 16265 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Snow storm
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
Call Obsessive Compulsive Diesel in Edmonton Canada. If you can talk to Ryan, he knows who I am (built Blue F150).

Order from him and I can pick up and ship to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, I really appreciate that and will keep it as an option.  I take the truck to the body shop today for an estimate.  Once I get that sorted and figure out this transmission issue I am going to make a few calls and see if any of these companies are still doing it behind the scenes. 

I actually drove the truck 40 minutes away and 40 minutes back yesterday and again, it drives and shifts great.  Parked it and no signs of any leaks.  It had a slight odor but I almost feel like it was coolant again.  It also seemed to be strongest up near the drivers side headlight/grille area.  I can’t find anything wrong.  All fluids look good. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2021, 02:56:39 PM »
Supposed to have an estimate for the truck before the end of today.  New bedsides, new tonneau cover because the rails are bent, and paint and bedliner.  And hopefully the bedsides aren’t on back order like everything else in the world. Hoping to get it in and done before Easter since I am camping again that weekend and need the truck to tow.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
Holy crap Mike, that is a horrible series of events.

Get some chains for your outer rear tires and you make it to the house.

The emissions stuff is getting harder, but I thought Manufacturers had to improve the warranty on those systems to help.

I was so tired the evening we got to camp. Running on very little sleep.  The sun had set and it was just about dark while we starting setting up.  We were chatting it up with her family we hadn’t seen in a long time while we went about our business.  It was a perfect storm of events for my brain to shut down at the worst possible time.  I’m so mad at myself and I have no one and nothing to blame. 

I just came in from getting the trailer parked.  That’s a weight off of my shoulders.  I thought I was going to have to go drop it in a parking lot somewhere for a month or so until we melted.  Chains wouldn’t have helped.  The heavy camper on a gravel incline and a turn was the biggest problem.  The snow being plowed multiple times left embankments that I kept getting hung up on and buried in.  I had to hand shovel some of the inside of the turn to get the camper tighter because the truck kept swinging to the outside of the turn and getting stuck and sliding. 

The warranty has been extended on Fords for the EGT sensors.  That sounds good on paper but it doesn’t help when you’re on the side of the road with a trailer in tow and it screws up whatever it is you got going on.  Some guys have reported getting a message telling them to pull over immediately and then the truck shuts off before they have time.  I was lucky that I could still drive but what happens if I’m half way to my campsite 10 hours away and my truck shuts off and strands me and the camper,  I’d rather get rid of all the crap.  I don’t NEED the extra power but I do need the reliability. 

Also, now that I’m unhooked, off the grade of the driveway and parked on level ground in the garage, I was able to Atleast check the tranny fluid.  It looks good and red and is within operating levels.  I’ve smelled this before (not to this extent) and have looked in the garage for oil marks but I’ve never seen any.  If it’s leaking, I’m not sure where.  I’m going to have to get under and feel around. 

Mike, I don't know how I missed this post but we all do crap like that. I have more than a few stories of crap that's happened here at work over the years. I was personally responsible for a couple that were pretty bad. Like the time I totaled two cars and wasn't driving either of them, backing into a customers van with the loader while I was pushing snow, getting a loader hung up on one of our sheds with a post between the front wheel and loader arm. My personal favorite is we had a guy get both hands stuck under a unit of OBS while sitting on the forklift he also managed to run himself over with his own pickup truck shortly after that.

The one that I really remember but was only around 14 at the time and we still had our Mack R Model. We had two trailers that we ran, the loaded one was pulled by the truck and the empty would be loaded for the next day while the truck was gone. Our driver had come back from his run and went home leaving the guy in the yard to switch trailers. The guy switched trailers like always but forgot one important detail after hooking up to the loaded trailer. He forgot the tug test. He raised the landing gear got into the truck and proceeded to pull out from under the loaded trailer. So now the loaded trailer sat on it's landing gear in the raised position with the trailer sitting at about a 15*-20* angle and our forklift couldn't pick up the front of the trailer and the truck was scheduled to leave at 3am the next morning it was late afternoon when this happened. I don't remember how we got the trailer hooked back up the the semi but I think it involved a wrecker that was big enough to pick up the front of the trailer.

I haven't failed to do a tug test on any fifth wheel trailer after seeing that happen. And I am pretty sure you won't either going forward.

In the words of my Grandfather. You can go to school and learn, or you can learn from the school of hard knocks. Both are expensive, make sure you choose wisely. I have learned from the school of hard knock than I ever did going to school.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »
Holy crap Mike, that is a horrible series of events.

Get some chains for your outer rear tires and you make it to the house.

The emissions stuff is getting harder, but I thought Manufacturers had to improve the warranty on those systems to help.

I was so tired the evening we got to camp. Running on very little sleep.  The sun had set and it was just about dark while we starting setting up.  We were chatting it up with her family we hadn’t seen in a long time while we went about our business.  It was a perfect storm of events for my brain to shut down at the worst possible time.  I’m so mad at myself and I have no one and nothing to blame. 

I just came in from getting the trailer parked.  That’s a weight off of my shoulders.  I thought I was going to have to go drop it in a parking lot somewhere for a month or so until we melted.  Chains wouldn’t have helped.  The heavy camper on a gravel incline and a turn was the biggest problem.  The snow being plowed multiple times left embankments that I kept getting hung up on and buried in.  I had to hand shovel some of the inside of the turn to get the camper tighter because the truck kept swinging to the outside of the turn and getting stuck and sliding. 

The warranty has been extended on Fords for the EGT sensors.  That sounds good on paper but it doesn’t help when you’re on the side of the road with a trailer in tow and it screws up whatever it is you got going on.  Some guys have reported getting a message telling them to pull over immediately and then the truck shuts off before they have time.  I was lucky that I could still drive but what happens if I’m half way to my campsite 10 hours away and my truck shuts off and strands me and the camper,  I’d rather get rid of all the crap.  I don’t NEED the extra power but I do need the reliability. 

Also, now that I’m unhooked, off the grade of the driveway and parked on level ground in the garage, I was able to Atleast check the tranny fluid.  It looks good and red and is within operating levels.  I’ve smelled this before (not to this extent) and have looked in the garage for oil marks but I’ve never seen any.  If it’s leaking, I’m not sure where.  I’m going to have to get under and feel around. 

Mike, I don't know how I missed this post but we all do crap like that. I have more than a few stories of crap that's happened here at work over the years. I was personally responsible for a couple that were pretty bad. Like the time I totaled two cars and wasn't driving either of them, backing into a customers van with the loader while I was pushing snow, getting a loader hung up on one of our sheds with a post between the front wheel and loader arm. My personal favorite is we had a guy get both hands stuck under a unit of OBS while sitting on the forklift he also managed to run himself over with his own pickup truck shortly after that.

The one that I really remember but was only around 14 at the time and we still had our Mack R Model. We had two trailers that we ran, the loaded one was pulled by the truck and the empty would be loaded for the next day while the truck was gone. Our driver had come back from his run and went home leaving the guy in the yard to switch trailers. The guy switched trailers like always but forgot one important detail after hooking up to the loaded trailer. He forgot the tug test. He raised the landing gear got into the truck and proceeded to pull out from under the loaded trailer. So now the loaded trailer sat on it's landing gear in the raised position with the trailer sitting at about a 15*-20* angle and our forklift couldn't pick up the front of the trailer and the truck was scheduled to leave at 3am the next morning it was late afternoon when this happened. I don't remember how we got the trailer hooked back up the the semi but I think it involved a wrecker that was big enough to pick up the front of the trailer.

I haven't failed to do a tug test on any fifth wheel trailer after seeing that happen. And I am pretty sure you won't either going forward.

In the words of my Grandfather. You can go to school and learn, or you can learn from the school of hard knocks. Both are expensive, make sure you choose wisely. I have learned from the school of hard knock than I ever did going to school.
Well I haven’t failed to do a tug test yet.  I seem to be good at hooking up.  Unhooking was my issue.  Step one should not be rip open the latch on the fifth wheel.  And even though I know that, I did it anyway.  So I was lucky though because I had JUST enough reach left in the landing gear to get it high enough to hook back up.  When I say just high enough, it took two attempts because I had to shove the truck under the camper it was so tight.  But yeah, lesson learned.  Or lesson reinforced since I already knew not to do what I did. 

It’s funny how hearing how other people F’d up helps you feel a little better. I said to someone today that I wish it was Cassie that messed up my truck.  Haha. I wouldn’t even have yelled at her.  I would just say things happen and don’t worry about it.  We’ll get it fixed.  But I can’t bring myself to say the same thing to myself.  I’m so mad at myself for it.  I can’t stand looking at the truck.  I haven’t even taken any pictures of the damage. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2021, 06:12:05 PM »
Estimate was $6,102.25. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
Not bad

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2021, 09:49:31 AM »

I’m not sure he knows that he’s not a human.  This is how he cruises around with me every time.  I love this dog. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »
I dropped the truck off at the body shop yesterday morning.  Surprisingly they called me today with an update.  Basically the bed and all of the moldings and fenders are off.  The damage to the inside panels of the bed was worse than expected but doesn’t change anything.  It’s still fixable.  Fender hardware was all rusted and needs to be replaced so they had to order that.  So after two days of them having it it’s on schedule.  He reiterated to me that he knows I’m on a time crunch so I’m glad he’s not dismissing that even if it is just for show.  And they’re still waiting on the pinstriping.  That is the least of my concern. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »
And I guess I will post a couple pics.  I didn’t even take any until I dropped it off because of how disgusted I’ve been by it but I figured it’s all part of my story and I might as well. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2021, 08:26:31 PM »
I was expecting worse.

Any damage to the trailer?

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2021, 09:00:28 PM »
I was expecting worse.

Any damage to the trailer?

Nope.  None that I can tell.  I’ll be honest I haven’t inspected it for scratches.  Only structural. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the whole bed? Seems to me that brand new takeoff dually beds are pretty easy to come by.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the whole bed? Seems to me that brand new takeoff dually beds are pretty easy to come by.
Especially in white.  I think the problem is that it’s a King Ranch so the bottom half is Caribou while the top is white.  So unless you found that bed you would have to paint it anyway.  I assume it’s cheaper to buy the sides from Ford and have them nearer to paint than it is to purchase an entire bed that will need to be prepped anyway. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2021, 11:19:20 PM »
Nope.  None that I can tell.  I’ll be honest I haven’t inspected it for scratches.  Only structural. [/quote]

That is good news. 
I was worried that you had structural damage at that 90* turn in the trailer.

Did the insurance company cover having that checked or did you have to pay out of pocket for it.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Snow storm
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »
Just looked it over myself.  It’s solid.  I looked at the underneath of near camper the king pin.  Where it 90s down to the landing gear.  Nothing noticeable.  I’ve been up on the roof since and I haven’t found any issues.  I guess time will tell if anything isn’t showing yet.  If you think about how far it fell, it’s only a few inches before it makes contacted without the bed and then the suspension compressed and it slows to a stop, relative to if there was no suspension.  Most people that drop their camper so it because they failed to do a tug test and they’re driving forward when it falls, also taking out the tailgate. 

I think another reason for not swapping complete beds besides the paint is the truck came equipped with the 5th wheel puck system installed from the factory. 

They called again with another update.  It’s going well so far.  The new bed sides are being welded on today and it should go in to paint on Monday.

* Recent Photos

IMG_7075.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal