March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Snow storm  (Read 16257 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Snow storm
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Ok, b/c I am exhausted and sun burned...can you in the next couple of days take a photo of where that sensor is so i can take a look?   I am not sure how long I am going to last tonight.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 11:00:50 PM »
I do not have the 2019 6.4 shop manual, but this looks like the years I have

Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2021, 07:57:18 AM »
Ok, b/c I am exhausted and sun burned...can you in the next couple of days take a photo of where that sensor is so i can take a look?   I am not sure how long I am going to last tonight.
I can’t find one specific to the new body styles but this is what mine looks like.  It’s the bottom setup. 

There are 4 of them.  13 and 14 seem to be most common.  Mine was 14. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
Ok now that I ha e a few minutes...

There are four sensors.  Not sure if they change from year to year.  Most dealerships carry a few in stock. Scares they’re such a problem.  So much so that Ford extended the warranty on them.  That doesn’t exactly give me the warm and fuzzies knowing it’s covered when I’m stranded with trailer in tow.  The Ford dealer I spoke with says they soak in penetrating oil for 3 days before trying to remove.  Dealerships are applying nickel anti seize because of its higher temps.  Copper and silver harden during the hot temps these exhausts see.  1000 - 1200 during regen. 

I’m going to try to delete everything but knowing what I know now I would get under there and remove all of them and coat in permatex nickel anti seize and reinstall.  They make EGT sockets that are 6 point but open to allow you to slide the wire through.  You can install with a standard open 13mm wrench but want a 6 point socket for removal if possible.  If the sensor is bad and you’re replacing it, you can cut the wire and used a regular deep 6 point socket.  You need a code reader to determine the correct sensor.  They are EGT11, EGT12, EGT13 and EGT14.  Basically EGT Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank1 Sensor 2, etc.  the code reader is also important because should you get shut down and stranded, even if you fix it, unless you clear the code there is a built in fail safe where the truck won’t start for an hour.  So even if you fix it in 5 minutes, you’re a sitting duck for another 55. 

So in short, preventative steps is soak em, pull em, coat them in anti seize and put them back in.  Special sockets will make this easier

If preparing for a failure, buy a spare sensor (all four are the same regardless of location) and keep it in the truck, buy a code reader and keep it with you, keep appropriate tools on hand (13mm deep socket and ratchet, 13mm open wrench, and something to cut the wire to get the socket on... or just get the special sockets and a ratchet.) apply anti seize right then and there or Atleast as soon as you have time to do it at home. 

I can’t imagine the chaos this could cause you should it happen at the wrong time, far away from home. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2021, 09:43:52 PM »
I think I’ll stick with the 7.3 and a F350 if I go for a tow rig, lol.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 12:08:43 PM »
By the way, Jason, if you read this, when you have time maybe consider pulling out your EGTs and apply high temp anti seize.  Make sure it’s a nickel based anti seize and not copper.  Copper supposedly turns to concrete in high exhaust like temps.  And maybe carry a code reader and a spare EGT or two should you throw a code.  It should have been an easy 5 minute fix. 

Was this for me?   I haven't been following this thread as much sorry.
Yes.  It was for you.  Nobody else I believe is running a diesel with EGTs.  Maybe Dave but it may be too late for him.  Yours being a 19, you may still be able to get them out.  It’s very much worth it.  I had a mess on my hands and very little time to fix it. 

Mike, my truck isn't stock and I am pretty sure the previous owner deleted it shortly after taking delivery. If the sensor for my Mini-Max fails I'm just going to have them drill another hole in the other exhaust manifold. Plus when the truck is 13 years old and has 281,000 miles on it I doubt it would come out without the help of a torch and even that's a stretch.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »
By the way, Jason, if you read this, when you have time maybe consider pulling out your EGTs and apply high temp anti seize.  Make sure it’s a nickel based anti seize and not copper.  Copper supposedly turns to concrete in high exhaust like temps.  And maybe carry a code reader and a spare EGT or two should you throw a code.  It should have been an easy 5 minute fix. 

Yes.  It was for you.  Nobody else I believe is running a diesel with EGTs.  Maybe Dave but it may be too late for him.  Yours being a 19, you may still be able to get them out.  It’s very much worth it.  I had a mess on my hands and very little time to fix it. 

Mike, my truck isn't stock and I am pretty sure the previous owner deleted it shortly after taking delivery. If the sensor for my Mini-Max fails I'm just going to have them drill another hole in the other exhaust manifold. Plus when the truck is 13 years old and has 281,000 miles on it I doubt it would come out without the help of a torch and even that's a stretch.
Yeah.  I figured your truck was a lost cause as far as preventative maintenance.  Jason has a chance to spend some time and possibly save himself a headache down the line.

I crawled under to look at the transmission and the very bottom of the bell housing shows signs of a little moisture but it’s very subtle.  Hard to believe it’s be the cause of the smell.  Reached up too and it seems a bit more noticeable around the vent tube. These transmission run very hot so I’m not entirely surprised.  I was worried at first because I saw 207 degrees unloaded.  Did some digging and they are designed to run around 220-230.  Intact Ford doesn’t even program the fan to turn on until 247 degrees and even then it’s only running at 20%.  At 255 degrees the fan kicks up to 60%.  80% at 261.  It really makes you realize how important it is to run good fluid.  I cleaned up the bell housing good with brake clean so I will check it again after I get it hot again.  For what it’s worth, our Ram 4500s transmissions at work run at 165-168. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »

Dave, out of curiosity, what year is your truck and who tuned it?  Any issues?  This crap needs to go.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 04:09:32 PM »
My truck is a 2008 and I have no idea who tuned it but I am pretty sure the dealer deleted it because it's had the head gaskets done by them twice. The only real problem (I am going to regret this  :redneck:) has been the radiator which is a known issue on the 08-10 Super Duty Trucks because the Chassis flexes so much. I will say this much, even with the plow on my truck pushing snow I have only seen a steady 180* trans temp once and that was last year plowing here at work during one of the big storms. Most of the time it hovers somewhere in the 168-175 depending on the ambient temperature and if it's -0* or below I'll see it climb to 185* and then drop to around 170*. For a truck that weighs somewhere in the 11,000 to 12,000 pound range with my chubby ass, the plow,  full 100 gallon transfer tank, and full tank of fuel I am surprised there haven't been more Chassis or Drive Train related issues with the truck.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »
Trying to find a reputable tuner is difficult right now.  Guess I gotta make some calls.  None of these companies even sell the delete pipes anymore.  Canadian companies advertise they can’t ship delete products to US.  I have a friend who claims he can get me what I need but without a reputable name behind them I’m a little uneasy about it. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2021, 09:25:29 PM »
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
Mike, check out this site.

https://dpfdeleteshop.com/products/egr-delete-ford-powerstroke-diesel-6-7-17-19
I was looking at reviews.  It seems sketchy but people have said they got what they ordered.  They have a Caymen Islands address.  Parts seem to show up but tunes have been an issue from the reviews I’ve been reading.  People aren’t getting their tunes and they are horrible at answering emails.  Oh and they’re an email only company.  They claim it’s better that way because they can respond after traditional business hours. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2021, 09:40:52 PM »
Is Innovative still doing tunes?
Good enough never is

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2021, 08:10:37 PM »
Ship to me and I’ll ship to you no problem

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »
Call Obsessive Compulsive Diesel in Edmonton Canada. If you can talk to Ryan, he knows who I am (built Blue F150).

Order from him and I can pick up and ship to you.

* Recent Photos

Kaleb Hand 2.jpg

Views: 3
By: Kaleb G

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal