March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Mt biking video  (Read 52074 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Mt biking video
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »
Mike

i need another gopro....given what you know about the 8's and 9's....I am using the new 9...would you buy another 9 for my son or should I dail it back and get him an 8?   Amazon has renewed ones for 230.00.   Not interested in dropping another 4 hundo on a 9.  Yes I know the batteries are different and there is no front screen for vids but shit maybe I will get another 9....ugh,   yall buy some software from my company so I can eat....

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
Mike

i need another gopro....given what you know about the 8's and 9's....I am using the new 9...would you buy another 9 for my son or should I dail it back and get him an 8?   Amazon has renewed ones for 230.00.   Not interested in dropping another 4 hundo on a 9.  Yes I know the batteries are different and there is no front screen for vids but shit maybe I will get another 9....ugh,   yall buy some software from my company so I can eat....
Just get another 9.  I skipped the 8 but the 9 is physically bigger and a better camera plus like you mentioned with the batteries, might as well keep everything as simple as possible. 

That video was a definite improvement.  The camera angle was nice.  The sun was harsh in some of those shots where it was head on but there might not be much you can do about that.  It made the leaves look too sharp and overly crispy.  Again, not sure if that’s fixable.  Colors looked pretty good.  I watched it in the higher resolution and it looked great. 

Do you know what shutter speed you’re using.  Should be close to 1/50 if you’re shooting at 24fps. If you can achieve that I would test it before you shoot an entire video.  Not sure how it might affect going in and out of bright light. 

I got a kick out of Nick checking up on the brakes when he split those trees and him apologizing.  I for sure would have clipped on out of sheer panic.  Haha.  He’s killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
yeah the brake check is the responsibility of the guy in the back...i was a tad close to him...it happens.

I pretty much knew what you were going to suggest but damn that hurts to buy another 9.   

I tried adding some drone shots to it...will do a better job of that in another video...there was so many people there, nick and both got bothered by all the eyes....we left that drone up in the air for like 10 min, people were just staring at it waiting for it to do something...LOL.     Adding all these elements sure does change the complexity of show up and ride..   but shit, that is how some of the influencers and creators are making big money...not that we are trying to do that but he wanted some street cred in the hallways of his school. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »
yeah the brake check is the responsibility of the guy in the back...i was a tad close to him...it happens.

I pretty much knew what you were going to suggest but damn that hurts to buy another 9.   

I tried adding some drone shots to it...will do a better job of that in another video...there was so many people there, nick and both got bothered by all the eyes....we left that drone up in the air for like 10 min, people were just staring at it waiting for it to do something...LOL.     Adding all these elements sure does change the complexity of show up and ride..   but shit, that is how some of the influencers and creators are making big money...not that we are trying to do that but he wanted some street cred in the hallways of his school.
It’s funny you say that about show up and ride.  I’m that guy when we go riding that takes an extra half hour to get all my sh!t together and get the cameras set up while everyone impatiently waits for me.  And then all the battery swaps because we are out for hours and hours.  I’ll go through eight batteries a day sometimes between cameras. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
yeah totally,

Group rides they say, "be here at 1" to ride.  That means be trail ready at 1 ready to go, not show up at 1 and get your shit on. 

LOL

I get it, I just finished up setting up my old GoPro 3+...took a full hour to get it working and mounted...so I am putting that on his helmet and going to test it out today to see how bad the video quality is compaired to the 9....then will make a decision on getting another 9 and when.   Thank God batteries for these cameras are cheap on amazon

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 02:04:23 PM »
yeah totally,

Group rides they say, "be here at 1" to ride.  That means be trail ready at 1 ready to go, not show up at 1 and get your shit on. 

LOL

I get it, I just finished up setting up my old GoPro 3+...took a full hour to get it working and mounted...so I am putting that on his helmet and going to test it out today to see how bad the video quality is compaired to the 9....then will make a decision on getting another 9 and when.   Thank God batteries for these cameras are cheap on amazon
You’re going to hate it.  Not the actually video quality but the stabilization just isn’t there.  Last time I rode in Tennessee I had a 4 facing rearward and a 7 facing forward.  And a 4 on Cassie’s helmet.  The 7 blew them out of the water.  With all of them before the 7 you had to be careful how it was mounted and your movements so you didnt make the viewer sick from all the movement.  I have a 3+, two 4s, a 7 and a 9.  The 4 was able to make some shots look more aggressive and raw.  Made you feel a little more like you were part of it.  So I don’t think they’re totally useless.  It makes for some good extra scenes. 

You can skip around these two videos for an example.  Anything facing backwards or mounted to a helmet is a 4.  SxS facing forward is the 7 where they really introduced hyper smooth. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
Those vids are great, the color!!    wow. 

Yeah, pulling the trigger on another 9.    My brother has a 4 he would give me, just gonna pass and get modern.

What the hell right?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
Those vids are great, the color!!    wow. 

Yeah, pulling the trigger on another 9.    My brother has a 4 he would give me, just gonna pass and get modern.

What the hell right?
Hero 9 gets my vote.  If you already had an 8 then I would say just get another 8 so everything is directly swapable (that a word?). 

Those videos were before I discovered color grading and was just running mostly stock GoPro settings.  Disappointing really because they could have been so much better given what I know now.  I did color grading and full custom settings for my hiking videos from Acadia National Park in Maine.  Also had custom settings on my last trip out doing some local riding but that footage sits uneditable on my current laptop.  It was peak autumn season too.  Not sure why it’s so different than my hero 7 footage that I could easily edit.  Higher bit rate maybe?  I may hit the laptop with some more memory to get by for now.  See if it helps. 

These are the Maine videos that I color graded.  They could probably use some fine tuning.  I misspelled the title in the first video and didn’t realize it until I uploaded.  F it...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »
Of course...ok, bought another 9 directly off GoPro b/c they had a deal, 150 off the camera, extra bat, 64g card and all i had to do was buy the 1 year subscription for 49 bucks/...so net net, I saved around 200 bucks.

We are going to surprise the kids with this one..it will be theirs that I get privileges too.   They can use on their bikes and daughter can use for horse etc.

JP

If I find a used 8 for sale for cheap, I may pick one up JUST for rear facing shots under my seat.   I think that will be a good perspective on the downhill gravity jump lines and I don't see people using it that often so wanted to give that a try. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 06:59:06 PM »
Of course...ok, bought another 9 directly off GoPro b/c they had a deal, 150 off the camera, extra bat, 64g card and all i had to do was buy the 1 year subscription for 49 bucks/...so net net, I saved around 200 bucks.

We are going to surprise the kids with this one..it will be theirs that I get privileges too.   They can use on their bikes and daughter can use for horse etc.

JP

If I find a used 8 for sale for cheap, I may pick one up JUST for rear facing shots under my seat.   I think that will be a good perspective on the downhill gravity jump lines and I don't see people using it that often so wanted to give that a try.
That’s the same deal I got on my 9 when I bought it.  As a plus the subscription saves you a bunch of money on accessories... like the max Lense mod I plan to get.

The cool thing about the rear shots, for me and likely for you as well, is it gives a good oncoming view of those behind you.  This is great when I ride and can rooster tail some mud on people or for power sliding around and kicking up dust, people accelerating towards me from behind and then the front one can catch them actually passing and pulling away.  All adds to the dynamic of the video. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
Not sure why you're not putting these on YouTube and monetize them.   They are great vids.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
Not sure why you're not putting these on YouTube and monetize them.   They are great vids.
I don’t put out enough content and the $0.37 a year I would make on them doesn’t exactly excite me.  Also, no one really gives a shit.  Haha.  I do it for sharing with friends and family.  Facebook also ruins the quality of everything so I needed another hosting location.  I might go back to YouTube though. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »
yeah I hear ya,   

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
Looks like I have some reading and video watching to do. I just picked up a hero9, lol.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »
Looks like I have some reading and video watching to do. I just picked up a hero9, lol.

Heck yes!!   I just a second 9 in ....its for "the kids" but i am taking it tomorrow for a ride...going front and back.   

Mike is the expert...i am just following his lead here.   

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal