1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: More Power  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
More Power
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »
I'd mentioned in a recent shout that I'd had my trusty 28 year old 22' Progression re-powered. I figured maybe I should post some pics since if I didn't, it never happened.

So the boat used to have a nice two stroke 2.5 liter / 200 HP Mercury outboard screwed to the transom. Well, it said it was 200 HP, but the motor spent some time at one of the best Mercury high performance shops in the country a number of years ago and was actually putting out 240 HP. It was good for 77 MPH on GPS under the right conditions. Here's what the boat and the motor used to look like:

As much as I loved the old girl, parts were getting hard to find and silly expensive, so I started thinking seriously about upgrading late last summer. Serious discussions with Performance Marine (about 4 hours from me) late in the summer firmed up plans for a new motor and a number of rigging upgrades to compliment it. What we ended up installing was a brand new four stroke Mercury Racing 250R. It's 4.6 liters in displacement, but only about 120 pounds heavier. Here's what it looked like just after they hung the new motor:

Late last week, the boat was ready for testing and final setup work on Lake George. With World Champion racer Johnny Saris at the wheel, here's what the boat looked like along with the recall number from the new GPS speedometer:

Last, but not least, here's the old girl with the new nuclear reactor on the transom when I got her home and just before I put her away for the winter. Does size matter?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: More Power
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
That thing looks out of hand back there... I like it! 

So I’ve never really given any though to the speedometer on a boat.  Are they all GPS and if not how does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »
That thing looks out of hand back there... I like it! 

So I’ve never really given any though to the speedometer on a boat.  Are they all GPS and if not how does that work?

Thanks Mike! It used to be that boats all used a speedometer driven by a pitot tube hung off the transom. As you moved forward, the water pressure from that movement would pressurize the air in a line that went to the speedometer head. There, a diaphragm would deflect causing a needle to move indicating your speed. These things were wildly inaccurate and usually just called "dream-o-meters." (Yea, they usually read high.) Most high performance speedometers these days are GPS based and much more accurate. They also usually have a "recall" function so you can easily call up how fast you just went when you scared the crap out of someone.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:22:58 AM »
That is awesome!!! That’s one heck of a upgrade. I don’t think most folks realize how much $$$ outboards are.

That is gonna be some wicked fun this summer

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
That is awesome!!! That’s one heck of a upgrade. I don’t think most folks realize how much $$$ outboards are.

That is gonna be some wicked fun this summer

That would be me.  I’m most people.  I couldn’t even wager guess.  I can look at it and go well, that probably wasn’t cheap.  I even know a few people with boats and I’m still completely clueless.  I have a kayak though.  Haha same thing right...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:34:22 AM »
Let's just say the new outboard and rigging cost me the same as the entire boat, motor and trailer back in 1992. Then again, it's the last outboard I'll ever put on the boat. Hell, you only live once! My grandson can't wait to drive it with the new motor. His mom's not nearly as excited.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »

When the specs include 4.6 liters in displacement, that should be the sign of how expensive one is... :wow:
Steve

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
Tom, did Stella have you up your life insurance policy before you put that on the boat? :uugly: I am a pretty staunch supporter of go big or go home but I think that Monster would scare me to take it past half throttle let alone wide open.
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
Tom, did Stella have you up your life insurance policy before you put that on the boat? :uugly: I am a pretty staunch supporter of go big or go home but I think that Monster would scare me to take it past half throttle let alone wide open.
Dave,

She has mentioned some "concerns" about a 22' boat that can tickle 90 MPH. I did try to explain to her that the boat has this thing called a throttle which allows me to go slower if I want. She rolled her eyes. I guess she knows me too well. But hey, Herbie will be boating with us this summer so I'm going to have to behave when he's in the boat.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 04:49:46 PM »
Dave,

She has mentioned some "concerns" about a 22' boat that can tickle 90 MPH. I did try to explain to her that the boat has this thing called a throttle which allows me to go slower if I want. She rolled her eyes. I guess she knows me too well. But hey, Herbie will be boating with us this summer so I'm going to have to behave when he's in the boat.

I see her concern, but I can't say much though. I took one of our flatbeds up to 83 MPH fully loaded once it took me about 4 to 5 miles to get it there and that was the first and last time I did it.
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 06:18:42 PM »
Dave,

I see her concern, but I can't say much though. I took one of our flatbeds up to 83 MPH fully loaded once it took me about 4 to 5 miles to get it there and that was the first and last time I did it.
I didn't know you could turn a diesel 6,000 RPM!  :funny:

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »
Dave,

I didn't know you could turn a diesel 6,000 RPM!  :funny:

It was only turning just shy of half that.  :drive:
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »
I can only imagine the explanation you'd have given a cop if you got pulled over. After he stopped laughing that is.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »
I can only imagine the explanation you'd have given a cop if you got pulled over. After he stopped laughing that is.
I don’t know exactly what he means by loaded flatbed but I can tell you I’ve been asked if I’m out of my mind before.  Which was met with a snarky “well you need to be a bit more specific.”  I was cited...

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 07:10:56 PM »

This was out where I’m living now in the middle of know where and the police only come out here if they have to.
Good enough never is

* Recent Photos

IMG_8017.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal