* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...  (Read 25947 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 04:53:23 AM »
I just want to add

If you and I both keep our current TV's....no matter what 5er you put back there we are going to be border line or over.

Is it the end of the world no.  I looked at the specs of my past 2 5ers and only one of them was in spec for the 06 KR I had...i did have air bags with compressor and I could air up as needed....our last 5er was 9400 lbs dry....by math the pin weight should of been around 1400 lbs but it wasn't, it was closer to 2200 lbs when loaded.   I ran 45-55 lbs of air in the bags to bring the set up to level.   Was I over pin weight, you betcha....was i over gross...no but borderline.  Did I tow it with ease, you betcha....if I ever got in an accident and they checked the door or specs of the truck....welp I would probably be liable for being over weight. 

Is our motor strong enough to pull anything....yes it is.  Do people do it?  ALL DAY LONG.  I have seen more overloaded F250s since i started loooking.  I have seen 3X Toy Haulers getting pulled daily with 250s....they are way over weight.   

Comes down to, are you good with that?   Rolling down the highway at 70 mph with that much in your back pack is something to think about.
All very helpful.  Thank you. 

I'm still looking for accurate numbers to compare, even if slightly generalized because of vehicle options, between and f250 crew cab and an f350 crew cab.  I am confident in my ability to handle the extra load but DOT is out in droves going over vehicles that are towing and throwing scales under stuff.  It's even worse in NJ where I frequent.  So far it's been only drive on scales that weigh the current combined weight that I have had to deal with but I see it at turnpike tolls all the time where they get the scales out and are crawling all underneath of the vehicles.  Most of the time they're just screwing with mexicans in box trucks marked only by graffiti running out of state plates.  But the fear is still there. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »
Only thing I would think about, if you’re considering a DRW is driving it around and parking in the city. They aren’t the most fun to park.

I’m not sure if you’ll see much difference in MPGs. My brothers F450 DRW was not a much different than his F250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Only thing I would think about, if you’re considering a DRW is driving it around and parking in the city. They aren’t the most fun to park.

I’m not sure if you’ll see much difference in MPGs. My brothers F450 DRW was not a much different than his F250.

Back when I bought my 2015 GMC 2500, I test drove a 14 Ram Laramie Dually.  I really liked it but didn't like the idea of parking it in parking lots.  It was a lot of truck.  It actually had less mileage and was cheaper but I didn't think it was right for me.  I didn't need it either.  I've always sort of regretted it.  And I'm worried I'm going to regret it again but my mind set is still on that same wavelength that if I dont need it, in other words if a SRW will get the job done, then don't get one.  All comes down to the numbers though.  What I need and what I can find.  It sucks that it's so difficult to just go window shop.  Everywhere wants an appointment. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »

Back when I bought my 2015 GMC 2500, I test drove a 14 Ram Laramie Dually.  I really liked it but didn't like the idea of parking it in parking lots.  It was a lot of truck.  It actually had less mileage and was cheaper but I didn't think it was right for me.  I didn't need it either.  I've always sort of regretted it.  And I'm worried I'm going to regret it again but my mind set is still on that same wavelength that if I dont need it, in other words if a SRW will get the job done, then don't get one.  All comes down to the numbers though.  What I need and what I can find.  It sucks that it's so difficult to just go window shop.  Everywhere wants an appointment. 

Good plan, because otherwise you may not be super happy about the choice in the end.

It’s also alway possible for you to grab a little shitbox and use that for daily tasks. I found a nice ‘09 Legacy GT for $4k, that I should have jumped on.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
Mike,

Is there a reason you don't look at a Gas RV with an option for a trailer for toys or car carrier for Cassie's car in tow ?

Mom & Dad are still using their 2001 Itasca 38G for snow bird winter trips south pulling the CRV on a dolly.   They put 6K+ miles on this setup from JAN to APR each year.

By time you get a 5th wheel toy hauler Travel Trailer, a TV that can legally haul it and maybe look to an additional vehicle for daily tasks, you might be money ahead to get a RV that will pull the SBS's or Cassie's car behind it.
I think you already have the trailer for the SBS's.

Most states do not need a different license for an RV.

Just a thought...
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »
Mike,

Is there a reason you don't look at a Gas RV with an option for a trailer for toys or car carrier for Cassie's car in tow ?

Mom & Dad are still using their 2001 Itasca 38G for snow bird winter trips south pulling the CRV on a dolly.   They put 6K+ miles on this setup from JAN to APR each year.

By time you get a 5th wheel toy hauler Travel Trailer, a TV that can legally haul it and maybe look to an additional vehicle for daily tasks, you might be money ahead to get a RV that will pull the SBS's or Cassie's car behind it.
I think you already have the trailer for the SBS's.

Most states do not need a different license for an RV.

Just a thought...
A fair thought.  I might not have a good reason really other than I dont really like them.  They're also fairly expensive.  Atleast to my taste.  I don't know much about them.  Can you level them out when you park to set up camp?  We may not always haul toys but we so plan on loading the dogs up and traveling around a bit.  We have no idea where our travels where take us but I want to be flexible.  Also, a big factor is that my daily driver has the fuel payed for through my company.  Within reason anyway.  I'd foot the bill if I was driving across country because I just feel it's the right thing to so but not for a days drive. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 09:17:46 PM »
I might not have a good reason really other than I dont really like them.

That would be a show stopper.

They're also fairly expensive.  Atleast to my taste.
If you are including the TV, a toybox Travel trailer and having to get a new Daily driver not sure how an RV is going to be more. 
Taste is going to be equal from the TT to the RV, or at least should be if you are comparing apples to apples.  If you are dumping in a 5 gal bucket in the Toy hauler, don't complain about only having a 45" LCD on the RV.
A fairly new F450 DRW is going to be ~ 50% of the cost of a fairly new 35' + dual side slides RV...    A 2016 F450 dually ( in range of 001 ) is 47K. 
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 35P over in knoxville is $100K ( 25K miles ).  V10 with the 5 speed trans on a Ford F53 chassis w/ 5K towing ( 24K GVWR ).

BTW : Don't let anyone kid you, a gas RV will get the job done hauling a trailer or a car dolly.  Mom & Dad have north of 100K miles in this conifg ( 2001 version ) including the Blueridge, smokies and in the foot hills of CO ( Pueblo and Denver ) towing car dolly.

Can you level them out when you park to set up camp? 
Yep.  Dad's 2001 Itasca has the controls in the cab. 
He added the autolevel unit that is bluetooth to a tablet or phone that takes care of leveling it instead of watching the bubble level on the counter.  The unit shows you which way needs to move up with the auto option.
Awnings, theirs are manual, but the example above where the auto awnings ( will close if the win is too high ).

We have no idea where our travels where take us but I want to be flexible. 
Not sure what this means. 
Do you plan on taking a 5th wheel more off road than an RV ?
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »
I might not have a good reason really other than I dont really like them.

That would be a show stopper.

They're also fairly expensive.  Atleast to my taste.
If you are including the TV, a toybox Travel trailer and having to get a new Daily driver not sure how an RV is going to be more. 
Taste is going to be equal from the TT to the RV, or at least should be if you are comparing apples to apples.  If you are dumping in a 5 gal bucket in the Toy hauler, don't complain about only having a 45" LCD on the RV.
A fairly new F450 DRW is going to be ~ 50% of the cost of a fairly new 35' + dual side slides RV...    A 2016 F450 dually ( in range of 001 ) is 47K. 
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 35P over in knoxville is $100K ( 25K miles ).  V10 with the 5 speed trans on a Ford F53 chassis w/ 5K towing ( 24K GVWR ).

BTW : Don't let anyone kid you, a gas RV will get the job done hauling a trailer or a car dolly.  Mom & Dad have north of 100K miles in this conifg ( 2001 version ) including the Blueridge, smokies and in the foot hills of CO ( Pueblo and Denver ) towing car dolly.

Can you level them out when you park to set up camp? 
Yep.  Dad's 2001 Itasca has the controls in the cab. 
He added the autolevel unit that is bluetooth to a tablet or phone that takes care of leveling it instead of watching the bubble level on the counter.  The unit shows you which way needs to move up with the auto option.
Awnings, theirs are manual, but the example above where the auto awnings ( will close if the win is too high ).

We have no idea where our travels where take us but I want to be flexible. 
Not sure what this means. 
Do you plan on taking a 5th wheel more off road than an RV ?
I wouldn't go as high as a F450.  Right out of the gate that really limits my towing to 10k legally as most 4500s/F450s are already GVWR of 16k.  26k is the GCVWR limit for a standard license.  The new (to me) tow vehicle would be an F350.  I just don't know if a SRW will be enough truck or if a DRW will be too much truck on the same way that an F450 is too much truck.  The cost of the new vehicle is minor as long as it fits my budget.  Ita not like I'm choosing between having a daily and having an RV.  I need the daily regardless of whether I scrapped this whole idea or not.  The financial part of the daily will be there regardless.  It's just a matter of will it cost me an extra $5k-$10k for the upgrade.  I will likely go with a very lightly used camper.  And actually traveling down to the Knoxville area is a real possibility since that's the area where we have family.  He's always looking for me and sending me campers.  They're much cheaper down there.  So maybe daily and camper put me at 100k give or take but that's better than 100k for the RV and then the cost of a daily on top of that. 

The part about not knowing where our travels will take us had more to do with the leveling aspect of the RV.  You never know where you might end up setting up shop.  It was a sincere question when I asked if they leveled because I just didn't know. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
Well I did a thing today... I completed step one of the camper process.  I'm really sad to see the 18 F250 go.  It was fun to drive.  I enjoyed it.  It just wasn't up to the task of towing anything.  This will fix that issue while adding a little luxury back to my life.  Had to go a couple years older but lower miles.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
Well I did a thing today... I completed step one of the camper process.  I'm really sad to see the 18 F250 go.  It was fun to drive.  I enjoyed it.  It just wasn't up to the task of towing anything.  This will fix that issue while adding a little luxury back to my life.  Had to go a couple years older but lower miles.

SWEET! Congratulations! Don't tease us with just one pic though!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 07:24:50 PM »

Tomorrow.  Haha.  It was dark when I got home.  If it's light on t before I pull out with the company truck tomorrow morning I will grab a few pics. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 07:30:28 PM »
Bloody hell, should be able to pretty much pull anything.  I would love to see the sticker in the door for payload....

Congrats man.  If I had a place to park that, I would consider going that direction and then hit the 3 axle toy hauler!   

Which sounds like you are leaning that way.....LOL. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »
Awesome! My brother loves his 450!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »

Tomorrow.  Haha.  It was dark when I got home.  If it's light on t before I pull out with the company truck tomorrow morning I will grab a few pics. 

Did I mention that I kinda like the color too?   :funny:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
I think that’s a good thing in this case. That’s a lot of sheet metal to keep shiny

* Recent Photos

IMG_9405.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal