1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...  (Read 25910 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
I would google this topic, it's out there.

I am reading that you can totally run E rated tires.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »
I would google this topic, it's out there.

I am reading that you can totally run E rated tires.
I’ve read A LOT.  Most info comes up for the camper tires either E or G.  The camper isn’t an issue.  I honestly don’t think the truck tires are an issue either.  I think a G tire would be fine.  If it’s good enough to come factory on a commercial 4500 with a 16k gross than I don’t see why it wouldn’t be good enough for a similar truck with a 14k gross.  I think I am going to look at the load tables for different tires and go from there.  The only thing I’ve gotten out of all the reading is that an H rated tire would require less psi than a G rated tire if hauling the same load.  Which makes sense.  G rated tires are also 14 ply cars 16 ply for the H. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2021, 02:18:38 PM »
Ridge Grapplers have load E and F options. Seriously a good tire and I found them just as capable in winter as my KO2’s.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
Ridge Grapplers have load E and F options. Seriously a good tire and I found them just as capable in winter as my KO2’s.

I had the ridge grapplers on my GMC 2500.  I didn’t really have any complaints.  I never had a tire I liked in the snow as much as my original BFG ATs but they were on a 96 Explorer 4.0.  Far from the numbers any of my last trucks put down as far as power, size and weight.  Cassie’s KO2s on her Outback are phenomenal. 

I will have to look at them but I’m not sure about dropping two letter grades.  Not even sure they will have them in a 19.5” wheel.  Some guys upgrade to 20s just for the additional options but then I’m looking at another couple grand on top of the tires. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
Mike they make the Transforce AT2 in your size and they are only about $20 a tire than what I paid for mine at Pomp's.

https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-transforce-at2-steer-225-70r19-5-125-123l-f-12-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2021, 05:02:02 PM »
Mike they make the Transforce AT2 in your size and they are only about $20 a tire than what I paid for mine at Pomp's.

https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-transforce-at2-steer-225-70r19-5-125-123l-f-12-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/
What’s your opinion on the load range being an F?  To my knowledge these came stock with H rated tires.  It SEEMS excessive but worried about the liability of going to a lesser rated tire. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
If your tires are rated for more than the GAWR of the truck, I’m not seeing how there could be any issue.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
If your tires are rated for more than the GAWR of the truck, I’m not seeing how there could be any issue.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on tires.  I need to actually go look at my tires now
But I think they may indeed be G rated tires and not H as I originally thought.  I could probably get away with F rated tires but I would have to run them at a higher psi which I guess I’d have to compare the load inflation tables.  The other thing I’m finding is a lot of the tires that lean a little more towards ATs are only rated for 75mph.  That’s fine if I’m towing the camper but I also use it as a daily driver and spend a lot of time on the turnpike where 75 mph is slow. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2021, 10:59:36 PM »
The fun of a F450...

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:13 AM »
The fun of a F450...

I’m curious how the Goodyear tires run in the snow on our new 4500 at work.  I wonder how my boss would feel if during the next snow storm I go joyriding in the brand new truck that hasn’t even been on a job site yet. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
5th Wheeler Camper guys...
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
Leaning towards eventually getting the Toyo M920.  They retain the N speed rating of 87 mph and are supposed to be excellent in the snow.  The tread design looks like a good snow tire.  I only worry about overall tread life.  It does have a deep tread though as well.  A second set of wheels would be ideal.  Might have to keep my eyes open for a winter wheel. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:04:55 AM by Kitzy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
Those are beefy

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2021, 01:16:07 PM »
I went around and checked the air pressure this morning in all of the tires.  Duallys suck by the way.  I assumed the dealership set me up right when they went through everything before I took ownership.  Wrong.  They were all over the place.  Should be 90 in the front and 80 in the rear.  Rear were 93, 82, 86 and 85.  Front were 75 and 76.  People make my head hurt.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »
Yeah, I can’t say I’m surprised with the pressure being all over the map.

I pinged my brother with the F450 and he is actually running those Toyos. He says they are pretty good for the weight rating in the winter. He really doesn’t tow much this time of year though. He is only a couple hundred miles south of the Yukon Border, so sees a lot of winter roads (he’s a logger).

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »

What’s your opinion on the load range being an F?  To my knowledge these came stock with H rated tires.  It SEEMS excessive but worried about the liability of going to a lesser rated tire. 

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it unless you are constantly bumping up against the weight limit of the truck every time you hit the road and I am guessing you are close but not quite there with the truck and trailer. I would worry about it more if you were buying no name China Bomb Tires but that's not the case with what you are doing.

Even brand name tires have issues right off the shelf. This picture was taken shortly after we replace all eight drives on one of our Boom Trucks.

Good enough never is

* Recent Photos

IMG_8613.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal