* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33183 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 3D One
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »
Ever have one of those days? I've had a couple in a row. First, they toss me a 2008 Scion xB that used to be a Parts Delivery vehicle. (I used to drive it.) It's got 203,000 miles on it and they pretty much gave up on using it for deliveries. Did they want me to detail it? Nope. They want to wholesale it, so they want the wrap taken off. The wrap was put on in 2011. Can you say baked on? It took me 5 hours just to get most of the wrap off the sides and back. The hood is totally baked on and cracked to beat the band. I'm thinking a couple more hours of playing with myself will maybe get half of it off. Since there's no big hurry though, I can use this job as fill in work. Wish me luck.

Then there was this 2019 Camry with just 19,000 miles on it that rolled on for a full detail to go on the Used Car lot. How bad could this possibly be? Oh wait, it's black. Oh yea, and whomever owned this thing beat the ever loving crap out of the paint. How's this for just a couple of teaser shots of the damage? Both driver side door handles look like this:

Then there's the matter of the trunk lid. I'm not making this s__t up.

I spent 4 1/2 hours doing a full 2 stage correction. I almost never do 2 stage correction on used cars because I just don't get paid enough to make it worthwhile. I still have the interior to do and I can't wait to see what surprises lurk within. Pics of the finished paint tomorrow.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »
The whole vehicle is wrapped?

That looks like a woman’s car.  I’ve seen that trunk kid damage before.  They throw their purse up on there and then drag it off.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2021, 08:13:02 PM »

That looks like a woman’s car.  I’ve seen that trunk kid damage before.  They throw their purse up on there and then drag it off.  Good luck.

On the xB, yes, everything except the roof and the front air dam and rear bumper are wrapped. The hood is the biggest thing I have left. The rockers are still wrapped, but there's so many stone chips, it's like trying to pull off bits and pieces of swiss cheese.

I figured the exact same thing on the Camry. The scratches on the door handles are a dead give away.  The truck has much more than purse damage though. I'm figuring grocery bags or cardboard boxes. Maybe even square dancing practice. Words fail me.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2021, 12:35:39 AM »
I had to pull a wrap off a van if you guys will recall...i used GAS

worst day of my life. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
I had to pull a wrap off a van if you guys will recall...i used GAS

worst day of my life.
And if I recall correctly, you were outside. Since I'm working in the Service Department, I think I'll pass on that particular solvent.

I went back at it today - on the hood. After 45 minutes with the heat gun, I'd managed to remove about 10% of the hood surface area. I went back to the Service Manager and we agreed to send it to the auction just the way it is. Thank god!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »

I finally got around to taking some pics of the finished Camry this morning. The inside was pretty decent. The outside - even though it looks a ton better - is still nothing I'd be proud to sign my name to. Whomever owned this thing just hammered the paint to death. It does look significantly better though. The scratches above the driver's door handle are 90% gone. Please forgive the dust that settled on it overnight.

The trunk lid came out amazingly well. Not everything corrected, but good enough for a used car. (Did I actually just say that?)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
yes Tom, I was outside and that is a good pick up.

Car looks great, and good call on selling it.   45 min to get a little off.   Ugh.   

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »

Car looks great, and good call on selling it.   45 min to get a little off.   Ugh.
Even outside, I have no idea how you put up with gas fumes for any length of time.  :dope:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »

Even outside, I have no idea how you put up with gas fumes for any length of time.  :dope:

It wasn't so bad, but the gas eventually ate through the goves we were using, that was the worse part...never going to forget that.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »
Tom, did you consider one of those eraser wheels for a drill?  It worked amazing on my trailer for vinyl lettering.  I think it would have worked and could have been cleaned up with a solvent after.

Crazy improvement on that car.  That’s amazing! 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »
Tom, did you consider one of those eraser wheels for a drill?  It worked amazing on my trailer for vinyl lettering.  I think it would have worked and could have been cleaned up with a solvent after.

Crazy improvement on that car.  That’s amazing! 

I have one of those eraser wheels, but by the look and feel of that hood, I would have needed a dozen of them. The car is getting loaded on a truck to go to the auction tomorrow. I can't wait to see it gone!

As for the Camry, thanks. It looks a ton better, but it's still not up to my standards. Since I've got 4 1/2 hours into it though, it's as good as its going to get.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:49 PM »

It wasn't so bad, but the gas eventually ate through the goves we were using, that was the worse part...never going to forget that.
By my rough count, you've replied to at least 3 threads in the past 24 hours. You feeling ok?  :funny:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2021, 07:53:42 PM »

By my rough count, you've replied to at least 3 threads in the past 24 hours. You feeling ok?  :funny:
He’s been killing it lately!  I’m having a hard time keeping up with him! 

You’d be surprised at how long those eraser wheels last.   Put mine to work.  When I first started I thought I was going to need a third one and I still only had one.  I quickly ordered a second one But never even needed it.  Even better than needing one, though, is having the vehicle gone and not needing one.  Haha

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
I've got a 2018 Corolla with 25,000 miles on it sitting in my bay for a full used car detail. As I was washing the snow and salt off of it, I ran into this:

Oh, and did I mention that the rest of the BLACK paint is pretty well hammered and scratched too. Good lord, what do people do to these cars! The Used Car Manager says he doesn't want to send it out for paint and he wants to see what kind of miracle I can pull off. Oh well, at least it's a Corolla and not a Tundra or something big. I'm going to start (and hopefully finish) it tomorrow and will post more pics. Wish me luck!

PS: I'm blaming JP for this one since the car came from Texas.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »
I've got a 2018 Corolla with 25,000 miles on it sitting in my bay for a full used car detail. As I was washing the snow and salt off of it, I ran into this:

Oh, and did I mention that the rest of the BLACK paint is pretty well hammered and scratched too. Good lord, what do people do to these cars! The Used Car Manager says he doesn't want to send it out for paint and he wants to see what kind of miracle I can pull off. Oh well, at least it's a Corolla and not a Tundra or something big. I'm going to start (and hopefully finish) it tomorrow and will post more pics. Wish me luck!

PS: I'm blaming JP for this one since the car came from Texas.
So is that mostly paint transfer or a lack of paint?

* Recent Photos

IMG_3181.JPG

Views: 0
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal