March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33175 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 3D One
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2020, 07:20:27 PM »
Nope... That shine comes through loud and clear!  Wow. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2020, 08:57:09 PM »

Might be time to try a coating on the new truck. Hint, hint ... :om:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2020, 09:01:21 PM »

Might be time to try a coating on the new truck. Hint, hint ... :om:
So I was sitting at a light today and looked in the side mirror and saw a bunch of swirls on the dually fender.  That's one of the down sides to the  dually fenders, you can see them... Very well.  Haha.  I can't tell you how much this bothered me. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
That's one of the down sides to the  dually fenders, you can see them... Very well.  Haha.  I can't tell you how much this bothered me. 

I don't think think you can to explain it, we all know it all too well.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2020, 08:43:52 PM »
I had a couple of 2018 RAV4's roll through my bay this week. Both had less than 25,000 miles on them. Both were lease returns. The silver one looked to be in significantly better shape, so I detailed it first. Bad choice. It had some terrible outside body shop paint work on the right rear corner that although the color matched perfectly, really messed up the whole vehicle. So, I won't share any pics of that here.

The Aqua Blue one however had real easy to spot absolutely hammered paint. How bad? "washed with a rake and steel wool" bad. Doesn't look bad from a distance right?

Let's look at the hood - which was representative of the whole vehicle - a bit closer.

Yea, it was bad. But since I was under absolutely no time pressure, I took it as a personal challenge and went in with all guns blazing. That meant Hex Logic Cutting pads and Menzerna Heavy Cut 400 Compound. I really don't like using this stuff because it reminds me of Meguiar's M105 without quite so much balling up of the polish. It also makes controlling the Flex pretty difficult because it pulls the pad all over the place. It also makes a pretty good dusting mess while doing an awesome job of correction. How well did it correct?

A little closer in:

The right rear quarter panel had what for this vehicle was a "typical" amount of defects. Here's what it looked like to start with:

Here's that same panel after the Menzerna 400:

Here's that same panel after a pass with 3D One on a Hex Logic pad. If you're keeping score, this means I did a full second pass on the vehicle. I almost never do that on used cars.

Much to my amazement, this RAV came out way better than the silver one. I found it utterly amazing that anybody could do that much damage to the paint in so few years and miles. I found it equally amazing that I could bring it this far back.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
Wow.  Hell of a turn around on that.  That was in rough shape. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »
You pulled that one back from the dead! I’m liking that color.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
You pulled that one back from the dead! I’m liking that color.

Thank you guys!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2020, 08:27:05 PM »
Gentlemen, I offer you the absolute finest used car I've detailed to date. It's a 2018 4Runner with about 19,000 miles on it. It was a lease return - which normally means the vehicle was hammered. But this one was different - really different. The interior was almost spotless. Literally all I did was wash the rubber floor mats, vacuum the carpets, dress the vinyl and clean the windows. It was incredible.

The exterior was nice, but it had some issues. Whomever owned it took very good care of it, but probably washed it with a brush. That meant a reasonable amount of surface marring. I pulled out the Menzerna Heavy Cut 400 Compound for the hood and the tailgate, plus a couple of minor spots on several doors. The rest was easily handles by the 3D One. Feast your eyes on this:

I had about a half hour worth of final work on the interior to do when a salesman came out and asked when it would be ready for a test drive. I almost fainted because it was snowing outside and they had just salted the road out front. I talked him out of it so that we could get pics for our web site before it got messed up. Close call!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
I had about a half hour worth of final work on the interior to do when a salesman came out and asked when it would be ready for a test drive. I almost fainted because it was snowing outside and they had just salted the road out front. I talked him out of it so that we could get pics for our web site before it got messed up. Close call!

How cool is that, he is selling them out from under you while you are detailing them.

it is hard to figure out what a commission based plan would be for what you do, so maybe it is time to ask for another 1 hr per vehicle. :clap:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2020, 07:54:48 PM »
That looks amazing.  Cassie really wants a 4Runner.  She said the interiors are boring and there’s not much in the way of tech.  She really likes her Subaru Eyesight.

What a frustrating job during the winter months.  To think all that hard work could go right out the window in an instant.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
Some people wonder why I like (and drive) white vehicles. I always say it's because the color is so easy to take care of and hides a multitude of sins. Case in point, today's detail of a 2016 4Runner with 76,000 miles on the clock. It wasn't in terrible shape, but it was no prom queen when I started either. 3 1/2 hours later, this is what sat in my bay. I rest my case.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »
Some people wonder why I like (and drive) white vehicles. I always say it's because the color is so easy to take care of and hides a multitude of sins. Case in point, today's detail of a 2016 4Runner with 76,000 miles on the clock. It wasn't in terrible shape, but it was no prom queen when I started either. 3 1/2 hours later, this is what sat in my bay. I rest my case.

Need another white vehicle?  It might have a bit more square footage to cover but it’s in need.  Haha

That looks great by the way.  How long until this one sells? 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »

That looks great by the way.  How long until this one sells? 

That's an interesting question. We actually have three 4Runners on the lot right now. The red one I posted earlier, the above white one, and another 2016 white one with only 16,000 miles on it. (It came out pretty awesome too.) That's actually more 4Runners than we usually carry, but winter is coming. All three will look pretty good from the street!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
Mike,

BTW, I'd love to come down and detail your new truck. As soon as I get through re-arranging my sock drawer, polishing my driveway, re-arranging my stereo wires and a few other things, I'll give you a call.  But seriously, if you were only a little closer ...

* Recent Photos

Ram

Views: 1
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal