1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33176 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 3D One
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:32 AM »
I'll bet you guys thought I'd forgotten how to detail anything but used Toyotas. Yea, I kinda thought the same thing. But while Stella and I were out for a walk last week, we ran into a former co-worker of mine and the subject of what I do for a living popped up. (Imagine that.) As soon as he heard what I did, he asked if I could do his car. How could I say no?

So yesterday he dropped off his 2017 Chevy Impala in the color we all love to hate - jet black - for an exterior only detail. It had just rained, so I passed on the "before" pics and jumped right into washing, decontamination and correction. There actually wasn't much of anything for the Nanoskin mitt to remove, but I didn't want to take any chances. For first step correction, I originally started with an Orange LC CCS pad and 3D One, but it just didn't correct enough, so I jumped up to a Hex Logic Cutting pad. That did it. I then stepped down to Carpro Reflect on a White LC CCS pad and followed it with Jescar Power Lock. It looked just a little bit better when I returned it 4 hours later:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
I may have missed it before, but how do you like the Hex Logic pads? I never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »
Looks pretty great by the way!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:09 AM »
I may have missed it before, but how do you like the Hex Logic pads? I never heard of them.

For first pass / cutting / heavy correction work, they're just about all I use these days. Most cars I do at the dealership get one pass with 3D One on a Hex Logic Pad. That combination finishes out really nicely. Chemical Guys sells them BTW.

Yea, I like them!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
Man, that looks good!  Nice work, Tom! 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
Every once in a (great) while, I get a used car to detail that was actually well cared for. For whatever reason, the planets really aligned this week and I got two in a row! The first one was a 2018 RAV4 with only 29,000 miles on it. The lady that owned this thing took excellent care of it and that made detailing it a ton easier. Other than the black wheels - which I still really, really hate on anything - it came out pretty darn good.

The second one was even more special. It was a 2013 RAV4 with 65,000 miles on it. By our dealership's standards. this was a fairly old used car and we normally wholesale anything this old. But it looked pretty good to start with and even better when I got through. I noticed that the fuel door was open in the pic when I was posting this. Oh well. See what you think:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:15:45 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
So, do you have Popeye arms now?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »
So, do you have Popeye arms now?

Believe it or not, they actually did get a little bigger. I still hate Spinach though.  :yoda:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »
They look great!  As usual.  I sure hope you enjoy looking at and working on Rav4s because you see a ton of them.  Haha

Black wheels... I 100% agree.  Very very seldom do I like them.  Those wheels to me blend so much with the car that it's hard to even notice a design to them.  And that's my whole issue with black wheels. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
Every once in a while I get to play with something a bit more exotic. This rolled into my bay today for me to address some minor issues with the paint before it got delivered to the a very special customer. Typical BMW (awesome) paint.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2020, 07:59:50 PM »
So, you're amazing as always work aside.  I'm unsure about how I feel about this car.  It just doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzies as the old ones. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2020, 06:31:48 AM »
It just doesn't give me the same warm and fuzzies as the old ones. 

I have to agree with you there. Different color wheels make a big difference IMHO though.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »
Every once in a while I get to play with something a bit more exotic. This rolled into my bay today for me to address some minor issues with the paint before it got delivered to the a very special customer. Typical BMW (awesome) paint.

I forgot to mention another infuriating thing about the matte black wheels on this Supra. You absolutely have to clean the inside of each wheel because it shows. But, the back side of all of the spokes is a nice, sharp corner, so you give blood every time you reach in there. On top of that, the BMW brakes are so large that you can't reach all of each wheel. So you do what you can reach on all four, then move the car forward (or back) a bit to expose the rest. Ugh!

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
It's a beautiful color.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2020, 07:11:00 PM »
I had a few hours late today, so I detailed the outside of the infamous Toaster - my 2006 Scion xB with 140,000 miles on the clock. Here's what it looked like with the first coat of CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 on her. Sorry for the darkness, but trust me, if you click on the pic to enlarge it, the shine will still be evident.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal