1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33165 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 3D One
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
This post embarrassed me.  My interior often looks this bad.  It's that dirt road life. 

Also... Nice work!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yea, but I'm pretty sure your truck at least gets cleaned once in a while. I highly doubt this one ever had the interior cleaned until I got it.  :hp:
I clean mine twice as often.  Haha

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2020, 03:03:51 PM »
Here's a couple of recent ones. First, here's a 2017 Camry lease return. It was in pretty decent shape, but it had a lazy scratch starting just below the driver's door handle and meandering up and down all the way back to the tail light. It was barely enough to feel with your fingernail. It took almost 30 minutes and multiple passes just to get that bad boy out. Then I had to do the rest of the car. How's this for black paint that almost drips off the car?

Next, here's a 2017 Tundra Platinum work truck that had 94,000 miles on it. Although the owner took really good care of it, we're still talking work truck here. (The inside of the bed showed more wear and tear than the body.) Other than one crease that our PDR guy will take out tomorrow, the truck looked pretty good, so I took my time. How's this?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:39:18 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Sometimes I get to play with new vehicles too. We've had this brand new 2019 TRD Pro Tacoma sitting in various places around the lot for a number of months now. Its even gone to several special events as advertising for the dealership. It's been tough to sell because it has the optional snorkel kit that nobody around here wants. That and it lists for $45,000.

Every time it goes someplace, our other "detailer" washes it with a brush and slobbers tire shine literally everywhere. It was sitting right out front by the main road this morning when I pulled in after coming back from an appearance at a local golf tournament.  I almost wanted to puke after looking at it. To say it looked terrible would be an understatement. The marring was really getting out of hand. So I talked the Sales Manager into letting me do my thing to it. Again, 3D One, but followed by Jescar Power Lock. Better looking now? 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2020, 07:15:45 PM »
Nice work yet again. 

So what's involved in taking off the snorkel kit?  Does it leave any holes?  Alsough functional, it does look a little ridiculous.  I wouldn't ldnt want it either.  Those are great looking trucks though.  Big fan of them. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2020, 08:04:29 PM »
Nice work yet again. 

So what's involved in taking off the snorkel kit?  Does it leave any holes?  Alsough functional, it does look a little ridiculous.  I wouldn't ldnt want it either.  Those are great looking trucks though.  Big fan of them. 

From what I hear, it requires a rather large hole to be cut in the right front fender plus a small one up top for the support bracket. Oh, and you can't go through an automatic car wash with the damn thing either. It sticks up too far and isn't strong enough. Ugh.

I have another TRD Pro (in grey) that I should be doing later this week or early next week. It's got 15,000 miles on it and they're asking $40k - and folks are interested! I must be missing something here.  :dunno:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
Still learning more about this product through actual experience at work. One important thing I wanted to pass on is the fact that this stuff (3D One) just flat out doesn't quit. You can polish till the cows come home and it doesn't stop cutting or start dusting and caking.  Absolutely amazing!

Every once in a while, I actually get a vehicle that was well cared for. As soon as I stepped inside this 2017 RAV4 Limited, I knew somebody took care of it. The outside was all wet from the morning dew, so I couldn't draw too many conclusions, but it too looked pretty well cared for. Oh, and did I mention that it was my favorite color - black? Good lord, not another one! But since I was a bit ahead of schedule and this one looked like it could really pop, I spent some extra time on it. 3 1/2 hours later, this is what sat in my bay:

Even the hood looked decent:

Unfortunately, all good things must pass and the next thing on the schedule was a 2013 Camry with 93,000 hard miles on it. This one's going to be a challenge and is never going to be a prom queen. I told the Sales Manager to set his expectations low so he'd be impressed. Just look how hammered this thing is:

And the driver's door area:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
That Rav 4 looks exceptional!  Very well done. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »

Thanks Mike! Looks it's heading for the showroom.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 09:35:51 AM »

It must be a nice feeling that your work product heads to the showroom, where the outside detailing work product goes to the 'good from far, far from good' area of the dealership.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

It must be a nice feeling that your work product heads to the showroom, where the outside detailing work product goes to the 'good from far, far from good' area of the dealership.
Thanks Steve. Yes, it does feel pretty good when something I do is good enough to go into the showroom. Truth be told, I would have loved to do one more pass on the RAV4 with maybe a White LC pad to jewel it out just a bit more. As good as the thing came out, if I was doing it at home, it would have definitely gotten another full pass. But, it was good enough for a used car.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 06:25:59 PM »
Things have slowed down in the used car side of the business, so my workload has gone down quite a bit. I did want to share one recent detail though. Just to prove that no product or process can fully knock out the ugly, I offer this 2018 Toyota C-HR in a beautiful shade of metallic blue. The paint looks gorgeous, but the car? Um, no.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 06:31:34 PM »
Things have slowed down in the used car side of the business, so my workload has gone down quite a bit. I did want to share one recent detail though. Just to prove that no product or process can fully knock out the ugly, I offer this 2018 Toyota C-HR in a beautiful shade of metallic blue. The paint looks gorgeous, but the car? Um, no.

Toyota really does make some goofy cars.  Good thing you're there to bring some sort of respect back to the vehicles.  Nice work!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »

Toyota really does make some goofy cars.  Good thing you're there to bring some sort of respect back to the vehicles.  Nice work!

"Goofy" might not be the term I'd use. More like just plain weird. As I mentioned to one of my co-workers as I was working on it, "Ever wonder what happened to the idiots who designed the Pontiac Aztec?" And the visibility out the back of these things is downright awful!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »

"Goofy" might not be the term I'd use. More like just plain weird. As I mentioned to one of my co-workers as I was working on it, "Ever wonder what happened to the idiots who designed the Pontiac Aztec?" And the visibility out the back of these things is downright awful!
You can put the Aztec right there with the original Tribeca from Subaru.  Atleaatthe Aztec turned in to a tent.  That's almost cool. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
Things are still pretty slow in Used Car sales and we have plenty of inventory - most of it now detailed by me. That means I don't have to crank out 2 cars a day anymore to keep up with demand. Of course the paycheck is smaller every week too. Oh well.

I was out walking the lot the other day looking at the row of cars slated to get wholesaled to see if there was anything interesting there. I ran into the Used Car Manager (my main customer) and we started talking about what vehicle we should bring into the showroom next seeing as the 2017 RAV4 Limited that I did recently lasted all of 3 days. I suggested another white RAV4 that one of our employees owned that was really, really sweet. He had a different idea. He suggested that we take the car that had been on the lot the longest, spruce it up and put it in the showroom. Ok, how bad could that possibly be?

15 minutes later, he pulls a plum colored 2017 RAV4 into my bay with a huge grin on his face. "This one's been on the lot for 234 days. Of course you didn't detail it, but do you think you can wake it up a bit?" Holy crap Batman! What a roach. The engine bay wasn't touched. Neither were the door jambs. And the hood, oh lord the hood. The guy who used to prep our used cars apparently tried to "correct" the hood with rubbing compound by hand. And the rest of the body wore plenty of scratches that he didn't even try to get out. (Probably a good thing.) So how bad was it? How about these shots of the hood?

So I went at the thing with the 3D One and a brand new set of Hex Logic pads. (I started with an older pad, but it just wasn't cutting it anymore.) The hood alone took over half an hour, but here's what it looked like:

Not perfect, but one hell of a lot better. Here's what the vehicle looked like with a coat of Menzerna Power Lock on it:

This one's going to be interesting. If you ask me, the whole reason this one didn't sell was a crap detailing job that actually made the vehicle look very ratty. Although not perfect, it looks waaaay better now. It goes on the showroom floor tomorrow. Let's see how long it takes to sell.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:15:49 PM by Too Stroked »

* Recent Photos

IMG_0031.JPG

Views: 5
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal