The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 791 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 3D One
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 05:43:11 PM »
You think that's something?  I went to the car wash today, the touchless kind, 3/4 of the way around the first pass and the machine clips my passenger mirror and comes to a complete halt.  Dead.  I pull out and have $8 cash to get quarters to get the soap off and do a half ass job of a wash.  Meanwhile, 3 or 4 people tried to use the now non functioning touchless drive through.  One lady was storming all over the property and trying to make phone calls about it.  Oops. 

That car looks great though.  Not sure I care for the color but it sure does clean up nicely.  You're killing it lately, Tom.  You make me feel bad about the state of my truck. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 05:43:53 AM »
I was beginning to wonder if I needed to come down to PA and organize a search party for you!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
I was beginning to wonder if I needed to come down to PA and organize a search party for you!
I'm easy to find.  If I'm not at work then I'm at home with Cassie and my dogs, minding my own business. 

Except for now.  Now I'm in Maryland for work. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Sorry for the long pause. Been busy detailing and experimenting again. Here's the latest developments.

When I do a full detail at home, as you might guess, it's a little different from what I do at work. A full inside and out detail at home includes everything except under the hood. (Too many bad experiences with Ford products and coil packs shorting out.) For the exterior, you get a full clay decontamination, bug removal, iron removal, full masking off of all black textured plastic, 2 stage polishing, then the LSP of your choice. For the interior you get a full vacuum, glass and vinyl / leather cleaning & conditioning. Generally speaking, it takes me about 5-6 hours.

At work, the engine bay does get cleaned and hosed down. (Yes, you can do that with absolutely no issues on any Toyota.) Then the outside gets a full wash down before the interior gets vacuumed, the windows, seats and vinyl cleaned. For the exterior, I have a deal worked out with the Used Car Manager for what we call "Tom's Standard Cheat" when it comes to buffing / polishing. First, I take out any removable scratches and scuffs, then I do a single stage polish only from the mid-door up. I don't even to the roof on SUVs and trucks. Why? Because it saves time and money and 9 out of 10 customers wouldn't notice the difference. It also helps me hit my target time of 3 hours per vehicle. As you can see, "dealer detailing" is much different than the stuff I'm (and you're) used to and I'm doing my best to make sure I don't get lumped in with guys that have only done dealer work and think they know what they're talking about.

Here's my big challenge as of late. I need to find a polish that does it all in one pass with one kind of pad if possible. That means it needs to cut quickly, not make a mess (dusting or caking), finish up beautifully, then wipe off easily. I had high hopes for 3D One and it does all of that except come off easily. That's been enough of a problem that I no longer use it on humid days. I've actually gone back to what's left of my old bottle of Menzerna SIP. I also use M101 when dust isn't an issue, then follow up with M205 - but that's a second pass...

Yesterday I received a bottle of Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound that I'd been wanting to try because I love their stuff. (Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock is my all time favorite Sealant.) You know what? This may be the ticket. It cuts amazingly well with only an Orange Lake Country CCS pad, finishes up perfectly and comes off with almost no effort. The only weird thing about it is that you'd better be holding onto the Flex. This stuff tends to steer the polisher around a whole lot more than the other stuff I've mentioned. More to follow.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Update time. I've been playing with the Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound and it works, really, really well. I've also been playing with a new pad - the Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Heavy Cut foam pads this week. As you know, I'm just working on Toyota and Lexus products, so I can't speak for how it might work on other paint, but this combination is definitely the hot ticket. You can correct like no tomorrow, generate minimum dust, not hologram and pretty much finish up with just one pad and product. Yes folks, the Holy Grail of detailing.

As a real acid test, I worked on two vehicles in particular the last two days that really allowed me to test the combination. The first was a 2020 4Runner with black (fine) metallic paint and a 10" scratch in the lower drivers door. I could just feel it with my fingernail, so I wasn't too optimistic about my ability to get it all out. Oh, and did I mention that it was the dealership owner's personal vehicle? (No pressure at all.)

It took 3 full passes, but the entire scratch came out. I'd faded the edges of the correction area and did not see any hazing with my LED sun light, but I figured I'd give the whole door a finish pass just to make sure. For that I used a White Lake Country CCS pad and Meguiar's M205. To say it came out perfect would be an understatement! The owner now calls me his "miracle man."

The next test was a dark brown metallic (almost root beer) 2016 Highlander that was sold, but had not been fully detailed. I did one complete walk around on the whole vehicle just hitting the scratches with the 400 / Hex Logic combo. I was able to correct everything in one pass. Then I did the entire vehicle with one more pass with the same combination - fully expecting to have to follow it up with a finish pass and a finer polish / pad combination. Nope, the damn thing looked stellar. See for yourself:

I think I might be onto something here.

I also tried the 400 with an Orange LC CCS pad on the 2017 RAV 4 in the picture below. One pass, one pad, virtual perfection. In fact the day after this picture was taken, I arrived at work to find the very same (lease return) vehicle on the showroom floor. Yes, it was so nice that the Sales Manager moved it inside. I don't think I've ever seen a used vehicle on our showroom floor. Nice!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »
So you're basically a celebrity now. 

That blue is something else.  I don't think I'd want to own something that color but it sure is pretty to look at.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
So you're basically a celebrity now. 

That blue is something else.  I don't think I'd want to own something that color but it sure is pretty to look at.

Well, I don't know if "celebrity" is the right word for it. It does appear that they've never really had anybody who knew anything about detailing before though. My biggest problem now is managing expectations. They seem to think I can make anything look like new and repair any kind of defect. I've told them that I can (usually) heal the sick, but I can't raise the dead. And some of that come in on lease returns are pretty close to needing life support. 
« Last Edit: Today at 08:30:28 AM by Too Stroked »

* Recent Photos

IMG_7540.JPG

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal