1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33177 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
3D One
« on: May 14, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
Like most of you, I have products that I use more because they work for me than because they're the latest and greatest. If I were to purchase every new product that came out and claimed to be the best, I'd have a detailing cabinet full of stuff I don't use - which of course I do. That said, my go to polishing polishes have been Meguiar's M101 Foam Cut (for heavy correction) and Meguiar's M205 (for final polishing) for the last 5 years or so. I also like Menzerna SIP for heavy correction work.

Lately, I've seen a lot of buzz about a product called 3D One and in the spirit of testing something new, I thought I'd try it. Since my new part time job as Parts Driver for a local Toyota dealership has recently expanded to include some detailing work (yes, word got out), I had a whole new reason to try something better and a limitless supply of used cars to test new products out on. So I ordered a quart a few weeks back and actually tried it out this week.

So what did I find? First of all, the ads claim you can use this product with virtually any pad and stepping up in aggressiveness (of the pad) just increases your correction ability. (Yea right, I said.) Well, they seem to be correct. After playing with different pads and amounts of product, I learned that you only need a very small amount of product and it lasts a long time. Use too much product and you'll have fun smearing it around instead of wiping it off. Get the amount right though and boy does it correct nicely. In fact I'd say that you can even finish with a white pad on the Flex - with zero dust!

I'm still playing with pad combinations and will post some pics up when I get a chance, but I wanted to get this information out there and see what you folks think.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 3D One
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:25:36 PM »
I don't read books.  Only magazines.  Magazines have pictures.  Where are the pictures? 

Kidding.  Sort of.  I need to give my truck a polish and coating so I need to start absorbing some of this info. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I'll do some looking into it. Although I don't really need anything at this time, it's always cool to hear about something new.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
I had to so some reading up before asking questions, to try to sound intelligent.

The single product changing out the pad is a 'hallmark' of PB ProPolish. 
I have not had luck in removing more severe defects using PB PP and switching to an ORG pad.  Well I have, it just takes a long time.  EG: Turning a 4x4 into a 2x4 using 320 grit sandpaper.

Did you find this to be the case with 3D One ? 
Given PB PP is all chemical reaction, and 3D One has mechanical components to it.

On your test whip, did you find marring after an IPA wipe down post step down in pad change ?
Best to note if your test whip is more hard or soft paint.
I have read this, no 1st hand experience of it.
- Similar reviews say it works great on severe defects by adding scratch doctor to it... :dope:

I have been following this on Detailed Image for about 4 months, but your are the 1st level review I have seen, and it is bringing me some hope it works as advertised.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
Sorry it took me so long, but here's some pics of an "exterior only" detail I did Saturday. The truck was delivered after dark Friday night - in the rain - so the "before" pics aren't all that great. That said, for a 2015 truck with just over 70,000 miles on it, the paint was in pretty decent shape. Then again, it was the color we all love to hate - black. So here's some before pics:

Since the original reason I started this thread was to discuss the use of 3D One, that's what I used to polish this truck. Since a good part of the hype about using this product is that you can use it with just about any pad, after a little experimentation I went with White Lake Country pads on the Flex run at full speed. The 3D One allowed almost a limitless number of passes and didn't seem to give up much correction ability as it went. The best part was absolutely zero dust.

How well did it work? Well, here's some shots after only one full pass followed by Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock. You be the judge.

And just to show that after all these years I can still be cheap and shameless, here's a reflecto shot:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:44:59 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
I had to so some reading up before asking questions, to try to sound intelligent.

The single product changing out the pad is a 'hallmark' of PB ProPolish. 
I have not had luck in removing more severe defects using PB PP and switching to an ORG pad.  Well I have, it just takes a long time.  EG: Turning a 4x4 into a 2x4 using 320 grit sandpaper.

Did you find this to be the case with 3D One ? 
Given PB PP is all chemical reaction, and 3D One has mechanical components to it.

On your test whip, did you find marring after an IPA wipe down post step down in pad change ?
Best to note if your test whip is more hard or soft paint.
I have read this, no 1st hand experience of it.
- Similar reviews say it works great on severe defects by adding scratch doctor to it... :dope:

I have been following this on Detailed Image for about 4 months, but your are the 1st level review I have seen, and it is bringing me some hope it works as advertised.

Steve,

I know you're a big fan of PP and have had very good luck with it. I tried it a few times many years ago and just couldn't get it to work. As I stated earlier, my first test of 3D One wasn't all that great, but definitely showed promise, so I kept trying.

My first crash test dummy was a very average looking "lease return" black 2019 Toyota Rav4 at the dealership. I was trying to convince the Sales manager that a little quick polishing could do wonders for the curb appeal of dark colored vehicles, so I showed him this vehicle and told him to stop back in exactly 45 minutes.

Now here's where "dealer detailing" is very different from the kind we all do on a regular basis. It's all about how fast you can get the biggest bang for the buck in making vehicles look better so they grab potential customer's eyes. (I call it "meatball detailing.") So I cheated big time here and didn't mask any black textured plastic, I just stayed away from it. I also didn't do anything below about half way down the doors. I did do the whole hood and rear hatch, but did not do any significant correction work other than a few fairly minor scratches that I did spend a little extra time on.  Here's what it looked like after one full pass with 3D One on an Orange LC pad:

Right on time, the Sales Manager showed up 45 minutes later. He couldn't believe the difference. Looks like we may be using more of this product in the future.

As for your questions on marring, so far, I haven't had anything to speak of. I'm slowly stepping up in agressiveness on pads and plan on trying some Yellow LC pads next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »
..<snip>...
As for your questions on marring, so far, I haven't had anything to speak of. I'm slowly stepping up in agressiveness on pads and plan on trying some Yellow LC pads next week. I'll keep you guys posted.

The question might be more applicable to the truck you did at the house.
Post LC White pad ( assuming old school white foam ) single pass did you do a wipe down or paint clean before the PL application ?
- Maybe add in if you had any heavy amount of down pressure or if you let the Flex do the work like a Long Throw polisher.

I noticed that OPT HyperPolish at times would fill some minor defects, so an IPA ( I use the GG paint cleaner ) was needed to make sure the paint was clear of defects.

I'll offer my Rupes to you again now that you are going to be "meatball detailing" if you want to try a long throw polisher.
- I did not see a delta to the flex, but I am not doing 5 vehicles a day..

Thank you for the review and the additional info.  I just created a Detailed Image order, and added in a 8oz bottle of it to try on the front clip of the Nav.
- There are a few marks that I need to get out, and this will be nice test vs the MF pad and Hyper Twin that I was using on it before.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
..<snip>...

The question might be more applicable to the truck you did at the house.
Post LC White pad ( assuming old school white foam ) single pass did you do a wipe down or paint clean before the PL application ?
- Maybe add in if you had any heavy amount of down pressure or if you let the Flex do the work like a Long Throw polisher.

I noticed that OPT HyperPolish at times would fill some minor defects, so an IPA ( I use the GG paint cleaner ) was needed to make sure the paint was clear of defects.

I'll offer my Rupes to you again now that you are going to be "meatball detailing" if you want to try a long throw polisher.
- I did not see a delta to the flex, but I am not doing 5 vehicles a day..

Thank you for the review and the additional info.  I just created a Detailed Image order, and added in a 8oz bottle of it to try on the front clip of the Nav.
- There are a few marks that I need to get out, and this will be nice test vs the MF pad and Hyper Twin that I was using on it before.

To answer your specific questions:
- I did a 50/50 alcohol / water wipe down after the 3D One and before the Jescar Power Lock. I didn't see any evidence of fillers hiding defects.
- With the Flex, I did not use any significant down pressure and never do. I always try to let the product do the work.
- As for the offer to use your Rupes, believe it or not, they've got a Rupes Bigfoot at work for me to use. I've tried it several times and still do not like it compared to the Flex. The big things I don't like are the "soft start" feature and the fact that you can very easily stall the rotary motion. You can't stall my Flex. Thanks for the offer though!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »
To answer your specific questions:
- I did a 50/50 alcohol / water wipe down after the 3D One and before the Jescar Power Lock. I didn't see any evidence of fillers hiding defects.
- With the Flex, I did not use any significant down pressure and never do. I always try to let the product do the work.
- As for the offer to use your Rupes, believe it or not, they've got a Rupes Bigfoot at work for me to use. I've tried it several times and still do not like it compared to the Flex. The big things I don't like are the "soft start" feature and the fact that you can very easily stall the rotary motion. You can't stall my Flex. Thanks for the offer though!

Tom Thanks for the info.  Soon enough I'll have some 1st hand on the 3D one product, I added a bottle based on your review here.

Good to hear I am not crazy ( on this ) about the Rupes. 
I got one from all the hype about how much better it was than the Flex, and I found it to be complete crap.
I did the modification ( problem 1 of many with it, needing to be modified to work ) and it did not help much with the stalling.  I changed from the shim with washer to trim the edge, and it did nothing different than the washer shimming.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Had some time for some more experimentation and testing the other day on another black RAV4 that needed some love at work. It was a typical 2 year lease return vehicle that looked like it had been washed (repeatedly) with a rake. As usual, the Sales Manager didn't want to sink a lot of time (and thus money) into paint correction since believe it or not, most folks don't notice. But he did like the idea of "waking it up" just a bit.

Remember how I'd started this thread by stating that I'd been using Meguiar's M101 for most of my heavy correction work in the past? Well, this vehicle was a perfect candidate to test the M101 against the 3D One heads up. Unfortunately, I'd left the iPhone home, so no pics. Based on what I've learned about Toyota paint, I went straight to an Orange LC CCS pad on the Flex run flat out. I then did half the hood with M101 and the other half with 3D One. My impressions?

The M101 cut / corrected pretty decently, but created the usual (relatively minor) dusty mess. Although the level of correction - with one four way pass - was pretty good, it wasn't quite ready to go because there was some minor hazing. For a used car, it was probably good enough, but I wasn't impressed. My usual process in the past would have been to follow up with M205 on a White LC CCS pad, but time didn't allow that here.

The 3D One was next, didn't dust at all and corrected even better. In fact, one four way pass gave me a super slick looking ready to go finish. No, it didn't take out all of the scratches, but that wasn't the intent. What it did do was provide a dramatically better looking finish with one pass, one product and one pad. And did I mention zero dust? The only thing that it didn't do quite as well as the M101 was wipe off. The 3D does take just a bit of effort to get off as it tends to smear around just a bit.

The Sales Manager popped in right after I'd finished the entire vehicle and was duly impressed. In fact he suggested that we'd be able to raise the asking price for the vehicle - which is my whole intent. We agreed that the process I used would become the standard process for all dark colored used vehicle preps.

Funny side note. So far I've detailed about 8-10 used vehicles for the dealership. Every single one of them is parked right on the end of a row because they look so much better than the rest of the cars on the lot.   :whisp:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
Very cool findings! certainly sounds like a interesting product!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »
Sorry I haven't updated this thread, but I've been pretty busy at work. The plus side is that I've gotten to do a ton more experimentation with the 3D One and my old favorite Meguiar's M101. Based on probably 15 cars with varying degrees of nastiness, here's my current thoughts:

- The 3D One corrects well, but I'm beginning to think the M101 corrects just a bit better.

- The big downside of the M101 is the dusting. There is definitely more than the 3D One. On the other hand, there's way less dusting with the M101 than there is with M105. Way less.

- The 3D One does not wipe off nearly as easily as M101. There's almost an oily residue that one needs to remove as it smears around a bit before finally coming off. I thought this might be a bit of filler / glaze / oil to mask defects, but have not seen much difference in the surface after a 50/50 alcohol / water wipe. Hmmm.

- The working time of the 3D One is way longer than the M101. You can easily make a 4 way pass on a 2'x2' area and still be able to correct. The M101 is starting to dry out by then. The M105 would be caking up by then.

- One has to be careful not to use too much product with 3D One. 3 dime size dots appear to be all you need. Use too much and you'll struggle to wipe it off when you're done. The M101 comes off quite easily.

I have come to the conclusion that for 90% of the "dealer detailing" that I do, the 3D One is the best product. I think it leaves a glossier surface in less time with less product. I can also "spot correct" just by changing pads, not products. And when you're trying to do couple of cars a day like I am, that's important.

Here's an example of a 2017 Camry that the Sales Manager really wanted to get out on the lot due to the very desirable color. And he he was pretty sure I could really make it pop. What you're looking at is one pass with a White LC CCS pad - with no LSP at all. Make sure you click on the pic to enlarge it. Yea, it pops. I rest my case.

PS: The Lexus IS in the background is my "fill in" project. I work on it as I get time since it belongs to the Sales Manager. It was quite rough when I started, but with lots of elbow grease and some incredibly aggressive pads, the 3D One is bringing it back.

Here's another 2017 Camry (also a lease return) that was done with the exact same process. The very first person who looked at it bought it on the spot. See why?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:24:50 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:13 PM »
Interesting experiment today. It was almost 90 and humid as hell. Needless to say, that's not my favorite weather for detailing. At least we have several of those 10' diameter ceiling fans in the Service Department and they do move a ton of air around. What I really wasn't looking forward to was the difficulty in removing the 3D One or the dusting of the M101. But I did happen to have what was left of a 32 oz. bottle of Menzerna SIP. (Remember that stuff?) I had to do some minor correction to a 2015 RAV4 with 79,000 miles on it to get it ready for delivery, so what the heck.

I used a White LC CCS pad on the Flex and made just one pass. Wow, it woke the paint right up! Better yet, it didn't dust hardly at all, didn;t haze or hologram and it came off very, very easily. Now remember, I wasn't doing any heavy correction here, so I have to do some more playing, but the old SIP really worked well on Toyota paint. Hmmm.

I went online and tried to find SIP under either the Menzerna or Jescar brands and no dice. Anybody got some SIP they'd like to sell me?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »
Very interesting updates. I need to place a order for a few small things and seriously thinking about adding the 3D one to the list. It may be the perfect product for those free “friends and family” details I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
Another day, another test vehicle. Today's test involved a 2012 Camry owned by a senior citizen. (No comments on my age you guys!) One big clue was the stacked floor mats. (One carpeted mat to protect the carpet and a rubber mat to protect the carpeted mat.) Although the car didn't have a ton of miles on it, the owner must have brushed snow off of it with a wire brush. The big challenge was getting the majority of the scratches minimized so it would look good on the lot.

I started with M101 on a Burgundy Meguiar's Cutting pad on the Flex. Yes, I went waaay aggressive. That combo did a reasonable job on knocking the mess down, then I followed up with 3D One on a White LC CCS pad to finish. I think the results are more than acceptable.

* Recent Photos

IMG_5756.JPG

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal