1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33153 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: 3D One
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these up Tom. It is really nice to see and learn from your experiences on these "well loved" vehicles.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »
More dealer detailing fun today. I brought a 2016 Highlander in and almost kicked it back out to be detailed. It was right on the hairy edge of what I'm willing to tackle for what I get paid per vehicle. Here's what the interior looked like. You should know that the carpeted floor mats were also thrashed and wadded up in the back. They required almost 45 minutes with the extractor.

I thought I took a picture of the outside, but I can't seem to find it. The vehicle is a very desirable color and the Sales Manager begged me to do it because he likes my results better that the outside contractor. Trust me though, this one was rode hard and put away wet just like the interior. In addition to there being lots of micro marring everywhere, there were at least 15 spots that required "special attention" to correct major defects - some of which were never going to get fully fixed.

Ands so, four hours later - after going through 6 Hex Logic Cutting pads using the 3D One - this is what sat in my bay:

Yea, it looks pretty darn good, but there are a number of defects that give away the fact the it led a pretty hard life. That said, many folks will either miss them or decide they're perfectly acceptable. I'll call it a hard fought victory.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
Really digging that color.  Looks great even if it's not perfect to a perfectionist. 

So maybe I missed this but you get paid per vehicle or per hour?  I thought I recall you saying you only are alotted 4 hours per vehicle.  I don't care what the number is I was just curious.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
Really digging that color.  Looks great even if it's not perfect to a perfectionist. 

So maybe I missed this but you get paid per vehicle or per hour?  I thought I recall you saying you only are alotted 4 hours per vehicle.  I don't care what the number is I was just curious.

I'm getting paid a flat rate per vehicle. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.  :dope:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »

I'm getting paid a flat rate per vehicle. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.  :dope:
So you give yourself 4 hours per vehicle then based on what you charge to make it worth your time? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
I actually budget 3 hours per vehicle. If I can average that, I'm doing ok. Then again. I'm thinking I need a raise.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 07:37:08 PM »
I actually budget 3 hours per vehicle. If I can average that, I'm doing ok. Then again. I'm thinking I need a raise.

Wow, you are hauling ass if you have an average of 3 hrs per vehicle. :clap:

Seeing what you do for those vehicles inside and out and what that the sales manager wants you to work them.. you think you could get a 4 hr rate on them.
- Or a higher rate per hour...
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 05:33:21 AM »

Wow, you are hauling ass if you have an average of 3 hrs per vehicle. :clap:

Seeing what you do for those vehicles inside and out and what that the sales manager wants you to work them.. you think you could get a 4 hr rate on them.
- Or a higher rate per hour...
For an old guy, yes, I am hauling ass to keep the average at 3 hours per vehicle. On 90 degree das, it's not fun. Having taught and
 practiced implementing Toyota production methods (continuous improvement) for so many prior years though, I'm using that methodology to continuously improve my process.

As for the rate, I am thinking of asking for a bit more now that they've seen the results.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 03:47:19 PM »
Today's question: Is it possible to make a 10 year old vehicle "pop?" More specifically, a 10 year old vehicle with 130,000 miles on it that's gone through 10 winters in the salt belt.

I had to address that question yesterday when the Sales Manager brought just that type of vehicle in for my attention. As some of you may know, the Toyota FJ Cruiser (think 4Runner in fancy clothes) was discontinued a few years ago and values for used ones immediately went through the roof. So being able to get one in a desirable color in half way decent shape was a big thing. Making it look (and drive) like new would make it even more valuable. So after my friends in Service went though it from top to bottom, I got to do my thing. The reason I'm posting it here is that I used the 3D One again. The Sales Manager was impressed enough that it's going on the concrete pad right out in front. What do you think?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
I think banana creme pie.  Lie, really shiney banana creme pie though.  That looks incredible.  I have to think you're really making this dealership look good, Tom.  Vehicles that look this good are eye catchers for sure. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 07:36:59 PM »
I think banana creme pie.  Lie, really shiney banana creme pie though.  That looks incredible.  I have to think you're really making this dealership look good, Tom.  Vehicles that look this good are eye catchers for sure. 

Thanks Mike! Yea, I'm reasonably sure I've helped raise the used car standard a few notches. The trouble is, now they're getting used to phenomenal looking used cars and not everything that rolls in is a candidate for that better standard. They're actually getting quite picky about what they want. That would be great, but we still have that 3 hour limit we agreed to and it's getting tough to stick to. In the grand scheme of things, that's a good problem to have though.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 08:42:59 PM »
Looks great! Those things are commanding big bucks up here now too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2020, 02:01:23 PM »
Today brought some interesting challenges. For instance, the second thing to roll into my bay was a 2017 Tundra. (Another lease return.) This one had only 20,000 miles on it, but you'd never know it. What you would know (immediately) was that this was a farm truck. Clues? Four wheel drive, stripper trim, mud filled wheel wells, trashed interior, FFA sticker. How bad was it? Here's the interior when I opened the door:

Here's the interior 4 hours later:

The exterior wasn't totally hogged, but it was rough and included several nice dents. Oh yea, and it was black! Did I mention that I haven't (yet) found a way to detail dents out? Here's what the truck looked like when I was ready to roll it out. It isn't perfect, but for a farm truck it came out pretty well.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »
This post embarrassed me.  My interior often looks this bad.  It's that dirt road life. 

Also... Nice work!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 05:06:46 PM »
This post embarrassed me.  My interior often looks this bad.  It's that dirt road life. 

Also... Nice work!

Yea, but I'm pretty sure your truck at least gets cleaned once in a while. I highly doubt this one ever had the interior cleaned until I got it.  :hp:

* Recent Photos

ring

Views: 0
By: Oklahoma

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal