1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Trailer  (Read 9566 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Trailer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
I dont think I'd want to use this on an entire vehicle wrap. 

I did order another wheel so I can hopefully finish the rest of the trailer.  I got the same brand but it's a solid wheel, without the "teeth".  They didn't have that one on Amazon.  The 3M ones were all sold third party and we're expensive. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 07:43:26 PM »
I got the other side of the trailer done.  Still using the first wheel.  That side of the trailer has spent half of the amount of time in the sun as the other side so I was able to start it with the wheel and then peel it in big chunks.  The second wheel came in the mail and it's significantly smaller than the first wheel.  Both diameter and thickness.  It's probably close to the worn out wheel in its current state. 

One more side to go.  I'm looking to get a belt sander so I can redo the floors.  I'm justifying it by telling myself I can redo the side porch as well. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
Progress! Excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 06:58:05 AM »
Looking for a floor coating.  I am sceptical of all of them.  Haha.  I am liking the sales pitch of Armorpoxy though.  I emailed them and they recommended their garage kit with the 2 part military grade clear coat.  It's over $450 though so it's pretty pricey. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
dumb question time ( yea I know what's new... )

Have you looked at the Behr Deck over paint ?

There is a textured version.
I thought you could use this now without having to go nuts refinishing ( replacing ) the plywood and then touch up with it later if needed.

The floor is going to get damaged. 
Dad never painted the floor of his trailers, the last one he still has is the plywood that came it in, minus a few hits here and there.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 10:12:53 AM »
dumb question time ( yea I know what's new... )

Have you looked at the Behr Deck over paint ?

There is a textured version.
I thought you could use this now without having to go nuts refinishing ( replacing ) the plywood and then touch up with it later if needed.

The floor is going to get damaged. 
Dad never painted the floor of his trailers, the last one he still has is the plywood that came it in, minus a few hits here and there.
Your questions aren't usually dumb, just worded a bit over our heads.  Some of us are simple folk.  Haha.  I got this one though. 

So this trailer is exactly what I need but not necessarily what I want.  By that I mean its been used hard and shows it, especially on the inside. We spend a lot of time mixing and dumping made for asphalt epoxy costings inside of the trailer and it has a tendency to spill or splash.  Compound that with guys who simply don't care because it's not theirs.  Side story, building out the new trailers with the other foreman at work we discussed who was going to F the trailers up first.  He missed the first week we came back due to family stuff and took one look at my trailer and said "Connor was mixing wasn't he?" Guys just don't care and I have to tell them everyday to not trash stuff and put stuff back.  Ridiculous. 

Anyway, I hate walking in and looking at the trailer floors and walls.  I need to make it look nicer.  I also need to make it easy to clean because it will be transporting muddy ATVs and UTVs.  The ATVs need to be loaded in sideways and the easiest way to do that it to pull in on a slight angle and pin the front tire against the wall or fender well, hold the break (also make sure it's in 2wd and not 4wd, lesson learned) and hit the throttle, essentially power sliding the machine sideways.  Quick and easy.  Hard on the floor.  So the floor needs to look decent and be durable. 

It may still fail in the long run but atleast I can say I tried.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
Today's game plan was to frame out a closet in the basement to conceal all of the water filtration and softener stuff so I can re-finish half of the basement for the gym.  Then I was going to tackle the trailer floor.  The reality of the situation is That I am in no way, shape or form a framer.  It took me all day and now I feel like doing morning.  The closet is ready for drywall though. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
Back to the drawing board.  I'll attach a before and after of the trailer floor but the belt sander is tearing through belts.  I went through 4 belts to achieve the after which is only like two square feet.  The first two belts were probably my fault as I don't think I had them adjusted right and they were walking to the inside.  I was using 40 grit and it was barely making a dent.  I need to look at other options. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »
That stuff is tough!! How about just doing a garage epoxy coating on top of it?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 06:26:02 AM »
That stuff is tough!! How about just doing a garage epoxy coating on top of it?

I need to level off what's there first.  I don't care if there is some left under it as long as it is somewhat smooth or consistent.  But it's huge and in big globs in places.  It will look terrible if I don't knock it down even.  I may end up using a big grinder if I can find the right disc or pad for it. 

I do plan on using a garage floor epoxy.  Leaning towards the Armorpoxy kit.   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »
OK.. NExt dumb question...

Why not just get some asphalt epoxy coating from work and finish what was started in there ?
- Sounds like something that power sliding the machine sideways would hold up to.

You look like you are 70%+ done with that route..
 :dunno:

I don't know if epoxy over plywood is going to hold up to a power slide load method..
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 01:03:33 PM »
OK.. NExt dumb question...

Why not just get some asphalt epoxy coating from work and finish what was started in there ?
- Sounds like something that power sliding the machine sideways would hold up to.

You look like you are 70%+ done with that route..
 :dunno:

I don't know if epoxy over plywood is going to hold up to a power slide load method..
I'm considering it.  Two main drawbacks are it would make cleaning worse.  The epoxy costings from work are very gritty as you would expect.  It would take some effort even to just broom it out.  The other drawback is somewhat related to the gritty nature of it.  It's like sandpaper.  So in my head I just see dollar signs going out the window as I burn rubber off the tires trying to position them.  That may be me just being paranoid buts it's stuck in my head regardless. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »
No progress on the trailers. I've been too busy with the home gym/basement.  I did however get my new hitch in.  My last hitch had a 2" ball and was a 6 inch drop to get my open trailer level when hooked to my GMC.  The Ford sits a little higher and the new trailer requires a 2 5/16" ball.  So I got an adjustable hitch with a 2.5" shank (no more reducer), both balls are interchangeable and it has a built in tongue weight scale.  Super quick and easy to change out and stowable when not needed.  It's billet aluminum (stainless balls) so it's light. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
No progress on the trailers. I've been too busy with the home gym/basement.  I did however get my new hitch in.  My last hitch had a 2" ball and was a 6 inch drop to get my open trailer level when hooked to my GMC.  The Ford sits a little higher and the new trailer requires a 2 5/16" ball.  So I got an adjustable hitch with a 2.5" shank (no more reducer), both balls are interchangeable and it has a built in tongue weight scale.  Super quick and easy to change out and stowable when not needed.  It's billet aluminum (stainless balls) so it's light. 

That's kind of neat. I've never seen one with a built in scale like that.

I have one of those "triple ball" solid steel draw bars with 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16" balls on it. The Tacoma is low enough where all three work just about perfectly for what I tow.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Nice hitch!  I’m curious to see how long it lasts you. I always “hear” about aluminum wearing out pretty quick

* Recent Photos

G110v2.JPG

Views: 7
By: Old Dogg™

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal