1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Trailer  (Read 9564 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Trailer
« on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
My boss bought two new trailers for this season.  He sold one old one and offered me the other.  I didn't really have the extra money so I declined.  He later said $500.  I hesitated and he quickly changed the subject and moved on.  Later again he said he didn't know what to do with it so he was going to give it to me.  At the risk of sounding ungrateful I had to tell him I wasn't in a position to take it if it needed a bunch of work.  Keep in mind the trailer he sold had frame issues and cost over $2700 (last estimate I was privy to before they finished inspection).  He said take it for inspection.  Major repairs ($2700) were needed so I told him to just sell it and get some money back.  He said no, paid for the repairs, replaced a few things and insisted I take it. 

Needless to say, I was speechless. 

So now it needs a good cleaning.  It's not perfect.  I'm not looking for perfect.  I just want to clean it up and build a shelf or cabinet inside for gear.  This is when I wish I had Megs Paint Reconditioning Cream (was it 151).  That was the best product I used to clean up black trailer streaks.  I also have to remove the lettering. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 05:41:48 AM »
Sweet! And your boss is one of a kind!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »
That’s pretty awesome. He obviously appreciates your work ethic and honesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
Sweet! And your boss is one of a kind!

good bosses are hard to come by....ask me how I know.    :funny:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:40:28 PM »
Indeed good bosses are hard to come by.  I have been very fortunate in that aspect currently and in the past. 

I'm hoping to get time to work on the trailer now that everything is shut down .  Most of the old shelves are disassembled so it's only a matter of building a new one that will work for my needs and cleaning it up. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
I am probably going to paint all of the interior walls in a high gloss white to make cleaning easier.  I'm not sure what I want to do with the floor.  It has to be durable because I power slide the four wheelers in sideways so I will be spinning the tires on the floor. 

So...

-Any recommendations for durable yet not outrageously expensive floor paint or epoxy?  The floor is 3/4" plywood if that matters.

-What would you use to clean the white panels?  Anyone who has dealt with black streaking on trailers knows it's a bear to get off.  The best two products I have ever seen is Meg's Paint Reconditioning Cream and Optimum's equivalent.  I forget the name of Optimum's.  Not sure what my stock looks like but no doubt it's all really old product.

-Diamond plate... I want to polish it but its always an awful process.  Any tips or tricks? 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
Optimum Poli-Seal was the other product I had in mind.  I looked at my stash and I have some of both.  I also have one of those wheels on order for the drill to remove the lettering. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
I had to clean up some marks on my cousins enclosed trailer last year. I had great luck with ultimate compound on some “well used” orange LCC pads.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »
I had to clean up some marks on my cousins enclosed trailer last year. I had great luck with ultimate compound on some “well used” orange LCC pads.

I may have some of that laying around as well.  I was thinking PB Pro Polish may work well. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
The drill attachment to remove the lettering showed up today.  A day early no less.  I think they're calling for rain for the rest of eternity though, give or take a day. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »
I got a chance to try out the wheel.  It works better than I expected.  It took me about an hour to completely remove one side.  It also took 4 drill batteries, two 5AH and two 2AH batteries.  It takes two hands to control the drill and keep it in place.  The drill puts out some serious heat under constant use so I burned my hands a few times.  I should have worn gloves. 

This was my starting point after doing half of a letter somewhere else. 

After just those 3 numbers the wheel already showed signs of decent wear and I thought I'd never make it through a side. 

You can get pretty wreckless with this thing without too much worry.  I went extra careful for a while knowing that the paint on these panels is extra thin.  You can almost scratch it off.  So I was surprised at the abuse it took.  Although I am fairly certain I burned through it in one spot.  I was sitting in one spot for quite a while though. 

In the above picture you can see a dark spot right next to the yellow.  That's the aluminum showing underneath. The yellow brings me to another point.  Most of the lettering removed cleanly.  However, the grey colored lettering seemed to leave behind a yellow residue from the wheel.  I'm hoping that comes off with something like Goo Gone. 

And finally, what the wheel looks like after one side.  It ended up holding up better than I thought it would when I first started but there's no way it holds up to two more areas (the other side and the rear door/ramp).

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »
Wow, that looks like it worked pretty good. I figured you would be burning through 3-4 of them to get all the decals off.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Wow, that looks like it worked pretty good. I figured you would be burning through 3-4 of them to get all the decals off.

I really didn't know what to expect.  Now I'm thinking I might be able to get by with two of them.  You can see the line where it says with to stop use.  I'm assuming there's some kind of metal plate inside that becomes exposed just beyond that.  I'm also curious to see how it works once it becomes work past those teeth or whatever you want to call them.  I'm assuming it won't change much since 3M's version doesn't have those at all. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »
I think the teeth, just help it keep cool and clean. I used a 3M one on my old bosses truck years and years ago.  It worked pretty well.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
always wondered about those new wheels...looks like it worked well.

Could have used that when we took the wraps off my AV vans.

That was a bitch

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_0689.JPG

Views: 2
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal