1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 21016 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 12:40:14 PM »
That is pretty shitty Mike. It's a tough spot to be in. I would say that you're coughing and as per the State Mandate, should stay home.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
Things are getting more and more tightened down around here. The "preppers" have hit all the stores with a second wave of Panic buying. It's pretty crappy when my SIL can't get Gluten-free food because folks are buying it when they don't need it.

Work is going to be the next concern, the Wife has already been asked to extend her maternity leave. My boss is indicating that he wants me to burn some Vacay by taking Fridays off for the next 4-5 weeks. I haven't agreed to it just yet.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »

Things are getting more and more tightened down around here. The "preppers" have hit all the stores with a second wave of Panic buying. It's pretty crappy when my SIL can't get Gluten-free food because folks are buying it when they don't need it.

Work is going to be the next concern, the Wife has already been asked to extend her maternity leave. My boss is indicating that he wants me to burn some Vacay by taking Fridays off for the next 4-5 weeks. I haven't agreed to it just yet.

What kind of impact does her extending her maternity leave have on her?  Where do they take that extra time from?  Vacation and personal days? 

What does that one day per week achieve? 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
I didn't really want to do it but after one of my guys called me concerned about the situation, I made a few more calls to other guys and it was unanimous so I called the boss.  I expressed our concerns, in addition to the fact that I'm the only one in a county that's not on a stay at home order, and being the good guy that he is, he quickly changed his mind.  We are no longer working. 

And just to clarify, my cough is not (to my knowledge) a result of COVID19.  It's a product of exercise induced asthma from pushing myself to hard and I'm sure some is smoke inhalation.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

What kind of impact does her extending her maternity leave have on her?  Where do they take that extra time from?  Vacation and personal days? 

Extending Mat leave has two main impacts. One, is her sanity. With Ollie, she was DONE at 8 months of Mat leave. It's a bit worse this time with two kids. She like work and her job. Two, is income. She only get's about 30% of her salary while on Mat Leave, It's a considerable hit to the household income. We planned for 7 months and it may turn into 9.

For me, taking a day off a week improves my margin by 20% on the bottom line. 90% of my role is not billable to a client or revenue generating, due to how we have my role budgeted. It still costs the company the same amount, as they have to pay me, but it looks way better on the books Margin wise.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »

Extending Mat leave has two main impacts. One, is her sanity. With Ollie, she was DONE at 8 months of Mat leave. It's a bit worse this time with two kids. She like work and her job. Two, is income. She only get's about 30% of her salary while on Mat Leave, It's a considerable hit to the household income. We planned for 7 months and it may turn into 9.

For me, taking a day off a week improves my margin by 20% on the bottom line. 90% of my role is not billable to a client or revenue generating, due to how we have my role budgeted. It still costs the company the same amount, as they have to pay me, but it looks way better on the books Margin wise.

Wow.  Standard maternity leave here is 8 weeks.  For Cassie, when the time comes she gets 8 weeks at full pay and then either an additional 2 weeks at full pay or an additional 4 weeks at half pay. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »
In Canada, the first 12 weeks are Maternity leave and can only be taken by the mother (unless there are special circumstances). After that, it paternity leave and either parent can take the rest of the time, up to 52 weeks. It’s up to 55% pay, but maxes out at a specific dollar value. You can actually take up to 18 months if you like, but it’s at a reduced pay rate.

This is all part of our government run “employment services”.  Same basic system/process if we apply for employment insurance benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
In Canada, the first 12 weeks are Maternity leave and can only be taken by the mother (unless there are special circumstances). After that, it paternity leave and either parent can take the rest of the time, up to 52 weeks. It’s up to 55% pay, but maxes out at a specific dollar value. You can actually take up to 18 months if you like, but it’s at a reduced pay rate.

This is all part of our government run “employment services”.  Same basic system/process if we apply for employment insurance benefits.

Is that first 12 weeks still only 30%?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
For us yes, they cap the pay for the program, so it’s like $455 max a week or something like that and they tax it like regular income.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
For us yes, they cap the pay for the program, so it’s like $455 max a week or something like that and they tax it like regular income.

So it's 30% or about $455, whichever is lowest?  That sounds like our unemployment system.  Regardless of what you make, you get a certain percentage but you can't make more than $560.  But then they tax it 0% or 10% at the time of payment but depending on your tax bracket, you have to pay the rest of the taxes at income tax time.  So needless to say I don't get much back at tax time because I still owe around 15% or so of what I made on unemployment.  But I digress. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
it's 55% of your income to a max of $455 per week (I'm going off memory, so the numbers might be slightly different). It is taxed at your rate of income while on Mat leave. So, you gotta save some pennies for the tax man, because if you made more before or after being on Mat leave, they want a piece of that because your total income for the year will be higher than the tax bracket while on Mat leave.

It's a OK system and nice when your employer tops up.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:43 PM »
Yay, they just announced that everyone in our company will be reduced by 20% pay and hours.

Hopefully it stops there, but I don’t think it will.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 05:36:33 PM »
Yay, they just announced that everyone in our company will be reduced by 20% pay and hours.

Damn.  I'm sorry to hear that. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

As bad as that sounds, at least you still have a job. Hang in there and it will get better.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
Coronavirus
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 08:26:51 PM »
We’ll be fine for sure, but this will put a screeching halt to getting the lift done on the truck this summer and our planned deck re-build. We certainly are better off than others.

I figured it was coming, our CEO doesn’t want to lay anyone off and that means everyone has to take a hit. I’m all for that approach.

* Recent Photos

IMG_8613.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal