1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 22583 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Coronavirus
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
I'm curious.  You can't escape it atleast hearing about it.  Have any of you been impacted directly yet?  Have you had to make any changes to your normal life?

With all of the talk about it all over the world, I have yet to hear Canada mentioned even once but maybe I missed it.  Ryan, what it's like to our north?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
We have one confirmed case in Rochester, NY where I live. I refuse to panic and buy a 12 year supply of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. Everybody else in this town is losing their minds though. My ex (admittedly a nurse) bought a pallet of hand sanitizer. Do you think that might be considered hoarding? Nah.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Gong show up here. Something like 60 confirmed cases across the country.

People are being idiots and buying 5 years worth of toilet paper and canned food.

Head office has told me no travel and we have a good chunk of employees working from home for the rest of the month. Daycare’s and schools are slowly being shut down and no events or gatherings of more than 250 people.

We were gonna head back home to my Dads at the end of the month, but will be putting it on hold. I don’t want to chance bringing anything to my 94 y/o grandma. Even as slim as that chance may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 05:06:46 PM »
Tom, good call on making her your ex, assuming it was your choice (we will pretend it was either way).  She sounds crazy. 

Its pretty mind blowing what people are concerned with buying.  I went to Walmart and then the grocery store today.  I had a specific goal in mind at Walmart but while there I browsed on over to the grocery side and looked at the water.  They have a very long isle completely dedicated to water which was 95% sold out.  Then the toilet paper isle...

At the grocery store, I couldn't help but look at people's carts.  One guy had over 10 laundry detergents.  A lot of old people buying tons of soda.  One lady had a cart full of spaghetti and mountain dew. 

There is atleast one confirmed case in our area. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 08:32:39 AM »
Well things seem to have escalated quickly. Travel lockdown on many fronts and people continue to panic. I have the kiddos this week while the Wife is away on a business trip, it’s gonna be fun to get groceries for next week. May just crack into the freezer stock instead.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »
There has been people fist fighting over toilet paper.  There was a line outside one of the grocery stores this morning before it opened and when it did, everyone sprinted in.  It's crazy.  Every school in Pennsylvania is closed for 2 weeks causing major headaches for parents who work. 

I'm just hoping I don't need to be quarantined for any reason and my job isn't affected. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »
Ventured back out again today.  I feel like I got my priorities in order.  I bought ammo incase the gun stores close or the craziest buy it out.  They're rationing ammo to people.  Put together a home gym incase my gym closes.  Four counties to the south of us have ordered the closure of all non-essential stores, so everything besides groceries, gas and medical.  So gyms are starting to close.  Picked up some extra meat incase the crazies are still at it next week.  Toilet paper... We buy in bulk anyway so we will probably be alright and if not, I'll just shower.  Problem solved.  I'm sure I can just buy some next week when the shelves are restocked and no one has any news to buy more because they have a lifetime supply at home already. 

Funny thing is, everywhere I went was a ghost town today.  Dicks was completely empty.  Grocery stores don't have much stock so no one is there anymore.  Gun store... PACKED!  Haha.  A lot of Asians buying ARs for some reason.  Could really be a Chinese conspiracy.  Haha

Also, as of today, Pennsylvania has 63 confirmed cases out of the 13 million or so people.  But they haven't even tested 1000 people yet.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:38:55 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
One of those counties closing up non-essential stores.  First thing to close was liquor stores.  They officially close Tuesday.  Here is the line today.  Ironically, if you're waiting in that line to get alcohol, you could probably use some time away from it.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
For sure! But I have plenty in stock, lol.

I find it interesting that all these folks will still gather in groups like this for something that is not needed. Food sure, but why risk it just so you can have a gin and tonic.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 09:44:22 PM »
They have no shut down our schools and daycares, starting tomorrow.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 05:40:32 AM »
I'm attempting to refuse to participate in the stupid human tricks I see going on all around me.   :yoda:

Why do people think they need a 2 year supply of toilet paper anyway?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »
We were ones that didn't go to the stores and get things....

We are running low on hand soap....glad we have a detail cabinet full of IPA pints...looks like they are going to be mixed with water to make our own cleaner....

LOL not really but you know what I am saying. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »
I'm not participating either.  I grabbed a few extra things just incase the crazies don't give up and keep buying up lifetime supplies of things.  My grocery bill is usually $150 a week or so.  It was $200 this week.  Not a big jump.

Our Governor declared a statewide emergency this afternoon.  Ordered the closing of all non-essential businesses for two weeks.  Not really a big deal to me.  My gym officially closed today.  That's kind of a bummer but since I don't trust all the members will do their part, I had decided to workout strictly at home for the next few weeks anyway.  The PA Turnpike will stop accepting cash tonight at 8pm and will bill you based on your license plate.  What a crazy time. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »

We are running low on hand soap....glad we have a detail cabinet full of IPA pints...looks like they are going to be mixed with water to make our own cleaner....

I fully expect shelves will continue to be stocked and those who bought a lifetime supply will not need to go back out and buy more.  If you can squeeze by for a week, I think you'll be fine.  We were a few days late to the party so we missed out on everything people are hoarding, too. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:53 AM »

I fully expect shelves will continue to be stocked and those who bought a lifetime supply will not need to go back out and buy more.  If you can squeeze by for a week, I think you'll be fine.  We were a few days late to the party so we missed out on everything people are hoarding, too. 

Agreed. Think of the effect hording toilet paper is having on that supply chain. First, people wiped out the retail shelves. This inventory was quickly replaced by inventory from local warehouses - which was promptly wiped out again. This repeated itself all the way back through regional warehouses and finally to the factories. But now people have a 2 year supply squirreled away at home. But the factories go on emergency overtime to refill the now empty supply chain. Once they manage to fill it back up, nobody buys anything for 2 years because of what's in their closets. Now you shut the factories down and lay good people off. Just plain stupid.

Maybe we need a stimulous package for laxative manufacturers?

* Recent Photos

IMG_1461.JPG

Views: 3
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal