1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Rough install  (Read 27726 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Rough install
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »
So the license plate relocation?  That just lowered it some? 

That's a whole lotta light up front.  I like it.  What's with the channel lock in the tow hook?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hey, didn't have a chance to update this yet, had to load photos from Tapatalk. 

That is a whole new plate mount, it lowers it, from KD Fabworks where I bought the light bar brackets too.   I did have to mod the shit of this but I knew that.  The whole front air scoop is now gone.   

The Channel Locks were holding the bumper on when I was taking off the drive side, I didn't want it to slide off and bang the paint.    I gotta go aim them.   Matthew from Off Brand send me free Amber covers for all the lights.   Very cool of him to do that.   I am helping write up an install for the grill lights.   Back in a bit, gotta run out and aim them.   (PS, I am still not super happy with the aim on the grill lights,  THe driver side is still pointing a little left.   Just need to pull the grill AGAIN and dremel out the bracket more.   Needs prob an 1/8 inch more.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »
Amber covers....installed.   

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »
Man, I can't help but be jealous.  I love everything you're doing.  I just have so much other stuff I want to spend money on that I can't pull the trigger on anything.  Looking great though. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2020, 10:44:34 PM »
Man, I can't help but be jealous.  I love everything you're doing.  I just have so much other stuff I want to spend money on that I can't pull the trigger on anything.  Looking great though. 

Thanks Mike, no reason to be jealous, i have waited and planned for awhile with this truck.  It's so different and options are limited.  Having been able to repurpose my 20 light bar saved money, the most expensive part of these lights has been the cost of the new 6 inch bars and the brackets.  I am pretty much done at this point but I do want to consider new Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners and I am totally thinking about the sulastic springs for the rear and maybe the Phoenix stereo upgrade. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »

Thanks Mike, no reason to be jealous, i have waited and planned for awhile with this truck.  It's so different and options are limited.  Having been able to repurpose my 20 light bar saved money, the most expensive part of these lights has been the cost of the new 6 inch bars and the brackets.  I am pretty much done at this point but I do want to consider new Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners and I am totally thinking about the sulastic springs for the rear and maybe the Phoenix stereo upgrade.

It's ok.  It's a healthy jealousy.  Haha.  I'm happy for you at the same time.  It's not the bitter type of jealousy.  I love seeing people do their thing. 

I would love to upgrade my stereo.  My last truck was acceptable with the higher end Bose system. This truck lacks what I'm used to since every other vehicle had tons of money dumped in to the stereo. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »

JP,

Just out of curiosity, how much did the amber filters cut down on light output.

BTW, I just installed a totally kick ass set of fogs in the Tacoma from Diode Dynamics. Selective yellow SS3 Pros in the fog pattern. Unbelievable light output and completely street legal.

This is low beams with the fogs:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »

JP,

BTW, I just installed a totally kick ass set of fogs in the Tacoma from Diode Dynamics. Selective yellow SS3 Pros in the fog pattern. Unbelievable light output and completely street legal.

Tom, how is the color temperature.  In the past, Diode Dynamics has had a greenish tint to their 3000k lights. 

Cassie has the Rigid Side Shooters mounted to her hood hinges.  I got her the clip on yellow covers and it cut a lot of the light out.  Still functional in bad weather though and plenty bright.  However, the side shooter design and mounting locations tends to reflect light off of the covers and distracts you similar to having your instrument panel turned up too bright at night, but worse. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »

JP,

Tom, hard to say, but a LOT....however, I was able to test today in the fog and rain...the lights with the amber covers are brilliant...you can totally see...never experienced anything like it.   When I had the jeep  with all the light bars, if you turned them on in the fog, you blinded yourself and there was zero visibility.    I didn't add these for the the use of fog lights but now that I know how much safer they are, I am prob gonna leave the covers on.  It will still get attention of someone if i need them out of my way on the highway but it's not piercing light that comes out of them at 5k-6k kelvin.   

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 06:43:55 AM »

JP,

Tom, how is the color temperature.  In the past, Diode Dynamics has had a greenish tint to their 3000k lights. 

Cassie has the Rigid Side Shooters mounted to her hood hinges.  I got her the clip on yellow covers and it cut a lot of the light out.  Still functional in bad weather though and plenty bright.  However, the side shooter design and mounting locations tends to reflect light off of the covers and distracts you similar to having your instrument panel turned up too bright at night, but worse. 

Mike,

I'd say they nailed the color temperature dead nuts. No green tint that I can detect. The only nit I can pick is that the Pro model fog beams are not as well defined as the Sport model in the same pattern. Then again, there's a significant bump up in light output. You know me. Power corrupts and absolute power is kind of neat. I had to go with the higher output. I'll have to get a better picture with fewer trees in it to show you the true reach of the pattern.

I'm waiting for a friend of mine in Tacoma World to finish his detailed testing of these lights - especially in comparison to the revised Baja Designs SAE fogs. In talking to him though, his initial reaction was that these things kick butt.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:47 AM »

JP,

Tom, hard to say, but a LOT....however, I was able to test today in the fog and rain...the lights with the amber covers are brilliant...you can totally see...never experienced anything like it.   When I had the jeep  with all the light bars, if you turned them on in the fog, you blinded yourself and there was zero visibility.    I didn't add these for the the use of fog lights but now that I know how much safer they are, I am prob gonna leave the covers on.  It will still get attention of someone if i need them out of my way on the highway but it's not piercing light that comes out of them at 5k-6k kelvin.

I figured the filters would knock them back a bit. But as you've discovered, the change in color has other benefits. Sounds like a worth while trade off to me!

Speaking of amber, nobody noticed the strange yellow tint to my headlights? Based on the recommendation of a friend who's an expert in the field of lighting, I'm experimenting with a set of Osram 85/80 All Season headlight bulbs. I have to run a special heavy duty harness with dual relays to handle the draw. So far, I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:56:40 AM by Too Stroked »

* Recent Photos

AR15

Views: 1
By: 05supercrew

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal