* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Rough install  (Read 27738 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Rough install
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 07:40:44 PM »
Got to tinkering.    Pulled grill again and made some tweeks.....20 year old Dremel died half way through.   Was using it to mod the brackets so one side of the lights would sit more level.

since we had 1 inch of snow today....busted out the heater garage.   This thing is bad ass but I think it's time for a mini split system in here.     

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
Looks better. Did it do the trick?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »

Tom,  I like the position of the lights better but we are talking about millimeters difference.  I tried to dremel out and drill out a slot in the grill so I could slide them back farther.   I need to look at some other fabrication options with my buddy who has a CNC machine.   He may be able to make me some brackets that I can maneuver more.   Over all I am more satisfied but still need to get it outside in the dark and aim them up and down...not sure where I want them pointing....other than directly in the rear view mirror of a left lane ass hole.   

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 05:34:46 AM »

Tom,  I like the position of the lights better but we are talking about millimeters difference.  I tried to dremel out and drill out a slot in the grill so I could slide them back farther.   I need to look at some other fabrication options with my buddy who has a CNC machine.   He may be able to make me some brackets that I can maneuver more.   Over all I am more satisfied but still need to get it outside in the dark and aim them up and down...not sure where I want them pointing....other than directly in the rear view mirror of a left lane ass hole.
You're working in pretty tight quarters there, so I feel your pain. Compounding this is the fact that the farther down the road your lights reach, the more critical aim becomes - as you've already found out.

As for the desire to be able to shine something bright directly in the rear view mirror of idiots, I have a different solution. I carry a big rechargeable HID flashlight actually designed for marine search & rescue. The lens is about 8" diameter and as you might guess, it's pretty damn bright. I may have pulled this out of the back seat and shined it directly in one particular idiot's rear view mirror one dark night.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 07:47:16 AM »

You're working in pretty tight quarters there, so I feel your pain. Compounding this is the fact that the farther down the road your lights reach, the more critical aim becomes - as you've already found out.

As for the desire to be able to shine something bright directly in the rear view mirror of idiots, I have a different solution. I carry a big rechargeable HID flashlight actually designed for marine search & rescue. The lens is about 8" diameter and as you might guess, it's pretty damn bright. I may have pulled this out of the back seat and shined it directly in one particular idiot's rear view mirror one dark night.
I've don't the flashlight thing.  Very affective.  Very satisfying.  Very... petty?  I think I'm in the right company though. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
So did you just drill straight in to the grille then?  I can't bring myself to do that.  On my Chevy I just cut half the grille put though so I guess it's not so bad. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
So did you just drill straight in to the grille then?  I can't bring myself to do that.  On my Chevy I just cut half the grille put though so I guess it's not so bad. 

yuppers, drilled 4 holes, it is tight in there, I had to do it with my socket wrench driver.    I used a super heated drill bit to make the pilot hole.   Then tapered it out with step down bit.   It was a pain in the ass.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »

yuppers, drilled 4 holes, it is tight in there, I had to do it with my socket wrench driver.    I used a super heated drill bit to make the pilot hole.   Then tapered it out with step down bit.   It was a pain in the ass.
I hadn't really given any though to the actual drilling of the holes.  F that.  If I was going to put holes in the grille, I think I would have just used a dremmel and cut slots from the back.  Snug the bolts down and it wouldn't move.  You could have made them slightly larger so you could tweak the angle slightly. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:04:50 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
yeah I follow that response.

I could make one side a slot then just change the bolt on that side to a tad longer so i could use a washer to hold that side in place...will keep that as an option for sure.  Its pretty hard plastic so that may work.   

I haven't had time to re aim them or see what the beam pattern looks like since I made the changes.  I may have them pointed a tad high.   

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how did you wire them? Did you just go to an Upfitter switch on the dash?

I wired the 32" LED bar behind my grill through a relay triggered off my high beams. That way when I pull the stalk back, all hell breaks loose. I could have run it through an enable / disable switch on the dash to make it more legal, but decided not to.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 03:14:12 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how did you wire them? Did you just go to an Upfitter switch on the dash?

I wired the 32" LED bar behind my grill through a relay triggered off my high beams. That way when I pull the stalk back, all hell breaks loose. I could have run it through an enable / disable switch on the dash to make it more legal, but decided not to.
That's my preference, however, my irrational fear of wiring prevents me from doing such things. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »

That's my preference, however, my irrational fear of wiring prevents me from doing such things. 

Aurora makes it really easy...connect the connectors, wire is already lumed, ran it over to the upfiitter, added a splice connector and grounded one side.   No need for relay, they are built in the Fords.  Boom done.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »

Aurora makes it really easy...connect the connectors, wire is already lumed, ran it over to the upfiitter, added a splice connector and grounded one side.   No need for relay, they are built in the Fords.  Boom done.
I want the high beam stalk.  I'll just buy everything, mount it and drive on up to Rochester and have Tom wire it. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 09:23:20 PM »

what year is your truck ?

I might have the EVTM for it, and be able to make a wiring diagram that even RP ( Brad ) could follow  :redneck:
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:49 PM »
Got to tinkering.    Pulled grill again and made some tweeks.....20 year old Dremel died half way through.   Was using it to mod the brackets so one side of the lights would sit more level.

OK, I have to be the turd in the punch bowl...  :dope:

Is that all plastic that you are mounted to ?
- It looks like it is.

I was looking at this for 5 min this evening, and think you might want a plate under it to add support to those bolt heads.

I am thinking vibrations creating spider cracks in the grille..

This is conjecture camouflaged as I know what I am talking about.. :redneck:
Steve

* Recent Photos

DSCN0352.JPG

Views: 2
By: GreyMichFX4

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal