March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Rough install  (Read 27725 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Rough install
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »
Got the new 6 inch Aurora mini lights in.    Had an issue with aiming but they will work.   I really just wanted them aimed at rear view mirror heights for those a holes camping in the Left lane.   

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Rough install
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:22:44 AM »
JP,

Looks good! What was the problem you ran into when mounting them? Nothing solid to mount to? Are they rated for paint removal?  :funny:

When I was coming back from Colorado last month, I had an idiot in Iowa (in a Dodge pickup) with those damn Chinese "drop in" replacement LED headlight bulbs. You know, the kind that screws up the light pattern enough to provide 150% more glare to oncoming drivers? Well, he followed me - while blinding me - for a couple miles. After I had enough, I slowed down and forced him to pass me. Then I let him have it with the bazillion or so watts of forward facing lights that I have. He almost swerved off the road. Does that make me a bad person?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
Good for you. People have no idea on how how bad their lights affect other drivers, they are just happy to have "brighter" lights.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 02:15:58 PM »
I constantly have people flashing their high beams at me in my car because they think I have my high beams on.  They are completely stock LEDs but the low beams consist of 5 stacked projectors on each side.  Turning on my high beams adds an additional 4 projectors on each side.  They are definitely bright which I appreciate in the middle of nowhere at night but I think the appearance of multiple light sources makes oncoming drivers assume I have my high beams on. 

Pretty much a no win situation!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
I constantly have people flashing their high beams at me in my car because they think I have my high beams on.  They are completely stock LEDs but the low beams consist of 5 stacked projectors on each side.  Turning on my high beams adds an additional 4 projectors on each side.  They are definitely bright which I appreciate in the middle of nowhere at night but I think the appearance of multiple light sources makes oncoming drivers assume I have my high beams on. 

I'll take factory / OEM LED headlights any day over "drop in" aftermarket replacement bulbs. They just flat out do not work properly in housings designed for halogen bulbs. Here's a great thread written by a friend of mine as to why the aftermarket bulbs don[t work and bother so many people:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
JP,

Looks good! What was the problem you ran into when mounting them? Nothing solid to mount to? Are they rated for paint removal?  :funny:

I am in year end sales activity so my time is a tad limited, i will post up a more detailed install, I may pull the grill this weekend and tinker more on the lights.   Bascially I had to eye ball them and tried really hard to install them the exact same way on each side.   The grill is curved and I also noticed that the bars in the grill are not level.  Meeaning they angle down and back, i guess it is an optical illusion when you see them in person but by math they do slop downward so I need to mod the brackets a little more and tweek the install a bit.   I also lost a collar that holds the washer fluid hose on that grill....it is now holding via zip ties.   

UGH .

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
No good deed goes unpunished.  :om:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »
Good for you. People have no idea on how how bad their lights affect other drivers, they are just happy to have "brighter" lights.
I don't believe this for a second.  There is no way people are ignorant to the issue.  Maybe at one time, but now with so many on the road, every single driver has come across it so many times, no one can plead ignorance.  Now it's just piling on.  If you can't beat em, join em mentality.

Also, while most of the drop ins are not designed properly, some of them are doing their research and designing lights that achieve a similar cut off.  They're not cheap though. 

Also... The lights look good, Jason!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 07:54:56 PM »
I don't believe this for a second.  There is no way people are ignorant to the issue.  ...<snip>...

Maybe not ignorant to the issue, but for sure don't care about the issue. 
They think they have better lighting.  They do not realize they are splattering light all over the road 35' in front of them and beyond that is still pitch black.

That deer just jumped out in front of me
- No dumbass, it was in the road for 6 min while you were driving up on it, you just could not see it.

I don't know about you guys, but the next new wave of stupidity seems to be 6500K and north color temps. 
Nothing like purple lights ( splattered around ) to see what you are doing at midnight on the road :crazy:
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:00:53 PM »
i was heads down today with work, almost 8 solid hours of calls.

I did manage to step out and look at the grill lights, I do think I need to pull the grill off again and re-aim them.   The curved front end really threw me off and I was doing most of the install from the back so I didn't get a chance to really look at where they were pointed until I did a few test shots.  In looking at them now, I have them aimed poorly.   Thinking of also ordering the covers for them. 

It maybe too cold this weekend to do it but my OCD has my brain thinking about it non stop until its fixed.   

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
You may be able to see that I have the. Aimed wrong and you may be able to see how the grill slopes.   

Shitty photos

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »

I'll take factory / OEM LED headlights any day over "drop in" aftermarket replacement bulbs. They just flat out do not work properly in housings designed for halogen bulbs. Here's a great thread written by a friend of mine as to why the aftermarket bulbs don[t work and bother so many people:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/

Yep. Agreed. These are OEM lights so they are doing what they are designed to do. Apparently a little too well. Had it happen on my way home tonight. A friend that has the same car has the problem too.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 12:14:44 PM »
You may be able to see that I have the. Aimed wrong and you may be able to see how the grill slopes.   

Shitty photos

Looks like they might be splayed outward just a bit. Remember though, correcting the splay will make them look funny in the grill since they will no longer be even with it on both sides. Function over form here.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »

Shitty photos

Ok, so what would be your thoughts here?  Move them to more front facing, (They are recessed a little so you may not see that ) or have them follow the contour and thus making them shine kind of outward as opposed to more strait?   

Looks like they might be splayed outward just a bit. Remember though, correcting the splay will make them look funny in the grill since they will no longer be even with it on both sides. Function over form here.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 05:39:35 PM »
I think it all depends on where you want the light.  They're.combo right?  So spot beam in the middle and flood on the outside?  Or are they driving beam?  Do whatever you have to do to get the light where you want it. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 6
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal