* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Snow wheeling fun  (Read 18915 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Snow wheeling fun
« on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:43 PM »
Took the truck out today for some off-road fun. I got a local buddy to tag along with his 2017.

We went down a pretty mild trail, but he got stuck pretty bad going “off trial” and I had to winch him out.

It was a lot of fun and as a bonus, I don’t think I broke anything, woohoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Snow wheeling fun
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 10:23:48 PM »
Man that looks fun!  Are those wild horses?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 10:30:30 PM »
Man that looks fun!  Are those wild horses?

Yeah, they are wild. Apparently everywhere in the area

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
Looks like fun - for the guy on the control end of the winch!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
I like how your buddy's windshield is cracked.  Haha

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »

It might have been before the phrase hold my beer watch this.. Came out. :funny:
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
do you lower air pressure for snow like that?   I don't think my F250 is a very good 4x4.   

But that is proof that if you know how to drive you can take these trucks places like that.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
do you lower air pressure for snow like that?   I don't think my F250 is a very good 4x4.   

But that is proof that if you know how to drive you can take these trucks places like that.
Big heavy trucks with wide tires aren't the greatest in snow.  Narrow tires, good tread pattern with lots of siping and a soft rubber compound.  The siping is super important.  It actually grabs the snow and hangs on to it so the snow on the tire is acting as grip with the snow on the ground.  Snow grips better go itself than rubber does. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »
Looks like fun - for the guy on the control end of the winch!

He wasn't too happy that I made it through and he didn't.  :nana:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »

It might have been before the phrase hold my beer watch this.. Came out. :funny:

Well, we are literally the worst area for busted windshields, they use "gravel" on our roads around here. Pretty much guaranteed to get a chip/crack every year.

Big heavy trucks with wide tires aren't the greatest in snow.  Narrow tires, good tread pattern with lots of siping and a soft rubber compound.  The siping is super important.  It actually grabs the snow and hangs on to it so the snow on the tire is acting as grip with the snow on the ground.  Snow grips better go itself than rubber does. 

I would normally 100% agree, but it was very interesting this time out.

So I run 305/65/18's and he runs 285/70/17's. He has new Duratrac's and I and have "near" new KO2's. By all accounts, I thought I was going to be the one getting stuck, but he got stuck several times and couldn't climb for sh*t compared to me.

My truck is almost exactly 1000lbs heavier than his to boot. But, my theory is that the conditions were conducive to a wider tire. He would bite right through the snow and spin on the frozen ground, where as I was staying on top of the snow and continuing to get some bite with the snow. We climbed up one switch-back type logging road where anything over 10* slope lead to him getting stuck or really struggling. I was fine right up to 17* slope and only had to stop and turn around (actually back down like 200 yards), was because he couldn't make it up.

It was odd and completely counter-intuitive to what I thought would happen. We both aired down to around 30psi and are running LT tires.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »

Well, we are literally the worst area for busted windshields, they use "gravel" on our roads around here. Pretty much guaranteed to get a chip/crack every year.

I would normally 100% agree, but it was very interesting this time out.

So I run 305/65/18's and he runs 285/70/17's. He has new Duratrac's and I and have "near" new KO2's. By all accounts, I thought I was going to be the one getting stuck, but he got stuck several times and couldn't climb for sh*t compared to me.

My truck is almost exactly 1000lbs heavier than his to boot. But, my theory is that the conditions were conducive to a wider tire. He would bite right through the snow and spin on the frozen ground, where as I was staying on top of the snow and continuing to get some bite with the snow. We climbed up one switch-back type logging road where anything over 10* slope lead to him getting stuck or really struggling. I was fine right up to 17* slope and only had to stop and turn around (actually back down like 200 yards), was because he couldn't make it up.

It was odd and completely counter-intuitive to what I thought would happen. We both aired down to around 30psi and are running LT tires.

Oh I could believe that you'd do better than him based on those pics. I'd call that deep / loose snow and that's the kind of stuff you want to float up on. The narrower tires (like I run) are far better on hard pack / ice though - and pretty useless in deep stuff - for just the reasons you mentioned.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 05:41:30 PM »
How deep do you think that snow is?  Enough to touch frame?  I was thinking being able to cut down through the snow may be beneficial if you can reach pavement or ground.  Otherwise I wonder if it's not better to float the snow and let that siping take hold. 

Edit - Didn't see Tom's post.  Damnit. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »

The force is not strong with this one.  :yoda:

:funny:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 02:21:58 PM »
How deep do you think that snow is?  Enough to touch frame?  I was thinking being able to cut down through the snow may be beneficial if you can reach pavement or ground.  Otherwise I wonder if it's not better to float the snow and let that siping take hold. 

I was dragging the rear end/frame in a few spots, so kinda deep. In this case the snow offered more traction then the frozen ground.

Probably a different story if he had studs or chains.

* Recent Photos

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal