* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Wiring help - Reverse Light  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Wiring help - Reverse Light
« on: December 28, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »
Installed the LPR Reverse Light System.  Will post the short install video from their website below.  This is my second time installing one of these.  First time was on Cassie's car and went perfect.  Only difference is that I also swapped her incandescent reverse bulbs for LEDs where as I left mine incandescent for the time being.  Which brings me to issue.  So following the video below, my LPR system lights up as it should, however the factory incandescent bulbs "blew" out.  I put quotes because when I pulled them to look at them, the coil/spring (pictured below) that goes horizontal seems to have come off both bulbs and just rattles around inside the glass.  No burned out look on anything. 

https://youtu.be/8Bd-zC7jPiA

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Wiring help - Reverse Light
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »
Installed the LPR Reverse Light System.  Will post the short install video from their website below.  This is my second time installing one of these.  First time was on Cassie's car and went perfect.  Only difference is that I also swapped her incandescent reverse bulbs for LEDs where as I left mine incandescent for the time being.  Which brings me to issue.  So following the video below, my LPR system lights up as it should, however the factory incandescent bulbs "blew" out.  I put quotes because when I pulled them to look at them, the coil/spring (pictured below) that goes horizontal seems to have come off both bulbs and just rattles around inside the glass.  No burned out look on anything. 

I have the LPR system on my Tacoma and have had it since they first came out. I'm pretty impressed with it.

As for "blowing out" the two existing incandescent bulbs, I struggle with how that would even be possible. But humor me. How did you wire the LPR in? 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »

I have the LPR system on my Tacoma and have had it since they first came out. I'm pretty impressed with it.

As for "blowing out" the two existing incandescent bulbs, I struggle with how that would even be possible. But humor me. How did you wire the LPR in?
Exactly like the video shows.  Ran the wire over to the driver side tail light housing and used the provided clip to tap the reverse light wire. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 07:04:51 AM »

Exactly like the video shows.  Ran the wire over to the driver side tail light housing and used the provided clip to tap the reverse light wire. 

Hmmm, that makes no sense at all. If the LED bar lit up, then you have power and ground as well as correct polarity. (It wouldn't light up if you wired it backwards - and it wouldn't hurt anything.) Did you replace the blown bulbs to see if the new ones work?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 07:11:36 AM »

Hmmm, that makes no sense at all. If the LED bar lit up, then you have power and ground as well as correct polarity. (It wouldn't light up if you wired it backwards - and it wouldn't hurt anything.) Did you replace the blown bulbs to see if the new ones work?
Not yet.  I've been looking in to LED replacements.  That's the only difference between my install and the install I did on Cassie's car that was flawless.  I swapped her bulbs to LED at the same time whereas I left mine incandescent.  Part of me wants to go buy replacements today though just to see if it happens again. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »

Not yet.  I've been looking in to LED replacements.  That's the only difference between my install and the install I did on Cassie's car that was flawless.  I swapped her bulbs to LED at the same time whereas I left mine incandescent.  Part of me wants to go buy replacements today though just to see if it happens again. 

Trust me, I've been down the LED (921) replacement bulb route for backup bulbs and everything I tried was junk. I'm back to a set of incandescent HIR bulbs that actually do work great.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »

Trust me, I've been down the LED (921) replacement bulb route for backup bulbs and everything I tried was junk. I'm back to a set of incandescent HIR bulbs that actually do work great.
Cassie's have been great.  No issues at all.  I don't remember who makes them.  Maybe Morimoto.  I was looking at the JDM Astar.  Ofcourse Amazon has them in every color except white so I'll have to get them from California rather than one or two day shipping from Amazon.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
I had great luck with 921's but you have to get the good ones. 

Superbright makes a good one so does Autoilllumination. 

The ones I had my KR were the fan ones. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
Ok.  Cheap Sylvania Silver Stars are in and working.  I still find it super odd that the filament blew out of both bulbs simultaneously at the same time that I happen to be tapping in to the same wires.  I will run these for a while even though they look horrible compared to the LPR system. 

Edit because I forgot the picture of the bulbs I removed.  It's hard to see because its clear and couldn't focus very well but you can see the filaments are gone.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:43:54 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »
Oh, and incase anybody cares.  Tom knows this is a great little light.  I've posted Cassie's install before. 

* Recent Photos

Views: 6
By: Rockpick

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal