1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 2014 Toyota Tacoma  (Read 29184 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: 2014 Toyota Tacoma
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »
Coatings have REALLY taken off, but I'm sure there is still a solid fan base for Waxes and Sealants. I'm just getting lazy these days and don't want to apply a LSP several times a season.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
Hopefully I can get around to it. It's almost pointless to wash my truck.  The road to my house being dirt and stone is either wet and muddy or dry and dusty.  It's really a no win.  But I still want to keep the truck protected. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 03:16:20 PM »
Coatings have REALLY taken off, but I'm sure there is still a solid fan base for Waxes and Sealants. I'm just getting lazy these days and don't want to apply a LSP several times a season.

I'm with you. As much as I love some waxes (like Collonite 845) and sealants (like Jescar / Menzerna  Power Lock), I just don't have the time to re-apply them as often as needed. I've been experimenting with Ceramic Coatings for about 5 years now and they've come a long, long way. Not only do they provide an incredible gloss, but they last a year or more. I can handle that!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »

I'm with you. As much as I love some waxes (like Collonite 845) and sealants (like Jescar / Menzerna  Power Lock), I just don't have the time to re-apply them as often as needed. I've been experimenting with Ceramic Coatings for about 5 years now and they've come a long, long way. Not only do they provide an incredible gloss, but they last a year or more. I can handle that!
You expect us to believe you don't have much free time anymore? Come on Mr Part-Time...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 06:48:05 AM »

You expect us to believe you don't have much free time anymore? Come on Mr Part-Time...

Hey, last week I put in just over 30 hours! I'm exhausted.  :om:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »

Tripled my hours.  I'm doing 10 a week.  Except this week.  I did an extra half day today basically just hanging out with the boss, problem solving a job, in Hershey. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »

Tripled my hours.  I'm doing 10 a week.  Except this week.  I did an extra half day today basically just hanging out with the boss, problem solving a job, in Hershey. 

Where can I get one of these seasonal jobs and how well do they pay ?   :slow:

Finished 3 RFIs last week, presenting on them next week so off to the airport for me.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
I'm experimenting with McKee's 37 SiO2 Coating. Heard some good things about it, so I snagged a kit to try on the Tacoma. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm liking it a lot.

Interesting update. When I first tried the McKee's 37 SiO2 coating on my Tacoma, I was quite impressed. I was mainly interested in finding a coating that lasted longer than ones I tried in the past and it exceeded my expectations there by lasting through a whole Rochester winter and almost daily (touchless) automatic car washes.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I had time to give my son's 2013 Scion tC a pretty complete exterior detail. You may remember this car as I posted pics up of it here and it's got a pretty nice dark maroon / sort of metallic root beer colored paint job.  When I got through cleaning, decontaminating and polishing the paint, I decided to coat it with the McKees product since I was o happy with it. The temperature was right around 55 degrees, so it was marginal according to everything I read, but it seemed to go on reasonably well with just a little difficulty in the leveling / removal step. It also looked pretty decent, but it was getting dark and it was cloudy when I finished.

The next day, Brandon called me and said that although it was raining, the coating looked "a little weird." I dismissed it as just the rain, but had him bring the car back for a wash the next day to dig deeper. Sure enough the coating was what I can only describe as "splotchy." Ok, maybe I did something wrong, so I polished it all off and tried again on one quarter panel. This time it was more like 65 degrees and sunny, so I could really see what was going on. No matter what I tried, the coating refused to level out and come off evenly. Even after 5 minutes, it was still somewhat sticky. Hmmm. I punted and applied my trusty Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock which went on and came off beautifully - and looked killer.

I'm going to try to contact somebody at McKee's in the next few days, but we may have a problem here. I'm wondering if it's because of the "new formula" they claim to have out. Any thoughts?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »
I'm experimenting with McKee's 37 SiO2 Coating. Heard some good things about it, so I snagged a kit to try on the Tacoma. What do you guys think? Personally, I'm liking it a lot.

Interesting update. When I first tried the McKee's 37 SiO2 coating on my Tacoma, I was quite impressed. I was mainly interested in finding a coating that lasted longer than ones I tried in the past and it exceeded my expectations there by lasting through a whole Rochester winter and almost daily (touchless) automatic car washes.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I had time to give my son's 2013 Scion tC a pretty complete exterior detail. You may remember this car as I posted pics up of it here and it's got a pretty nice dark maroon / sort of metallic root beer colored paint job.  When I got through cleaning, decontaminating and polishing the paint, I decided to coat it with the McKees product since I was o happy with it. The temperature was right around 55 degrees, so it was marginal according to everything I read, but it seemed to go on reasonably well with just a little difficulty in the leveling / removal step. It also looked pretty decent, but it was getting dark and it was cloudy when I finished.

The next day, Brandon called me and said that although it was raining, the coating looked "a little weird." I dismissed it as just the rain, but had him bring the car back for a wash the next day to dig deeper. Sure enough the coating was what I can only describe as "splotchy." Ok, maybe I did something wrong, so I polished it all off and tried again on one quarter panel. This time it was more like 65 degrees and sunny, so I could really see what was going on. No matter what I tried, the coating refused to level out and come off evenly. Even after 5 minutes, it was still somewhat sticky. Hmmm. I punted and applied my trusty Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock which went on and came off beautifully - and looked killer.

I'm going to try to contact somebody at McKee's in the next few days, but we may have a problem here. I'm wondering if it's because of the "new formula" they claim to have out. Any thoughts?
So at the very end of the post you question whether it's the new formula.  Without knowing the product and how far a bottle goes, I'm assuming you aren't using the same bottle you used on the Tacoma? 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 08:13:04 PM »
Good question. I originally bought one bottle, but based on my results with the Tacoma, bought 2 more since they were on sale. I have no idea if there's a difference between bottles. I may have to do some more experimentation to see if there's a difference between bottles. I can tell you that the pump sprayer was useless on the original bottle since the product cured in it. When I pulled the other bottles out to swap sprayers, I may have mixed the bottles up.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 01:58:41 PM »
Tom,

I was holding my opinion on it since you liked it so much.

I have been doing defect removal around the Mrs' car; since it is sitting in the garage doing nothing.

I was running the heat in the garage when I test ran the hood & front fenders with SiO2 coating.
It was low humidity and ~ 70* and turned out well.  I let it sit for 5 days before doing more correction work as not to have dust blowing while it was curing.

After finishing the remainder of the car, I tried to apply the SiO2 coating to the remainder of the car.
- Garage was 67* and humidity was higher ( from not running the heat & rain that came through ).
I was applying it in this enviroment, as McKee's attempts the PB World application directions, but they fall short.

I had the same problems with the McKee's SiO2 product not leveling out and being sticky inside the garage never having been outside since I started on the front fenders.

I used the Surface prep to clean the McKees coating off the car to prep a polish section.
While I was waiting on this, I did a test panel with Opt Gloss Coat, and it had a little longer working time than normal, but worked as I expected being 68* by this time ( halogen lamps ). 

I did not care for the McKee's surface prep.  I only used it on one fender, the hood & other fender I used Griot's surface prep.

My bottle of SiO2 product was not open that long, so the eye dropper was fine.  I did feel like I used more McKees than OPT product.

In general, I am not that impressed with the McKee's coating in the application phase.  I do have an accidental test case, the front of the Mrs car is McKees and the back is going to be OPT.
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
So 3 weeks cure time sitting in the garage for both the front clip in McKees and the remainder in OPT GC.

Washed the car yesterday and found that the McKees is not as slick feeling as the OPT GC parts of the car.
It is obvious as the front fender is McKees and the doors and back are opt, so running the mitt over the 2 panels I can feel a difference in how the mitt glides.

I still do OPT with the apply, air gun to speed up the flash over and only touch it if there are high spots ( oil slicks ) that are not curing.

This is the mcKees in the bottle with the eye dropper.
- The pump sprayer comment made me question which McKees product is being used or if there is a difference.

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »
So 3 weeks cure time sitting in the garage for both the front clip in McKees and the remainder in OPT GC.

Washed the car yesterday and found that the McKees is not as slick feeling as the OPT GC parts of the car.
It is obvious as the front fender is McKees and the doors and back are opt, so running the mitt over the 2 panels I can feel a difference in how the mitt glides.

I still do OPT with the apply, air gun to speed up the flash over and only touch it if there are high spots ( oil slicks ) that are not curing.

This is the mcKees in the bottle with the eye dropper.
- The pump sprayer comment made me question which McKees product is being used or if there is a difference.

The product that was shipped to me and I used was the pump spray version.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 06:36:31 PM »
It's been waaaay too long since I've given the Tacoma any attention, so last week I got cracking on at least the exterior. Remember how I started this thread with some kind words about McKee's 37 Coating, then walked back my praise a bit later after running into some problems? Well, I had some product left and I really wanted to use it up as well as get something on the Tacoma (with 106,000 on the clock) before winter, so I went with the McKee's again. How did it work?

Well, the polishing step (3D One on a White LC CCS pad on the Flex) went well enough. then it was on to the coating. Just as before, the coating went on well, then the fun began. The big problem was the leveling after the product had flashed / hazed. No matter what I tried, the product seemed to want to grab the microfiber towel. If I was persistent enough (which I was) it eventually let go and wiped down to a very nice and highly glossy finish. I was even enough of a glutton for punishment that I applied a second coat an hour later. I'm all done with this stuff though. Here's a rather sexy shot I took a week later:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:17:38 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
Those wheels get me everytime.  They are just unnaturally clean.  I don't think I've gotten wheels that clean even brand new out of the box.  What the hell is this sorcery...

* Recent Photos

Views: 2
By: Tdub

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal