1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 2014 Toyota Tacoma  (Read 29182 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 2014 Toyota Tacoma
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
how does it feel once set up?
As with most coatings, once it cures, it's slick as hell.  I actually did the coating in late November. Just forgot to post pics. Still feels great!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:26:40 PM »
As with most coatings, once it cures, it's slick as hell.  I actually did the coating in late November. Just forgot to post pics. Still feels great!

Thanks Tom, did you ever use Opti-Coat?   If so, can you see/feel, look at the difference?   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 06:34:26 AM »

Thanks Tom, did you ever use Opti-Coat?   If so, can you see/feel, look at the difference?

Yes, in fact Optimum Gloss Coat was on the truck for the previous year. I can't prove it, but I think the McKee's went on slightly thicker and had a higher gloss when cured.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
Good to know, I have gloss coat on the truck right now too. It's ability to "bead" has greatly diminished in under a year.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
Good to know, I have gloss coat on the truck right now too. It's ability to "bead" has greatly diminished in under a year.
Agreed. I was a little disappointed too, so I tried the McKee's coating. I'd be very happy with a solid year out of any product. I may re-do it in the spring, but apply multiple coats at that time. Working with just a single coat right now.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 05:34:01 PM »
Poorboys has been teasing like crazy their new coating.  I just can't imagine any of these coatings being that much better than others.  But what do I know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2020, 08:50:53 PM »
Yes, in fact Optimum Gloss Coat was on the truck for the previous year. I can't prove it, but I think the McKee's went on slightly thicker and had a higher gloss when cured.

When it came to flashing over, did you notice any difference in the 2 products ?

Did you use the same air gun method to speed up the flashing to see if a slight buff was needed in an area with streaks ?

When I had an area that streaked and would not flash over, that slight buffing always made me cringe: OK, here is an area that is going to be thin as all get out and cause problems down the road.

If the McKee's goes on thicker and does not have the streaking in the flash over phase, that is worth the price of the product right there.
- Aside from the difference in the coating types.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
hmmm....I still have Opti Coat V2 on my, not sure it is the same thing as the gloss coat.

I am very interested in the PB product, only bc, I saw them test with an APC spray on it and it didn't affect it.  I was very impressed by that...only b.c when I get after the wheels and tires, I use APC like a mad man and the spray with our wind out here goes everywhere.   

It ruined the coating on my glasses....

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »

When it came to flashing over, did you notice any difference in the 2 products ?

Did you use the same air gun method to speed up the flashing to see if a slight buff was needed in an area with streaks ?

When I had an area that streaked and would not flash over, that slight buffing always made me cringe: OK, here is an area that is going to be thin as all get out and cause problems down the road.

If the McKee's goes on thicker and does not have the streaking in the flash over phase, that is worth the price of the product right there.
Didn't notice a ton of difference in flash off between the two products. I did not use an air gun to accelerate either of them.

I haven't had a problem with streaking or poor coverage with the Optimum products. I just wasn't truly excited by their durability.

My next big test - in two or three months - will be to polish the McKee's coating off, then re-apply it with 2 or 3 coats. I'm thinking that may be exactly what I'm looking for. The Toaster needs a good detail and coating too.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »

Didn't notice a ton of difference in flash off between the two products. I did not use an air gun to accelerate either of them.

I haven't had a problem with streaking or poor coverage with the Optimum products. I just wasn't truly excited by their durability.

My next big test - in two or three months - will be to polish the McKee's coating off, then re-apply it with 2 or 3 coats. I'm thinking that may be exactly what I'm looking for. The Toaster needs a good detail and coating too.

Did you follow the McKee's directions in the youtube product demo ?
- Wipe on with the applicator then wipe off excess.
https://youtu.be/GiqajSE-XzI

OptiCoat should only be wiped off in streaking cases if it does not flash over even.
- In this case, the wiping should be focused on the streak, not the panel being worked.
Opti Gloss Coat should be a thin coating that flashes over without a streak, so the panel is never touched after the applicator is used.
- I always have at least 2 small streaks on a vehicle, which means I am going at the streak with a Suede Microfiber Cloth to lightly buff it out.

I could never get the HVLP touch up spray gun method ( spray on, air gun flash off ) to work, I always had some part that would not flash over.  I must have wasted a 20cc tube trying to get this to work.  That HVLP touch up gun has been hanging unused on the rack for 5+ years now..

The McKee's looking like a WOWO Paint Coating that is a huge plus right there, no playing games with flash over looking for streaks in the panel like OPT.
The McKee's application process could save me a bunch of time over OPT gloss Coat.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 06:35:32 AM »

Yes sir. Followed them to the letter.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »

Yes sir. Followed them to the letter.

I ordered some McKee's this AM, I should have it this week.
As soon as I have time to polish the front fenders and hood of the Nav, I can apply it to compare that and the 5 to 18 month old Opticoat / Opti Gloss Coat application on the remainder of the truck.  The front has been PL applications,  I have 2 more marks to remove before I was going to coat it.
- I still had some old OptiCoat that I finished using before moving on to the newer tube of Gloss Coat.

The roof and driver's side doors and rear quarter are OptiCoat, the tailgate and passenger side are Opt Gloss Coat ( passenger side doors are the newest at ~ 5 months old ).  So far this is holding up very well.
The new style tunnel wash cleaned up the top of the ORD parking deck mess I was left with, when I got in the truck this past Sat @ 5:00 am.
- Rain and jet film.. what a lovely mess that is.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »
Noticed another interesting difference between the McKee's 37 SiO2 coating and the Optimum coating I'd previously used. Last night and today we had about 5" of wet, sloppy (and freezing) snow. When I got out of work, I carefully brushed the truck off. Much to my surprise, the frozen mess came off in sheets. It was like it never even bonded to the paint. Neat!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 11:44:09 PM »
I have the Poor Boys Ceramic coating on order through a local shop. Probably won’t see it until. April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 09:23:57 AM »
I have the Poor Boys Ceramic coating on order through a local shop. Probably won’t see it until. April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looked like Jason is jumping on it too.  Looks like it's initially going to be a hit for Poorboys.  It will be interesting to see how it sells long term since their market has always been geared towards high quality but relatively inexpensive.  A lot of Poorboys users are big fans of his Natty's line and tons of layering.  This is a big step in a different direction and hopefully they can grab a piece of the pie they've otherwise been missing and ultimately must have been losing out on customers for their other products because of not offering one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

IMG_5154.JPG

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal