March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 2015 Mercedes S550  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
2015 Mercedes S550
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »
Tom’s been a busy boy. Here’s another detail I finished up this past week since I have some time on my hands. It’s a beautiful 2015 Mercedes Benz S550 in one of my favorite colors – pearl white. The car has about 65,000 miles on it and that includes a full complement of Rochester winters. The before pictures look pretty average for a car in need of a full detail. It was dirty, but not horrible. The brand new (4 months ago) BBS alloy wheels looked kind of average and the paint looked tired and dull. Time for a wash to see what I really had on my hands.

Surprise, surprise, things were worse than I thought. The big issue (once again) was iron contamination. On this car though, I was able to get some decent pictures of it. Everything behind the front wheels was covered in iron spots. The first two pics are just behind the right front wheel well. Just to prove how pervasive it was, the third shot is actually the back part of the roof above the rear window. Oh boy, this is going to take some work.

The basic process was as follows:
-   Wash with Poor Boy’s Slick & Suds and microfiber mitts
-   Clean wheel wells & tires with APC
-   Clean wheels and brake calipers with Poor Boy’s Spray and Rinse
-   Remove iron contamination with Nanoskin (fine) mitt using Meguiar’s Detail Spray for lubricant
-   First stage polish with the Flex using Meguiar’s M101 on a White Lake Country pad
-   Second stage polish using Meguiar’s M205 on a White LC pad
-   50/50 isopropyl alcohol & water wipe down
-   Apply Jescar Power Lock with a foam applicator
-   Polish chrome with Mother’s Chrome Polish
-   Vacuum interior with 2 different vacuums
-   Clean floor mats with APC
-   Clean windows with Stoner’s Invisible Glass
-   Clean leather with Lexol Leather Cleaner
-   Condition leather with Lexol Leather Conditioner
-   Dress floor mats with Poor Boy’s Natural Look Dressing
-   Dress vinyl interior bits with Natural Look Dressing
-   Dress tires with Meguiar’s Hot Shine Tire Dressing

The exterior alone took the better part of a day. Just getting the iron contamination off took almost 2 hours. And yes, if you’re wondering, removing it did induce some minor marring that I polished out later. The interior took about 3 hours the next day. Here’s what it looked like just before I returned it. Note how much better the BBS wheels looked. In fact, they were downright sexy now! And as for the iron contamination, check out the shot of the right front fender and door!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: 2015 Mercedes S550
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
Wow! I am a big fan of those cars, so fun to cruise in.

Awesome work as to be expected, but I may have missed something...why not use a iron remover? They work so well and reduce the effort over claying.

Do you just not have any or trying to keep those arms buff looking for the misses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 06:58:06 AM »

Awesome work as to be expected, but I may have missed something...why not use a iron remover? They work so well and reduce the effort over claying.

Do you just not have any or trying to keep those arms buff looking for the misses?

Yes, good point on the Iron Remover. I would have used one except for two things. First, I don't have any. Second, I don't have any because my wife hates the way they smell. So, back to the mitt or clay.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »

Yes, good point on the Iron Remover. I would have used one except for two things. First, I don't have any. Second, I don't have any because my wife hates the way they smell. So, back to the mitt or clay.
Wait, so is this her car? 

The smell fades.  It doesn't stick around long in my experience.  Limited experience I should note. 

It looks amazing.  Nice work as usual.  Those wheels didnt really speak to me until they were cleaned.  Pretty sharp. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »

Wait, so is this her car? 

The smell fades.  It doesn't stick around long in my experience.  Limited experience I should note. 

It looks amazing.  Nice work as usual.  Those wheels didnt really speak to me until they were cleaned.  Pretty sharp. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No, it's not Stella's car. She sure would love one like it though! I told her she can have one, but I need to die first and then she can buy one. Then she got this weird look in her eyes ...

I had a bottle of Iron X in my detailing stash - double wrapped in plastic - when Stella moved in. She couldn't stand the smell and eventually figured out exactly where it came from. Yea, it was gone the next day. Can I buy another bottle and keep it at your house?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
So did MB do away with the CeramiClear by 2015 ?
- I forget the preamble / suffix to the paint code to ID it.

Looks great, I was asking if it was bad enough defects that it took a while with M101  on a white.
- BTW : after these last 2 details, I went and ordered 105 & 205 again with my supply order last week...Thanks for that

On the Stella incident, do you keep your supplies in the house or did she find it in the garage ?
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
So did MB do away with the CeramiClear by 2015 ?
- I forget the preamble / suffix to the paint code to ID it.

Looks great, I was asking if it was bad enough defects that it took a while with M101  on a white.
- BTW : after these last 2 details, I went and ordered 105 & 205 again with my supply order last week...Thanks for that

On the Stella incident, do you keep your supplies in the house or did she find it in the garage ?
Steve,

I'm pretty sure this one didn't have the ceramic clear on it because I didn't need a jack hammer.

As for Stella, my stash is in the basement - apparently too close to the laundry room.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »
Steve,

I'm pretty sure this one didn't have the ceramic clear on it because I didn't need a jack hammer.

As for Stella, my stash is in the basement - apparently too close to the laundry room.

I don't know if PPG CeramiClear ever took off similar to the infinity self repairing clear.

Time for a used food saver to seal up products when stored in the basement.
- I am spoiled with the heated garage that never drops below 35...
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 06:16:28 AM »
I went and ordered 105 & 205 again with my supply order last week...

Steve, are you still using M105? The reason I ask is that I gave up on it and went to the M101 a while back. It's much more user friendly and doesn't dust at all.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
I went and ordered 105 & 205 again with my supply order last week...

Steve, are you still using M105? The reason I ask is that I gave up on it and went to the M101 a while back. It's much more user friendly and doesn't dust at all.

Ooopss.  I ordered 105, mistake time for me.
I have not used Megs products in some years as I have been on an OPT kick using hyper pair for the past few years. There was some menzerna here and there some year back.  I think that was the test on solid surface some years back...

Steve

* Recent Photos

Mess

Views: 1
By: Olamon21

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal