1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Went riding today  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Went riding today
« on: May 11, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »
We got invites riding today.  Somewhere I haven't been in 5 years or so.  It wasn't my type of riding but I enjoyed myself.  Too many dirt bikes in the group and all they wanted to do was hill climbs.  It was crazy dusty too.  Couple videos and pics.  I wanted to take more pictures but I didn't know a single person outside of Cassie. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Re: Went riding today
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
I did one sketchy hill climb.  It wasn't a bad hill but it was on the very edge of the hill so if it went wrong you would shoot off the side.  Haha. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
Didn't feel it was necessary to start a new thread.

I lifted the SxS this week.  Not for more ground clearance but because when I put the big tires on, I adjusted the suspension for more clearance and it really stiffened the ride up.  So I put the lift on so I could back the adjustments back down.  I removed about an inch of compression from the springs which lowers the overall height.  So I lifted it two inches and adjusted an inch back out of it.  The ride is way better now.  The lift is just some heavy duty brackets that relocate the top of the shock.  Works well. 

Took it out today.  I managed to lay it on it's side and then shortly after I punctured the tire.  There are now 5 plugs in the tire but it's holding air. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 12:59:01 AM »
Now that looks like fun! Way to wreck a new tire, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:31:30 AM »
Now that looks like fun! Way to wreck a new tire, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First time I put it on it's side.  Cassie's side, too.  Apparently she said we need harnesses now.  Haha

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 10:25:14 AM »
First time I put it on it's side.  Cassie's side, too.  Apparently she said we need harnesses now.  Haha

[/quote]

Why, you look pretty comfy with with the lap shoulder combo with your right arm on the bar over the  passenger seat in the picture above. :redneck:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »

Why, you look pretty comfy with with the lap shoulder combo with your right arm on the bar over the  passenger seat in the picture above. :redneck:
[/quote]

Figured I'd make myself comfortable while I was in there.

Bad news is the tire didn't hold air over the week.  Tire shop won't touch it.  Basically brand new tire that's shot now.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
Yeah, there is no way any legit tire shop would try and patch that. Just too big of a cut and in a bad spot.

crappy deal man!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
Yeah I was hoping being a low pressure, off- highway vehicle, it wouldn't be a problem.  Might eventually have it patched as a spare. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
Maybe try a patch & glue on the inside with it off the wheel ??

I don't know how big that is, but I have plugged some good size holes with the Stop-n-Go mushroom plugs.
I did one on a HD on the side of the road, I had everything in the bags on the ZG.  The guy about swallowed his teeth when I pulled out everything.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »
Maybe try a patch & glue on the inside with it off the wheel ??

I don't know how big that is, but I have plugged some good size holes with the Stop-n-Go mushroom plugs.
I did one on a HD on the side of the road, I had everything in the bags on the ZG.  The guy about swallowed his teeth when I pulled out everything.
I actually bought everything to do the job about an hour ago.  Going to give it a whirl.  Worst case it becomes a spare.  I'm supposed to go riding next weekend so we will see what happens.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »
Awesome stuff. It should still be good for a spare, but honestly I wouldn't put in regular rotation. Where that cut is, is where the tire flexes a lot. A patch will only last so long and likely leave you stranded eventually.

But, having said that, I've done some sketchy ATV tire plugging and patching that has held up for a whole season.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 05:55:04 AM »
Eh, I'm going to patch it and ride it til it comes apart.  It's not a 4000-6000lb full size vehicle.  The tires don't compress under it's own weight the same way.  It won't be aired down to single digit numbers.  I'm reading from a lot people with first hand experience that I should be good to go.  Some say even run the plugs with some glue and melt them down for a better seal.  Haha.  I'm not looking forward to popping the beads.  I ordered the stuff from Amazon so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday I can get to it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
So, learned an obvious lesson today.  With pictures.  Haha.  Don't use a 3 ton Jack to lift a 7000+ lb truck.  There's reasons for weight limit.  It's not necessarily the hydraulic components. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 02:43:37 PM »
Well I'm making progress.  Not sure how I am going to get the machine off the jack stand when this is all finished though without a jack. 

Took me two hours to get to this point.  I got smart near the end.  I almost gave up though and went to a tire shop.  First I tried a huge c clamp.  Then, after mangling the jack trying to lift the truck high enough to set it down on the sidewall to break the bead, I attempted just driving over it.  No dice.  Trying boards and an ATV but it wasn't heavy enough.  Finally one side just broke.  Almost effortlessly.  On to the other side.  Tried the truck again.  No dice.  One last ditch effort.  The tractor with the plow and downward pressure.  Boom. 

Now apparently Amazon delivered everything except the glue today for the patch.  So I cant proceed until tomorrow. 

* Recent Photos

IMG_6191.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal