April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 2013 Scion tC  (Read 10280 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
2013 Scion tC
« on: March 25, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
Well, I (finally) go back to work after my annual winter layoff a week from today. Before I go back, I had a few things to take care of. Detailing my son’s new (to him) 2013 Scion tC was right on the top of my list as soon as it got warm enough and most of the snow and salt were gone. So yesterday we went down to the marina (which was closed so nobody bothered us) and did a full detail on the car in a nice, warm shop.

The car is a 2013 that we bought this past winter from a local dealership. It’s got 90,000 miles on it and although it was dealer maintained and female owned, it’s got a few minor warts on it that we wanted to minimize as much as possible. How do I know it was female owned? (The salesman asked me that too.) The fingernail scratches under the door handles were a dead give-away.   

We started with a full wash and all of the usual prep / decontamination work. The only thing I got to somehow skip was masking. This is the first car I’ve detailed in a long time that just didn’t require any blue tape to protect black textured plastic. The other weird thing was the amount of Clear Bra on the car. The hood, grill, front fenders, mirrors, rocker panel extensions and the top of the rear spoiler were all covered. I’ve never seen that much protection on one car.

I started out with Meg’s M101 on a white LC pad on the Flex to get most of the nasty stuff corrected on the painted surfaces only. Next, I went to Meg’s 205 on a white LC pad on the paint. Finally, I went to Meq’s 205 on a green LC pad at speed 3 on the Flex on all of the areas with Clear Bra. For the LSP we used Optimum Gloss Coat. We polished the new Borla stainless axle back exhaust with Jason’s Metal Rx and used Menzerna Power Lock on the wheels. (These wheels are coming off in about 2 weeks to be replaced with a really neat set of gold colored alloys with some seriously wide Continentals so we didn’t go crazy.) The tires and wheel wells got Meg’s Hyper Dressing.

Although I didn’t grab any “before” shots because I’m old and stupid, I did manage to remember to grab some after” shots. See if you think I still have it.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:40:42 AM by Too Stroked »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 2013 Scion tC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »
I'm just here for the pictures as I take a few minutes away from the chainsaw. 

That looks amazing.  When I glanced at the topic and saw Scion, I knew this was a Tom thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:53:28 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
I'm back.  I'm studying these pictures and I just can't find anything wrong.  I do have to ask about those blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors.  Those are pretty serious. 

Seriously though, the car looks fantastic.  Very nice work.  How did the door handle area come out?

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »
I'm back.  I'm studying these pictures and I just can't find anything wrong.  I do have to ask about those blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors.  Those are pretty serious. 

Seriously though, the car looks fantastic.  Very nice work.  How did the door handle area come out?

Thanks Mike. Brandon is so proud of that car. As for the door handles, I had to do the area under the handles by hand and the scratches were pretty deep. That said, I didn't even try to get everything out. They look much better though.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:09:09 AM »
Like Mike, I am just driving by but holy hell that thing looks liquid wet AF.   

I need to find a pillow but will post in this one again......amazing paint.   Those reflectors are worthy
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »
Looks really good! I can't provide a full critique until I see direct sun shots :nana:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
Looks really good! I can't provide a full critique until I see direct sun shots :nana:

Yea, I know. The sun was hiding pretty well by the time we finished up. Trust me when I say that although it still has a few warts, it looks a hell of a lot better! As for shots in the sun, hopefully I'll be able to grab some when we put the new wheels & tires on it in a few weeks. We're just waiting for Mother Nature to throw one last storm at us.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »
Is the LC Green pad between LC white & LC Black ?

I would not have thought to do that to vinyl wrap applied to paint.
- Just the thought if something went sideways with it scares me.

Great job on the car.

I have to do my write up with the new Makita delectable DA / direct drive.
I have been testing in doing panels on the Nav.

BTW: It is getting to detail season, everyone keep in mind if you want to test a Rupes.  The one I got suckered into buying is still in the basement in the box after trying it a few times.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »
Is the LC Green pad between LC white & LC Black ?

I would not have thought to do that to vinyl wrap applied to paint.
- Just the thought if something went sideways with it scares me.

Great job on the car.

I have to do my write up with the new Makita delectable DA / direct drive.
I have been testing in doing panels on the Nav.

BTW: It is getting to detail season, everyone keep in mind if you want to test a Rupes.  The one I got suckered into buying is still in the basement in the box after trying it a few times.

Steve,

Yes, the green pad is really soft. In fact it's the softest thing I have. That, reduced speed and pressure along with a very mild polish was about as aggressive as I dared get. I could have just done nothing except apply the Optimum Gloss Coat, but I just felt I needed to so some sort of surface prep.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
While I was at work today, Brandon slapped his new wheels & tires on the tC. He came back after I got home to show them off. I know there's no spluge in the wheel wells, but the car looked pretty darn good to me. Unfortunately, the pictures just don't do justice to how wide the (255) tires really are. In person though, the car looks really good. Now we just have to lower it about an inch …

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
Looks sharp!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 06:38:07 AM »
Bold choice.  I can't say that's the route I would have went but to each their own and it really doesn't look bad. I have a hard time with newer trends and tend to go with more classic looks.  I've just recently started to really like the bronze look in the last few years. 

Now send the car up to Ryan.  Maybe he'll get on a roll of spending money and swap in a built ecoboost.  Probably wouldn't even notice it on his account statements anymore.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »
Bold choice.  I can't say that's the route I would have went but to each their own and it really doesn't look bad. I have a hard time with newer trends and tend to go with more classic looks.  I've just recently started to really like the bronze look in the last few years. 

Now send the car up to Ryan.  Maybe he'll get on a roll of spending money and swap in a built ecoboost.  Probably wouldn't even notice it on his account statements anymore.

Personally, I'm over joyed that he didn't go with black wheels.  :om:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:00 AM »

Personally, I'm over joyed that he didn't go with black wheels.  :om:
Now that I can get on board with for sure.  There is a time and a place for black wheels.  Unfortunately the flood of black wheels has made me dislike black wheels even if they are the right choice.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »
Now that I can get on board with for sure.  There is a time and a place for black wheels.  Unfortunately the flood of black wheels has made me dislike black wheels even if they are the right choice.

I must be getting old ( some how passing Tom ), the color of the factory wheel looked pretty good to me.
- I was never that happy with the gold-ish tone of the Lariat wheels on my 2006 and was always looking for a set of take offs.

Must be from growing up around chrome Cragar wheels, but wheel should be in the silver tones in my book.
- Black always reminds me of the spare out of the trunk.. When they used to put spares in cars.
Steve

* Recent Photos

DSC_0045.JPG

Views: 2
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal