1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: New Work bench area  (Read 14345 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: New Work bench area
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
What is the square footage of your garage and how high are the ceilings?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I dont know actually.  I think we are 10 ft maybe 12 ft.  Its an odd 3 car oversized.  Our GC was here today and we are talking about additional garage in 2 years. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have a small torpedo heater like the one you have.  It helps but it's colder here than where you are.  It's just a pole barn so no insulation, very high ceiling, and it's about 1100 square feet. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »

I dont know actually.  I think we are 10 ft maybe 12 ft.  Its an odd 3 car oversized.  Our GC was here today and we are talking about additional garage in 2 years. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have a small torpedo heater like the one you have.  It helps but it's colder here than where you are.  It's just a pole barn so no insulation, very high ceiling, and it's about 1100 square feet. 

I have pretty much the same problem as you - except my 2 car garage isn't nearly as tall as your pole barn. But with the roof venting, any heat one tries to pump out at floor level pretty much goes straight up through the roof. Man would I kill for a heated garage!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:04:54 AM by Too Stroked »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
I have pretty much the same problem as you - except my 2 car garage isn't nearly as tall as you pole barn. But with the roof venting, any heat one tries to pump out at floor level pretty much goes straight up through the roof. Man would I kill for a heated garage!

My sister had the same garage as you but attached to the house. ( it was a 2 car + ).
In 2009 I went up there and insulated the walls and ceiling and plywood sheeted the whole thing.

We added a 220V heater, like I have in my garage, and now she can heat her garage in Sheboygan WI to 65 in no time flat.

Electric was ~ 1.5 days.  New 3/4" pipe run from panel in basement to garage for heater, new outlet circuits and more lighting ( 1 220 V 20A circuit & 4 20 A circuits ).
Insulation & sheeting and remounting the old kitchen cabinets & shelves back over the plywood was ~ 1.5 days. 
We used plywood so she did not have to play the find a stud in drywall if she wanted to hang up a shovel or another shelf.

She caulked the corners, primed & painted the walls & ceiling white.

It was not bad, we thought about just doing the ceiling, but that is where the heater came into play which added doing the walls.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »
The cost of heating the garage isn't worth it to me.  The little torpedo heater does enough for the little bit of work I do in the garage in the winter.  If I was detailing more it'd be another story but then I have to have an entire road just to be able to get to the main road and still be clean.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:35 AM »
The cost of heating the garage isn't worth it to me.  The little torpedo heater does enough for the little bit of work I do in the garage in the winter.  If I was detailing more it'd be another story but then I have to have an entire road just to be able to get to the main road and still be clean.

If you don't mind me asking, what powers your heater? I've seen those using propane and kerosene.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, what powers your heater? I've seen those using propane and kerosene.

Kerosene.  My dad just offered me some overhead propane infrared heaters out of their old shop at work but I dont think I want them.  The garage just requires too much work and money to get it ready to really retain the heat. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »

According to my appraisal docs, it shows the garage at 903.49 sq ft.   

24.5 × 23.3 = 569.7
12.5 × 26.4 = 330.9
11.5 × 0.2 = 2.8

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 01:33:07 PM »

24.5 × 23.3 = 569.7
12.5 × 26.4 = 330.9
11.5 × 0.2 = 2.8
So roughly the size of your guest bedroom's walk in closet.  Got it.  Sorry.  I can't resist.

Do the temps usually sit around the same temps as outside.  I imagine it's a bit warmer than outside to begin with. 

I have a wood brining stove just sitting in the garage.  Need all the expensive piping to install it but I dont want to do it and find it's still not really enough.  It's also taking up space that I could be using.  It's tough so as it is to get the truck, Cassie's Outback, both four wheelers, the SxS, two riding mowers and the push mower in there.  Among the other odds and ends... Cabinets and shelves and the refrigerator. 

Actually everything in the refrigerator tends to freeze in the winter.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »

24.5 × 23.3 = 569.7
12.5 × 26.4 = 330.9
11.5 × 0.2 = 2.8
So roughly the size of your guest bedroom's walk in closet.  Got it.  Sorry.  I can't resist.

Do the temps usually sit around the same temps as outside.  I imagine it's a bit warmer than outside to begin with. 

I have a wood brining stove just sitting in the garage.  Need all the expensive piping to install it but I dont want to do it and find it's still not really enough.  It's also taking up space that I could be using.  It's tough so as it is to get the truck, Cassie's Outback, both four wheelers, the SxS, two riding mowers and the push mower in there.  Among the other odds and ends... Cabinets and shelves and the refrigerator. 

Actually everything in the refrigerator tends to freeze in the winter.

Since this is attached to the house it does tend to be different than my prior house with out detached garage.  Plus our garage doors have insulation built in them, but I know it is a lower R number.   When it was 25 outside this prior week, it was 54 in in the garage and I got it up to temp pretty quickly with that forced air heater.   My buddy's 60X60 barn has a potbelly wood heater in it, it damn near heats the entire barn. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »
Kerosene.  My dad just offered me some overhead propane infrared heaters out of their old shop at work but I dont think I want them.  The garage just requires too much work and money to get it ready to really retain the heat. 

I thought the infrared heaters heated objects not air ??
- It would heat the vehicles, tool boxes, etc..
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »

I never heard that before.  You could be right.  One way or another it's going to heat the garage though.  I have seen other shops like your typical brake and oil change shops use similar setups.  I wouldn't mind the tool box being heated though.  Cold tools suck.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:46:49 PM by Kitzy »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »

I never heard that before.  You could be right.  One way or another it's going to heat the garage though.  I have seen other shops like your typical brake and oil change shops use similar setups.  I wouldn't mind the tool box being heated though.  Cold tools suck.

The brake and oil change shops or body shops use infrared as they are opening doors and changing vehicles and they cannot have the loss that would happen with forced air. 
Bringing in that cold vehicle is quicker recovery inside as the floor and objects did not give up all the heat from opening the door and the IR heater is working on the cold vehicle directly not trying to blow warm air at it.  The floor under it being warm also helps ( along with the metal lifts ).
- Body shops also use infrared to have no dust blowing around from a forced air furnace.

My forced air electric heater when I open the door, whoosh heat all gone and start over. 
The floor never really gets warmer and to get operational temperature to do correction I am heating from the ceiling down so it takes time.  Something I would never try with a 20* car.
- Mom's convertible a few years back was in there for a few days and never left until done.

If you have the option still, you should pick up that IR heater and tarp it in the back of the shop for now.

You can get away with the pole barn insulated panels on the ceiling, you don't need to sheet the whole thing. 
Check what you need between the IR heater and the insulation panels ( the black paper fire rated drywall fire taped ? ). 
Walls you can insulate and vapor barrier and just sheet where you want to, and you would all set.

You might not be doing weekly details in the shop, but you will call and thank dad profusely if you ever have to work on the car / truck or the tractor needs something while doing snow removal in the middle of the winter.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 12:02:28 AM »
Steve,

You got a photo of your heaters?   I was looking at some IR heaters for our balcony.   

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 12:56:23 AM »
I sure do love having our garage heated. Like Steve says though, open the door and it's all gone, lol. But, I did find that it still recovers pretty quick. For just regular day-to-day, I keep the T-Stat @ 45*. Pretty easy to bring it up to 65* when I'm working in there.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »
Steve,

You got a photo of your heaters?   I was looking at some IR heaters for our balcony.

I have a forced air unit.  Not as nice as the Reznor unit  :wow:
Steve

* Recent Photos

Forum jpg.jpg

Views: 4
By: Robby32

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal