1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
It’s been a while since anybody posted up a full detail here and I just happened to have a need to detail something, so why not break the logjam?

First, a little history on the truck I detailed. It’s a 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 with just under 30,000 miles on it and it’s the truck I pretty much live in while I’m working. As the Boatyard Manager for a large marina here in upstate New York, I just finished storing 445 boats between our marina on beautiful Canandaigua Lake and our Storage facility 3 miles away. This truck is a vital element in moving boats between those properties.

One of the big problems we ran into this fall was rain – lots of rain. It didn’t come down in buckets, but it came down way too often. This near constant rain turned our storage yard into a muddy mess. I got the Chevy stuck on at least 3 occasions and one of them required me to grab the Bobcat 5610 I keep at the yard to pull the truck out. You want to talk about muddy mess! And this mud covered both the outside and inside of the Chevy. Given the number of boats I was moving, the only “washing” the truck received for the last two months was from a pressure washer until last week when I ran it through a local car wash. (They were not thrilled.)

So, I started with a much cleaner truck than it had been for the last two months, but it still wasn’t pretty. I had one of the guys give it a quick pressure wash and leave it inside over the weekend for me to work on today. I started well before the sun came up, so pardon the “before” pictures because they truly don’t do any justice to how sad the paint was. The interior pictures on the other hand clearly show what I was up against. 

I started with a full hand wash where I swear I could hear the truck letting out a huge sigh of relief.

That was followed by clay and blue painter’s tape to get ready for some serious correction / polishing.

My first correction pass used an Orange LC pad on my Flex with Mequire’s M101. That was followed with M205 on a White LC pad. For the LSP I went with Dr. Beasley’s Nano-Resin Hydrophobic Coating because the truck takes a beating and I wanted something to last through the whole winter where the truck is used to plow the property. For the chrome, I used Mother’s Chrome Polish. I gave the tires a quick shot of Hyperdressing, but didn’t do the wheel wells because I’m going to take it right back out in the mud tomorrow. For the interior, I used APC to clean it, then Poor Boy’s Natural Look Dressing to finish it off. Here’s what it looked like after 6 hours of work:

Although the white paint on the truck presented the usual problems in trying to get anything to actually show up in pictures, I can assure you that everybody at the marina was thrilled with how well the truck turned out. The interior isn’t perfect, but it’s going to get trashed in short order anyways so I wasn’t too worried.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
I'm just here for the pictures right now.  Taking a break from going through stuff in the basement I haven't touched since moving in two years ago.  Including detailing supplies getting organized. 

I got worried for a second.  I started reading the name on the truck and though "Great... Canada.  This will be another thread where nothing gets completed." Buy then I kept reading and remembered the name of the next lake on my list to visit in the Finger Lakes region. 

Anyway, enough cheap shots at our crok wearing northern friends.  The pictures look great.  That hood shot looks amazing.  I'll have you know that I came this close (fingers almost touching) to going through the car wash this morning.

Looking forward to reading the write up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
6 hours....whoa that is going really fast, I guess that explains why you opted for the Orange LC pad...or was this an orange Hydro LC pad?   

Gloss shots look great.   all are pretty shameless especially the show with "Bennington" on the tail gate.   I like those Regals myself.   

Nice post and nice detail Tom, sorry you spent more time posting than you did detailing.    :uugly:

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »
6 hours....whoa that is going really fast, I guess that explains why you opted for the Orange LC pad...or was this an orange Hydro LC pad?   

Standard Orange Lake Country pad.  You know me, Mr. old school.

As for only taking 6 hours, remember, it's a work truck and not a true customer vehicle. I wasn't going for 100% perfection.  It was also technically a freebie.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »

Standard Orange Lake Country pad.  You know me, Mr. old school.

As for only taking 6 hours, remember, it's a work truck and not a true customer vehicle. I wasn't going for 100% perfection.  It was also technically a freebie.

No sir, I get it but I haven't broken out that pad in a long time.   Thinking about it, I no longer have any original orange lakes.  Hmmm
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:02:23 PM »
Holy Man!!!  A DETAIL!!!

Looks pretty great Tom, how did you find the coating?

I'm looking forward to a pic with the plow on the front.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »
Holy Man!!!  A DETAIL!!!

Funny you should ask about the Dr. Beasley's Nano Coat LSP. I'd bought it last year and used it on my Tacoma. It goes on and comes off relatively easily. But I wasn't terribly impressed with its ability to shrug off dirt, so I relegated it to the back shelf. I've been using C.A.R. Bullet Proof on customer cars as of late and am more impressed with it. I currently have Optimum Gloss Coat on the Tacoma and like that even more.

As for a pic of the truck with the plow on it, it's just a 7'6" Western straight blade which I think is way too small for a truck that size. (But nobody asked me when the spec'd the truck out.) And we only use the pickup to plow the gravel parking lot at the storage yard. We use an 8' straight blade on the Bobcat 5600's with a rubber cutting edge to do the marina. One can get a hell of a lot more surgical with that combination due to the increased visibility in the Bobcat.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
No sir, I get it but I haven't broken out that pad in a long time.   Thinking about it, I no longer have any original orange lakes.  Hmmm

I tore up an orange pad on the roof and back sections of the nav doing defect removal for the OPT Gloss Coat application.  I used GG Fast Correcting Cream for the product.  On severe defect paint, Orange is what I usually go to with the Flex on 6.
- The previous owner treated this vehicle like a heroin addict treats their central nervous system.

After the Orange pad I shifted to fast correcting cream on the GG microfiber polishing pad.  It is similar to the LC MF polishing pad, but has a thicker base.
- OPT MF pads are hard to come by, Detailed Image stopped carrying them when the LCs came out.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
Holy Man!!!  A DETAIL!!!

Funny you should ask about the Dr. Beasley's Nano Coat LSP. I'd bought it last year and used it on my Tacoma. It goes on and comes off relatively easily. But I wasn't terribly impressed with its ability to shrug off dirt, so I relegated it to the back shelf. I've been using C.A.R. Bullet Proof on customer cars as of late and am more impressed with it. I currently have Optimum Gloss Coat on the Tacoma and like that even more.

As for a pic of the truck with the plow on it, it's just a 7'6" Western straight blade which I think is way too small for a truck that size. (But nobody asked me when the spec'd the truck out.) And we only use the pickup to plow the gravel parking lot at the storage yard. We use an 8' straight blade on the Bobcat 5600's with a rubber cutting edge to do the marina. One can get a hell of a lot more surgical with that combination due to the increased visibility in the Bobcat.

Thanks for the feedback. I have Gloss Coat, C.A.R and Dr. Beasley's here and think I'm going to do my truck with the Gloss Coat. I did like the C.A.R coating, but even after 3 coats, I found that it didn't last longer than 6 months, then shed water less easily.

I sure remember the days of slow clearing, don't miss it one bit!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

rr

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal