April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Coatings - On a cell phone  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Coatings - On a cell phone
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:57:33 AM »
Went in to the Verizon store the other day for a screen protector for Verizon.  I hate putting them on because you almost need a complete clean room... And I have dogs.  So the guy tells us what he has on his phone and how it bonds to the glass and becomes one with the glass.  He then throws his phone across the floor to prove the point.  Cassie is sold.  She asks him to put it on so she doesn't mess it up.  It comes in a tiny jar.  You pour it on the screen and spread it around.  Let it sit for a few moments and buff it off.  They even make a special product to fix any scratches if they do occur.  Basically a polish.  I found this interesting that the coatings have expanded to cell phones.  Maybe a little different but basically the same. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Coatings - On a cell phone
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
I have seen that stuff too....so which one did she get ?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
Phone or screen protector?  We both got Pixel 3 XLs.  I have no idea what the screen protector was called.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
I don't know if OPT gloss coat would do much for the scratch resistance part, but it sounds like the same type product with a quicker flash time.

The slide across the room stunt, did they try it with an old phone with no screen protector to show it would scratch ?
I have a low profile supcase on my phone that won't let the screen touch the floor if I did that trick.
- How dirty was the store floor is the other question..

This sounds like the blue blocker sunglasses stand in the parking lot where they have you try 2 pairs of sunglasses against 2 towels to demonstrate how the blue blockers they sell show true color.
Thing is the test "normal" sunglasses they hand you are designed to make both towels look the same color. 
If you use your standard UV safety glasses ( 4.50 / pr ) the towels are 2 different colors like the special blue blocker sunglasses.  Act now and they will give you a 4th pair free if you buy 3 ( for 2x what Amazon charges for each pair )

Store applied liquid screen protector and store applied water resistance phone coating are the new up-sell items.  Amazon & eBay ate VZW & ATTs lunch on the case & accessories segments for phones; so they had to go for something new.

Sorry to be debbie downer again ( 2nd time this month ) I just recall the upsell process when I briefly worked in a quick oil change place freshman year of college. 
We got paid more per hour ( for all hours on the clock ) based on the add on percentages of the tickets. 
I recall a few weeks making 6.00/hr when min wage was 3.35 back in the mid 80s due to 80% upsell percentages  It did not pay as well when I finished my truck license process and worked as a Teamster, but it was a priceless education in being up sold add ons.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Phone or screen protector?  We both got Pixel 3 XLs.  I have no idea what the screen protector was called.

The screen protector..... :uugly:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

The screen protector..... :uugly:
This is the "screen protector."

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
I don't know if OPT gloss coat would do much for the scratch resistance part, but it sounds like the same type product with a quicker flash time.

The slide across the room stunt, did they try it with an old phone with no screen protector to show it would scratch ?
I have a low profile supcase on my phone that won't let the screen touch the floor if I did that trick.
- How dirty was the store floor is the other question..

This sounds like the blue blocker sunglasses stand in the parking lot where they have you try 2 pairs of sunglasses against 2 towels to demonstrate how the blue blockers they sell show true color.
Thing is the test "normal" sunglasses they hand you are designed to make both towels look the same color. 
If you use your standard UV safety glasses ( 4.50 / pr ) the towels are 2 different colors like the special blue blocker sunglasses.  Act now and they will give you a 4th pair free if you buy 3 ( for 2x what Amazon charges for each pair )

Store applied liquid screen protector and store applied water resistance phone coating are the new up-sell items.  Amazon & eBay ate VZW & ATTs lunch on the case & accessories segments for phones; so they had to go for something new.

Sorry to be debbie downer again ( 2nd time this month ) I just recall the upsell process when I briefly worked in a quick oil change place freshman year of college. 
We got paid more per hour ( for all hours on the clock ) based on the add on percentages of the tickets. 
I recall a few weeks making 6.00/hr when min wage was 3.35 back in the mid 80s due to 80% upsell percentages  It did not pay as well when I finished my truck license process and worked as a Teamster, but it was a priceless education in being up sold add ons.
I wasn't overly impressed by his throwing of his phone.  I've done much worse to my phone by accident with zero damage occuring.  Like you pointed out, the bevel around the edges of the phone do more than most screen protectors as far as normal scratches. This product does state a 48 hour cure time though it is ready to use and doesn't hinder visibility immediately.  It would have to be.  No one is willing to go that long without a phone in this day and age.

I just outright called it what it was, a ceramic like coating.  He agreed.  I compared it to paint coatings.  Again he agreed.  He then gave me a story about how he has a detailer friend who coated a phone for them to compare.  It said it did ok but not as good.  He didn't elaborate on that though.  He said they threw it up to the roof or roof height about 4 times and it was ok. 

For what it's worth, I had a Supcase Unicorn Beetle case on one of the my old phones.  Great case.  I now have a Zizo Bolt.  Long story short, Cassie is rocking my Zizo while I have her purple crap case because oddly enough her case doesn't work on her phone but works on mine.  The Bolt seemed nice for the one day I had it.  The provided screen protector leaves a lot to be desired as far as clearness. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:06:33 AM by Kitzy »

* Recent Photos

Views: 5
By: 70 tt rustang

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal