1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: So this happened today.  (Read 18229 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: So this happened today.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
...<snip>...less than 10 feet from us. Stuck the nose cone right into the ice. Yea, that was smart.

Pretty much lawn darts and that was good fun !!
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 12:41:41 AM »
My older brother and I purpose built a little tiny rocket (about 6" tall) and stuffed a C6-5 rocket motor in it. No parachute mind you. We then went out on the frozen pond (about 1.5 miles long by 1/2 mile wide) in our back yard to launch it. Well. it went up all right. Right out of sight. Knowing that what comes up must come down - even if it went to Mars - we decided to duck and cover. The damn thing came straight down - about 5 minutes later - less than 10 feet from us. Stuck the nose cone right into the ice. Yea, that was smart.
That's pretty hilarious and lucky all at the same time.

You guys are much too sophisticated for me, I messed around with potato guns, not rockets.  :uugly:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 05:07:00 AM »
Kids now a days just don't know the fun.  I remember aiming at birds on power lines with potato guns.  This was in a housing development where I grew up.  Good times! 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
That's pretty hilarious and lucky all at the same time.

You guys are much too sophisticated for me, I messed around with potato guns, not rockets.  :uugly:

The time frame I am talking about, a potato gun would have weighed a ton made out of cast iron pipe.
Around here construction matured as Cast Iron, then Black Plastic waste then PVC in the 80s.
- Mom & dads house was a modern build in 1975 with copper water pipe and black plastic waste pipe.

The closest I ever got to a potato gun was the pringles can ( if you could find someone that did not buy generic chips in a bag), a tennis ball and lighter fluid.  It took 3 people scrounging items to get that together.
- The kid who's dad had lighter fluid always seemed to be a tool that you did not want around.  He would rat everyone out in 5 seconds flat when something went sideways. :redneck:
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
Getting closer.   Assembled.  Painted and now getting decals ready then Launch time.   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 12:40:15 PM »
Getting closer.   Assembled.  Painted and now getting decals ready then Launch time.   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The husband of one of my wife's best friends is into the really big stuff, over 10k feet stuff. 

My son built one of these during scouts, and was part of the world record.  We even recovered his rocket. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xB8mpeQBg
================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
that is cool Gip! 

We are not in the big ones...just trying to find my kids currency vs playing on the computer.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
So we had two launches today.

First with the very light rocket engine, only went about 250 feet...caught it on the way down...

Second flight with the bigger engine...was awesome...8--900 feet or so...but the shock cord busted loose so the rocket fell down the the soft dirt landing (no damage) then Nicholas got to climb a few fences and trespass to find the nose cone and chute. 

Got them back and now he wants to build the next one all by himself. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »

First with the very light rocket engine, only went about 250 feet...caught it on the way down...

Second flight with the bigger engine...was awesome...8--900 feet or so...but the shock cord busted loose so the rocket fell down the the soft dirt landing (no damage) then Nicholas got to climb a few fences and trespass to find the nose cone and chute. 

Very cool!  Love the hopping fences part.  Wait until the disappointment of losing one in a tree or until one just disappears, never to be seen again. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:39 PM »

Very cool!  Love the hopping fences part.  Wait until the disappointment of losing one in a tree or until one just disappears, never to be seen again. 

You mean like some of my stuff? Hell, I hope JP's kid finds mine instead!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »

It's so great when you get one back and the flight goes according to plan.  But you never remember those.  It's the jumping fences and trying to get all your parts back, the ones you never seen again, the ones that don't exactly descend properly and crash in to multiple pieces and need extensive reconditioning... Those are the ones you remember. 

We had one called Big Bertha or something like that.  It reminded me of a traditional red rocket you'd see NASA launch. It came tumbling out of the sky and crashed into a set of aluminum bleachers at the sports field and broke.  Had to repair it but it flew again.  The rain maker was purple and blue and tall.  Ugly as can be.  That's the one that landed in the public pool during off-season.  We had one that looked like a double rocket, side by side cockpit sort of deal.  Had jet like wings that expanded.  That damn thing shot up and had the trajectory of a not so tall rainbow and stuck nose first in the ground like some king of missed out for death. 

I don't remember most of the others.  Just the time spent with my dad.  There werent many of those times.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 01:15:25 AM »

:funny:

We may very find those Tom.....LOL

Will tell you how the next build goes....gonna let my 9 year old build on his own.   I am more worried about fin attachment than anything else. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
Hey Boys

Left Field comment here.

I resigned from my job today.   Took another offer...

Go in to Technology they said.....it will be awesome they said....

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 10:33:14 AM »
Hey Boys

Left Field comment here.

I resigned from my job today.   Took another offer...

Go in to Technology they said.....it will be awesome they said....

More or less travelling?
================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
As long as it's the best thing for you, go for it!

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal