March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: So this happened today.  (Read 17200 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
So this happened today.
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
One for me and one for Nicholas

Picked them up used from a local family looking to get out of RC....got them down to 300 for the pair...saved a ton of money.  Early B Day present for him.

So now you know what is going to happen...they are going to get all cleaned up and a nice coating of Hyperdressing.    Planned to convert them to brushless and already upgraded the batteries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:45:15 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: So this happened today.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
RC's are a ton of fun! BUT, you gotta know when to quit they can put a real hurt on the wallet.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
I absolutely love the idea.  Have never been able to pull the trigger.  Likely never will unfortunately.  Too many other expensive hobbies. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »
I absolutely love the idea.  Have never been able to pull the trigger.  Likely never will unfortunately.  Too many other expensive hobbies. 

Yeah, agree, other things are here but this is a selfish play for me and the kids.  We'll see how long they want to do it.  Trying thigns to get them off technology games and more into hands on stuff.  Break it...fix it.

We are also staring to build model rockets...hands on stuff

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:02:57 AM »

Yeah, agree, other things are here but this is a selfish play for me and the kids.  We'll see how long they want to do it.  Trying thigns to get them off technology games and more into hands on stuff.  Break it...fix it.

We are also staring to build model rockets...hands on stuff
oooo love model rockets.  One of the good memories with my dad. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »
I used to build model rockets. I had a bad habit of cramming rocket motors that were waaaaay too big in some of them. In fact I believe a few of them I launched are still up there - somewhere.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
I used to build model rockets. I had a bad habit of cramming rocket motors that were waaaaay too big in some of them. In fact I believe a few of them I launched are still up there - somewhere.

LOL

I have 2 kits to build with Nicholas..   had to get some extra supplies, using 3400 grit on balsa wood takes longer than I thought.   Turns out you need to take a zero off in order to get that to work....LOL

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
It's getting increasingly harder to find places to fly them here.  Just not enough open land.  We would fly at the sports field next to the public pool.  I remember one fall one came down inside the pool, which was obviously closed for the season.  Watching my mom, of all people, scale the chain link fence to fetch it from the water is actually funnier now than it was back then.  Especially since I was a stick and just squeezed through gate right about the same time she got one leg over the top.

Come hell or high water, when I have a kid, we will do stuff like this.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »

That was the ticket.

Thing is the recovery stage would some times blow the top apart instead of the nose cone off.
- Down comes a fiery mess.

Today is not the cardboard tube ones from the 70s; it has turned pro.

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »

That was the ticket.

Thing is the recovery stage would some times blow the top apart instead of the nose cone off.

I may have been known to pack a small container of flammable liquid in just above the ejection charge. When it blew, things got pretty interesting. Just sayin' ...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

That was the ticket.

I may have been known to pack a small container of flammable liquid in just above the ejection charge. When it blew, things got pretty interesting. Just sayin' ...

That is awesome Tom....we saw 2 stage builds the other day....crazy.  Estes has come a long way in the past 30 years but not really at the same time.   We only got skill 2 and 3 to try first. 

Been getting all the crap we need to get started.   Ugh, this is crazy all the stuff we need. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »

That is awesome. 
We never tried to purposefully have this happen, but should have known better going larger. 
After a few shots some times the nose cone would not come off.

There was also the cases of where it went Apollo 1 on us and lit the field on fire...
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
That is awesome Tom....we saw 2 stage builds the other day....crazy.  Estes has come a long way in the past 30 years but not really at the same time.   We only got skill 2 and 3 to try first. 

Been getting all the crap we need to get started.   Ugh, this is crazy all the stuff we need.

It is light years from 4+ decades ago. 

We did not have the extra 3.25 for the fancy stand after buying a 3 pack of engines, which lead to a duck & cover exercise at times.
-  This was back in the days when lawn darts were considered fun not a weapon..
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »
My older brother and I purpose built a little tiny rocket (about 6" tall) and stuffed a C6-5 rocket motor in it. No parachute mind you. We then went out on the frozen pond (about 1.5 miles long by 1/2 mile wide) in our back yard to launch it. Well. it went up all right. Right out of sight. Knowing that what comes up must come down - even if it went to Mars - we decided to duck and cover. The damn thing came straight down - about 5 minutes later - less than 10 feet from us. Stuck the nose cone right into the ice. Yea, that was smart.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 07:02:37 PM »
My older brother and I purpose built a little tiny rocket (about 6" tall) and stuffed a C6-5 rocket motor in it. No parachute mind you. We then went out on the frozen pond (about 1.5 miles long by 1/2 mile wide) in our back yard to launch it. Well. it went up all right. Right out of sight. Knowing that what comes up must come down - even if it went to Mars - we decided to duck and cover. The damn thing came straight down - about 5 minutes later - less than 10 feet from us. Stuck the nose cone right into the ice. Yea, that was smart.
Reminds me of the movie Grown Ups, with the bow and arrow. 

By the way, lawn darts were awesome, too!

* Recent Photos

013.jpg

Views: 2
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal