March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff  (Read 163240 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
LOL

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #376 on: December 16, 2019, 06:56:11 PM »
Few more.  I had the laptop out to do something so I messed with a few more photos that I hadn't gotten around to before. 

Some are from Maine, just off the coast in Bar Harbour where we stayed.  The mountains behind the town is basically Acadia National Park. Two of the pictures are the same but I wanted to edit one with just Bar Island in color. 

Sunset pictures are from a couple days ago at my house. I looked out the front door and saw bright orange low clouds moving really fast.  Missed the best part and it forced me to go up higher than I should to get these.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
Ok dude, you need to consider going in to business with this thing.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »
Ok dude, you need to consider going in to business with this thing.
Thanks.  I'm never satisfied with any of them.  Even these look grainy to me.  I want a better drone.  Maybe down the road.  I'd like a nice camera, too.  I enjoy hiking and taking pictures but a cell phone just doesn't cut it even though they are impressive for what they are.  Been eyeing a Sony A7r iii.  As I write this stuff out, I realize a trend, I want a lot of expensive things. 

What's nice is now is that you can shoot in RAW on your phone.  Here's a couple from Maine that I really liked.  Don't mind the one of Cassie on the cliff.  I got a little over zealous on the editing and jacked up the water and sky. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #379 on: December 21, 2019, 12:14:44 AM »
You have a pretty darn good eye there Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #380 on: December 21, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »
You have a pretty darn good eye there Mike!

For sure, the one thing you cannot teach in photography is composition.   It's subjective but you have it or you do not. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »
Thanks guys, but I don't think it's anything special   Years ago when I came across the rule of thirds, it changed everything for me.  It all just clicked.  I remember years ago, I bought a Nikon D80 (I think).  I thought, this is it, I'm going to get good pictures now.  I didn't grasp the concept at all.  I definitely didn't realize all of the extra equipment you would need.  I quickly shelved it and never looked at it again.  I think I'm ready now.

Here's a couple others I have sitting on my phone.  Taken and edited on my phone.  Lightroom Mobile is a very handy program now that phones shoot in RAW.

I love the one of my dog in the backyard (guess it's not really a yard) walking on my four wheeler trail.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2019, 01:09:58 AM »
Jesus Christ that are really great shots Mike

OK, I have a lot to throw in here as a "former Professional Photographer" like old school non digital kind of thing (Like dark room print your own prints kind of photographer).....the rule of thirds is still an aspect of composition.  It is really hard to grasp.  The fun part of photography, is seeing other photographers who are naturally gifted in this regard like you are.  Again, it is very difficult to teach, I had professors in college say, some get it, others fake it but you can tell the fakes. 

PPA (Professional Photographers Association) leans heavily on the rule of thirds for portraiture photography....those lines blur outside the studio environment and become subjective of interpretation.   One trick a pro taught me, when looking at a print for the first time, view it upside down and follow where the eye goes....that becomes the location of the focal point in a rule of thirds photo that when seen naturally, you may not see the same focal point.   

These prints are really well done man.   

Too bad you don't shoot Canon.....

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »

OK, I have a lot to throw in here as a "former Professional Photographer" like old school non digital kind of thing (Like dark room print your own prints kind of photographer).....the rule of thirds is still an aspect of composition.  It is really hard to grasp.  The fun part of photography, is seeing other photographers who are naturally gifted in this regard like you are.  Again, it is very difficult to teach, I had professors in college say, some get it, others fake it but you can tell the fakes. 

PPA (Professional Photographers Association) leans heavily on the rule of thirds for portraiture photography....those lines blur outside the studio environment and become subjective of interpretation.   One trick a pro taught me, when looking at a print for the first time, view it upside down and follow where the eye goes....that becomes the location of the focal point in a rule of thirds photo that when seen naturally, you may not see the same focal point.   

I appreciate the words even if I think you're just being a little kind.

I look at the picture with the tractor and all I see is the corner of the house cut off and I wish the tree was a little more in to the frame.  Like why didn't I just take a step back. 

I really want to get out this winter while I have time and hike a bit.  Especially during blue and golden hours.  It gets increasingly frustrating though not having proper equipment.  I hate when I think I nailed the composition and timed a shot perfect and it's not sharp enough or what if I could have slowed the exposure down. 

I'm just delaying the inevitable.  I have things that have to take priority but I will have myself a nice camera.  Be it a Nikon, a Canon or a Sony.  Sony seems to be taking the photography world by storm. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »
No, you have a pretty good eye. I really like this one. It’s now my desktop pic (who needs pics of your kids on your PC anyway ).

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
No, you have a pretty good eye. I really like this one. It’s now my desktop pic (who needs pics of your kids on your PC anyway ).

Well, looks like I've made it.  Haha. Thanks. 

Funny thing about that picture is I was driving.  That was taken through the windshield.   

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »

I appreciate the words even if I think you're just being a little kind.

I look at the picture with the tractor and all I see is the corner of the house cut off and I wish the tree was a little more in to the frame.  Like why didn't I just take a step back. 

I really want to get out this winter while I have time and hike a bit.  Especially during blue and golden hours.  It gets increasingly frustrating though not having proper equipment.  I hate when I think I nailed the composition and timed a shot perfect and it's not sharp enough or what if I could have slowed the exposure down. 

I'm just delaying the inevitable.  I have things that have to take priority but I will have myself a nice camera.  Be it a Nikon, a Canon or a Sony.  Sony seems to be taking the photography world by storm. 

Not just being kind....there is some great things in your shots...composition/framing is good...but your vision is also there.   for me, I work better looking through the lens, I find it very difficult to frame via phone, without cropping and editing etc.  Where I fall short of next level is in post.....editing.  In today's photography, you don't have to be awesome....its only like 40% of the process...the other 60% is spent in post.   That is where I really suffer b.c i was taught differently due to limitations in the dark room and with color correction as in (Y, M, C + Density) .  The core pieces of production.   You have a eye for composition for sure, that is a given.   I find it is very similar to working on paint.    What WE see as OCD buffoons. is not what Joe Schmoe sees.    Same thing in photography....not everyone sees what we see.     

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: January 03, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »
Long story short:

Tried to fly drone, gimbal didn't function properly. Won't roll and won't calibrate so it's a no go...

Next day, fuss with it and after some messing, it seems to function properly.  Pack it up to try another day.

That day comes, same issue.  No go...

Research, think I found the problem.  Order part.

Today, swap part.  What a PITA!!!  Tiny tiny fragile parts.  Oh, and now the gimbal has zero function and no video feed.  Disassemble 50% of it again to check connections... No go. 

I guess I am going to order yet another ribbon cable and a video cable assuming I damaged both in the installation. 

Check out just one of the screws...

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: January 03, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »
You can see the ribbon cable in the background of one photo.  That's the replacement piece.  In the other similar photo you see the gimbal/camera.  That ribbon cable intertwined that gimbal after you take all of the covers off.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:42:25 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #389 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:44 PM »
Man, that doesn’t look like fun at all!

I wish I had a drone today, I think it would have made for some very cool footage.

* Recent Photos

Wheel - Barrel

Views: 2
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal