April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff  (Read 167336 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »

Agreed that one prop could be having an effect but other things lead me to believe there are other issues. I think it's something with my controller.  One thing at a time I guess.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Don't quote me on this but it could be the non calibrated kanutor spring in the fetzer assembly.  You can find it on location C near the control board labeled kanutzen

See, I never even thought to look there.  Clear as stone all along. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
Agreed that one prop could be having an effect but other things lead me to believe there are other issues. I think it's something with my controller.  One thing at a time I guess.

Don't quote me on this but it could be the non calibrated kanutor spring in the fetzer assembly.  You can find it on location C near the control board labeled kanutzen

Finally, a true technical solution!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
I recalibrates the IMU, the compass and the controller.  This time I did that stuff the controller in the bag.  When I do that its so tight that the joysticks get pressed every which wonky way they fit.  So I left it out of the bag.  It flew a lot better.  Seemed to go straight and not off course. 

So I took it to the lake up at the state park about 15 minutes away.  It's supposed to go above freezing today for the first time in a while after a few days of negative temps.  So the lake was still frozen.  Some spots were really clear which was cool.  I look at the drone pics a little later after I go to the gym but here's a couple from my phone.  Check the shadow from my feet. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:12:26 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2019, 08:20:07 PM »
A few shots from today.  I wish I had the Mavic 2.  I want that bigger sensor.  Too much noise in all of the images.  These are this evening flying from the front yard.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »
A few more.

These are from the lake this morning. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »
Here's a short video.  I should've taken one before I changed the props and recalibrated everything to show the difference.  You can tell when I center in on something it stays pretty much right there now.  There was a little breeze.  Nothing major at all. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
Wow, some great shots!

I was poking around and think that the Zoom might be better than the Pro for me. Pro seems to be more capable if you really want to use manual settings and do lots of editing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »
Wow, some great shots!

I was poking around and think that the Zoom might be better than the Pro for me. Pro seems to be more capable if you really want to use manual settings and do lots of editing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I disagree.  So here's my take on it.  Right off the bat, the Pro had a bigger image sensor than the Zoom.  If you don't already know, Jason could probably shed more light on how important that is but I believe it should make it more capable of capturing more detail.  That alone is immediately going to cut down on the post processing side of it.  It takes drastically better low light pictures compared to the Mavic Pro/Platinum which has the same size sensor as the Zoom.  The bigger sensor would make for much better sunsets and sunrises. 

The Zoom has a total of 4x zoom but only 2x of that is optical.  The rest is done is software which always affects the quality.

I don't really understand the Zooms SuperRes feature.  Seems like it's just a panoramic feature.  It just stiches 9 photos together to make a larger one.  I'm sure there's something special about it. Now I have to look in to it. 

The Zoom is cheaper so there's that. 

Interestingly enough though, it looks like you can buy the cameras separately and swap then.  I'm not sure how that works on the software side.  For instance if you have the Pro and you swap to the Zoom, how does it know how to Zoom? 

The Zoom has some weird Dolly Zoom feature.  Basically he background and foreground move independently.  It had a vertigo affect.  That's a no go for me.  I have enough vertigo issues. 

As far as editing... Video is video.  You can't escape editing video unless you just leave full length clips but that will generally be very long and boring.  For photos, I believe you will eventually fall victim to using the manual settings because you can achieve so much more.  That goes for video as well.  Editing photos isn't too bad.  Especially if you shoot in RAW format.  You'll probably start in Auto and then get annoyed when other people images blow yours away.  Then the research starts and you begin to dabble and you never stop.  Haha

I've seen great results from both so you can't really go wrong but I do think one is superior quality to the other.  And I don't feel I need the Zoom feature.  This thing does fly.  If I need to get closer, I'll just fly it closer.  Being able to zoom would be great for getting shots of something you aren't allowed to fly near but 2x isn't enough for me to justify it.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2019, 12:17:36 AM »
didn't read the posts but commented on FB.

Those are flipping awesome shots Mike.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
didn't read the posts but commented on FB.

Those are flipping awesome shots Mike.   
Thanks!  I'm not totally satisfied with them but I think it has more to do with the limitations of the camera. 

I posted a video a couple posts back.  It looks like I got most of the stability back.  Its a recording of my phone screen during flight.  I centered it on myself in the driveway from a short distance and it seemed to stay.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
I went back up to the lake today.  It's 50 degrees out.  The ice was not very stable near the shore of the big end.  Then other end, where I really wanted to fly, was still really good, however there were a bunch of ice fishers out there so I didn't fly. 

Noticed this again this morning.  The drone hovers stable but drifts pretty well right under forward movement. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:56:33 AM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
I don't disagree with you Mike, but have watched and read a few reviews where the Pros state that the Pro 2 sensor is capable of better shots, but the amount of time editing is really increased to get shots "right". I guess I just need to realize that I'm not a pro and the Pro2 will still yield much better shots than the Zoom, even if I don't mess around with editing the shots extensively.

I don't care at all about the "Zoom" feature, just to be able to save $350 is a lot of chedder for extra batteries, filters, etc.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
I don't disagree with you Mike, but have watched and read a few reviews where the Pros state that the Pro 2 sensor is capable of better shots, but the amount of time editing is really increased to get shots "right". I guess I just need to realize that I'm not a pro and the Pro2 will still yield much better shots than the Zoom, even if I don't mess around with editing the shots extensively.

I don't care at all about the "Zoom" feature, just to be able to save $350 is a lot of chedder for extra batteries, filters, etc.
Absolutely the best part about the Zoom is the price.  That's a lot of money.  I couldn't blame someone for going that route.  I just look at it as these things are flying cameras.  They're not RC planes or anything crazy where you're out doing tricks and stuff.  You're flying for pics and footage.  If you buy the Zoom and regret it, you either live with it or shell out the money for the Pro on top of that, maybe sell the zoom and recoup some of the money. 

Keep in mind you aren't going to like every picture you take.  Most will be throw aways unless you're extremely anal about getting the perfect shot but then you come back with less pictures anyway.  So it's not like you're going to be editing 100 pictures everytime you go fly.  I may take 30-50 but I generally edit maybe 5 as keepers.  I just store the rest in case I want to come back to them later.  You may take 5 similar pics you like and then one you REALLY like which makes the others look not so good anymore.  Haha. 

I would say if you can spend the extra money, do it.  Don't let the hardware limit you. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »
Ryan, check this out when you have 10 minutes.  Pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/iIMHfq34Yhs

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Yeah, Pretty interesting stuff. I think that the Pro 2 will get better as they do firmware updates. It doesn't seem like they are using that sensor to it's full potential.

I'm still on the fence on which way to go, but have a while to figure it out. I'm sure if a used one comes up online for the right price, my decision will already be made.

* Recent Photos

Views: 2
By: Rockpick

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal