1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff  (Read 163233 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Once I get all the T's crossed on this truck, I'll start budgeting for one. Luckily for me though, it's too cold to do any flying anyway.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
Once I get all the T's crossed on this truck, I'll start budgeting for one. Luckily for me though, it's too cold to do any flying anyway.
I understand.  But it still won't stop me from pushing you to get one. 

Too cold?  Eh.  The drone will fly.  You might lose feeling in your hands though.  I'm determined to try flying from the cab of my truck.   They're even making wet suits now to fly in bad weather.  Ballsy if you all me buy a calm but heavy snowfall could look amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:37:20 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2019, 07:24:34 AM »
I can’t imagine the batteries lasting very long when it’s 5 degrees out, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
I can’t imagine the batteries lasting very long when it’s 5 degrees out, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next time it's 5 degrees, providing it's not windy, I'll let you know.  Eh, maybe.  Haha

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
My buddy flys from his truck all the time...just incase the police or someone doesn't want him flying. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 05:26:27 PM »
My buddy flys from his truck all the time...just incase the police or someone doesn't want him flying. 

Good to know.  I am a little worried about interference and distance being affected.  We'll see.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »

Good to know.  I am a little worried about interference and distance being affected.  We'll see.

He has several DJI products, uses them for different things...but he flys 90% from his truck from a remote location incase there is an issue, he can fly to truck, catch it and drive out without being questioned.....

As mentioned he flys in places he shouldn't.....a lot. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
I attempted and flight today. It didn't go as planned.  No crashes or anything.  I have polar pro filters.  The app suggested using an ND16.  I thought the sun was too bright for my screen. Then thought maybe it was the filter so I increased ISO to 200 and I could see.  However, back indoors I looked at the video and it seemed pretty accurate.  It also seemed to be traveling very slow.  At 500' ( I was working my way up the mountain) I could barely see the scenery moving on the screen.  Was moving at 10-11mph.  The winds were pretty calm all the way up to above 1000 so that shouldn't have been a problem unless the mountain was creating strange wind patterns.  I use UAV Forecast app so maybe it's just not accurate.  The strangest thing was that when I hit record and start moving forward, maybe 3 feet off the ground, 10 feet out it would just drop almost to the ground before I could get it to climb again.  So I wanted to calibrate the IMU but when I broke the leg off a while back I did a shitty job fixing it so I cut it back off and re epoxied it today.  Will calibrate tomorrow along with the compass.  I still don't think the leg is right so I ordered a new pair.  Ugh.  Waste of a nice day.

Finny enough, I got my first temp warning.  It said something along the lines of the flying under 15 degrees Celsius is potentially unsafe because the battery life may suffer.  Eh, whatever.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
Oh and I forgot to mention, I think I've attracted the interest of a small plane from the nearby small airport.  I don't know what height he was flying at my from the ground they looked close to each other.  This was yesterday. He's.been circling the area a lot since then.  I was within legal height but that warning, small airport, no fly thing and all...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2019, 09:28:15 PM »
Does your app tell you class air space you are flying in?   Like A, B, C, D?   

Just an FYI, max "legal" altitude is 402 ft.   According to FAA rules.  Now, in Tahoe, I was flying at 6000ft LOL, tell me how that works.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

Does your app tell you class air space you are flying in?   Like A, B, C, D?   

Just an FYI, max "legal" altitude is 402 ft.   According to FAA rules.  Now, in Tahoe, I was flying at 6000ft LOL, tell me how that works.

If it does I haven't seen it but that really doesn't mean it's not there.  Its a really small unpaved airport.  I don't really worry much about it.  All of the maps show there are 3-5 airports in the area.  I'm pretty far from LVIA though which is the only one in the area I would worry about. 

I don't know that I was below 400 from my takeoff point.  Close to it though.  But if you have noticed the hill behind my house, and the pipeline (line of cleared trees) that makes a trail up the side of the property, from roughly the garage floor to the top of that hill is roughly 200 feet which is what I was flying over at the time.  The 400 (call it 402 if you'd like) rule is above ground level (or AGL), not altitude.  If you're flying to the top of a 1000' mountain, starting at the bottom, you can fly your drone to the top and be at 1400' legally.  Or if you take off from 10,000 feet above sea level, you can fly straight up to 10,400 feet.  Same goes for buildings and such.  400' AGL or above nearest building or object. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2019, 11:15:38 PM »
Yes that is correct.   I always thought it was funny that I could fly so high in Tahoe but it counts where you take off, that is if you are using GPS. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:05 AM »
Yes that is correct.   I always thought it was funny that I could fly so high in Tahoe but it counts where you take off, that is if you are using GPS.
I thought you really didn't understand how it worked.  I was thinking to myself, man, I find it hard to believe this is something he wouldn't already know.  Haha. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
I thought you really didn't understand how it worked.  I was thinking to myself, man, I find it hard to believe this is something he wouldn't already know.  Haha. 

Sorry the comment of "tell me how that works" was presumed sarcasm.  Sorry. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »

Sorry the comment of "tell me how that works" was presumed sarcasm.  Sorry.
I just wasn't sure. 

Had a moment today.  Out flying over a lake today I had a controller disconnect and couldn't get it back.  Finally powered off the remote and powered it on and got it back.  Killed most of the battery in the process.  I was attempting one last shot of running the length of the lake from one end to the other when it happened.  Screwed up my shot.  RTH kicked in.  I didn't cancel the RTH right away so trying to fight it, the footage got really shakey.  Stupid moment. 

Also, thinking it was going to be a nice day, I was not prepared for the morning temps, especially up in the mountains at the lake.  Flew 100% from the cab of my warm truck.  Well, 95%.  I got out to reposition and try to get reconnect there at the end.

* Recent Photos

DSC02905.JPG

Views: 2
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal