1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff  (Read 167146 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Kitzy's Random Drone Stuff
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Turned out pretty good. Stop with the videos, my wallet cry’s whenever I look at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2019, 11:48:57 PM »
A quick little flight from today.  First time fully editing a video 100% on my phone.  It's not perfect.  I did a lot of speeding up to shorten the video.  It really amplifies some of the movements that otherwise didn't look so quick and jerky.  Oh well.  I planned to shoot a little more but as soon as I swapped to a fresh battery it started to rain.  I thought it was funny that I happened to be getting a package delivered at the same time as my return flight. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That is GREAT man, loved it....the music was spot on.    Ok, that outcropping of rock...reminds me of some places in AR where I learned to rock climb...I can see some nice bouldering routes on those rocks...just awesome.   

I am sure it is hard and easy to edit from the phone but I find when i do the speed up cuts you have to do it wisely or else you expose some "rough" flying.   Makes you pick the scene and clips difficult, especially on the phone.    Flying clean is my biggest challenge.   My buddies all fly in modes like POI and FOV, I fly like you by wire...as is.   While DJI makes it easy to fly, flying technique is still by touch....its harder than people think to be smooth and provide that cinematic experience.
50% is flying and 50% is production....I think you are starting to master both.   A good buddy of mine gave me great advice.  He said cut your scenes to 12 seconds or less then change...the mind wonders and so does your audience.   Takes more editing but makes it more interesting.   He continued and said, don't make the video for you, make it for anyone who sees it. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:53:38 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »

A quick little flight from today.  First time fully editing a video 100% on my phone.  It's not perfect.  I did a lot of speeding up to shorten the video.  It really amplifies some of the movements that otherwise didn't look so quick and jerky.  Oh well.  I planned to shoot a little more but as soon as I swapped to a fresh battery it started to rain.  I thought it was funny that I happened to be getting a package delivered at the same time as my return flight. 

That is GREAT man, loved it....the music was spot on.    Ok, that outcropping of rock...reminds me of some places in AR where I learned to rock climb...I can see some nice bouldering routes on those rocks...just awesome.   

I am sure it is hard and easy to edit from the phone but I find when i do the speed up cuts you have to do it wisely or else you expose some "rough" flying.   Makes you pick the scene and clips difficult, especially on the phone.    Flying clean is my biggest challenge.   My buddies all fly in modes like POI and FOV, I fly like you by wire...as is.   While DJI makes it easy to fly, flying technique is still by touch....its harder than people think to be smooth and provide that cinematic experience.
50% is flying and 50% is production....I think you are starting to master both.   A good buddy of mine gave me great advice.  He said cut your scenes to 12 seconds or less then change...the mind wonders and so does your audience.   Takes more editing but makes it more interesting.   He continued and said, don't make the video for you, make it for anyone who sees it.

There's a sweet spot for sure in the length of the clips.  I struggle with that especially when a certain clip has a beginning where I feel like the build up is important and when the end of than clip, the destination and money shot you were trying to build up to, when that middle section is too long (like that ridge for instance).  That's when I tried to speed it up.  In real time the movements seemed much smoother.  Speed it up and it looks like the pilot was drunk.  I tend to over drift the target sometimes. 

I'm starting to pay attention to the height of some of the trees and the ridge now so I can plan litchi missions ahead of time.  Flying by the seat of my pants I think I might have nearly drifted into the neighbors tree while panning left and chasing that delivery truck up our road.  Wouldn't be the first time. 

As far as editing, it was easy after I figured out the program.  I used Power director for Android.  It's free but doesn't allow 4k and had a watermark unless you pay.  $9.99 for 3 months thought isn't bad so I did it for the convenience and I hate watermarks.  The hardest part is, and I think it's a processer issue, is that when speeding clips up, that part gets really jump and skips around.  It's not bad at 2x speed but at 4x it drops probably 75% of the frames.  I have dedicated my old Google Pixel XL 1 to drone flying so I don't have to remove my case all the time.  It also meant the file was on a 2+ year old phone.  Maybe it would have been smoother on the Pixel 3. 

By the way, did you see the new controller with the built in screen for any drone using Occusync 2.0? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »
Turned out pretty good. Stop with the videos, my wallet cry’s whenever I look at it!

Look at it this way, while expensive, it's probably only a fraction of the cost of what you've been blowing through.  Wifey may not even notice it on the bill.  Show her how it locks on and follows the truck and maybe you can convince her it's an important tuning tool.  Just another safety measure so you don't end up with another blown motor.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »
It will probably have to wait until my Birthday, which is the end of May. Hopefully there will be a couple used ones for sale of the Pro 2 by then.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
It will probably have to wait until my Birthday, which is the end of May. Hopefully there will be a couple used ones for sale of the Pro 2 by then.

The Pro 2 has some quirks yet anyway.  Seen a handful of fly aways lately but it's mostly people not understanding the winds.  The Pro 2 has far and away the better camera.  It's close to the Phantom 4 Pro which I believe is what Jason is flying.  And there's scepticism that DJI is holding the camera back some.  Possibly for future variations.  Or maybe it's not true.  Who knows.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

Just saw this.  B&H has the Mavic Pro Standard kit today for $649.  Something like 8 hours as of right now left on that sale.  It's not the Platinum like mine but really the Platinum doesn't get you much.  I think a couple extra minutes flight time and quieter propellers that can be bought separate anyway. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285011-REG/dji_cp_pt_000500_mavic_pro.html

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
you are correct sir

Running a Phantom 4 Pro+ .  (The Plus means you get a remote with screen built in)

I have 2 extra batteries for the drone itself.  But this kit was as the best price I found at the time. 

I haven't seen what is new from DJI but they really make it easy no matter what you fly. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MWN93Z/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:01 PM »
you are correct sir

Running a Phantom 4 Pro+ .  (The Plus means you get a remote with screen built in)

I have 2 extra batteries for the drone itself.  But this kit was as the best price I found at the time. 

I haven't seen what is new from DJI but they really make it easy no matter what you fly. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MWN93Z/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What's the big ticket item on that bundle?  It's over double the regular cost?  I know batteries and that fancy controller can't be cheap but that's crazy.  I buy everything I can through B&H Photo.  Super reputable company with the best prices around usually.  And a bonus for me is since they ship out of NY and have same day shipping, I get everything next day as long as I order before a certain time of day.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:21 PM »
you are correct sir

What's the big ticket item on that bundle?  It's over double the regular cost?  I know batteries and that fancy controller can't be cheap but that's crazy.  I buy everything I can through B&H Photo.  Super reputable company with the best prices around usually.  And a bonus for me is since they ship out of NY and have same day shipping, I get everything next day as long as I order before a certain time of day.

What price was it showing you?  I know that mine, when I ordered was fulfilled from B&H for that bundle.  I think the color and the controller make the price a tad higher but I paid 1850.00 for that bundle.  Almost 2 years ago and the price was higher then. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
you are correct sir

What price was it showing you?  I know that mine, when I ordered was fulfilled from B&H for that bundle.  I think the color and the controller make the price a tad higher but I paid 1850.00 for that bundle.  Almost 2 years ago and the price was higher then.
$3500ish.  Haha

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:57:45 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »
Yeah no, that is not accurate....that must be a seller taking advantage of the color and limited availability.

We paid 1850 or maybe it was even 1650 for our bundle and I have that grey color one...Obsidian version that was limited at the time.   The 2 batteries and the charger were a gift from a friend to wanted me to get a drone...he sent us that and I kind of had to do it at that point.  The bastard.  to be 100% honest, I wasn't really a fan of the drone until I got one....even then the learning curve and how many updates were needed when i got it really frustrated me...but after that first flight I was like, dammmmmmnnn this is legit. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 08:02:44 AM »
Yeah no, that is not accurate....that must be a seller taking advantage of the color and limited availability.

We paid 1850 or maybe it was even 1650 for our bundle and I have that grey color one...Obsidian version that was limited at the time.   The 2 batteries and the charger were a gift from a friend to wanted me to get a drone...he sent us that and I kind of had to do it at that point.  The bastard.  to be 100% honest, I wasn't really a fan of the drone until I got one....even then the learning curve and how many updates were needed when i got it really frustrated me...but after that first flight I was like, dammmmmmnnn this is legit.
Well, it's kind of your fault that I have a drone.  I had always wanted one... Then your flippin Tahoe trip pushed me over the edge.  Now I'm like, if I can just sell a kidney I can get an Inspire 2. 

The weather around here as been awful.  Pretty much all year.  There have only been a few ideal flying days in the last few months.  We have had record rain.  When the sun does come out it's crazy windy.  The only calm, dry days are usually cloudy.  Next week looks better.  I hope to get it out some more.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:27 AM »

Well, it's kind of your fault that I have a drone.  I had always wanted one... Then your flippin Tahoe trip pushed me over the edge.  Now I'm like, if I can just sell a kidney I can get an Inspire 2. 

The weather around here as been awful.  Pretty much all year.  There have only been a few ideal flying days in the last few months.  We have had record rain.  When the sun does come out it's crazy windy.  The only calm, dry days are usually cloudy.  Next week looks better.  I hope to get it out some more.

Sorry bro but I do not accept the blame on this one...that Tahoe trip was cool but I was a total noob.   My friend, the one who sent me the 2 batteries and charger before I even had a drone....so I kind of had to buy a P4 P+....lets kick his ass.   You in?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »

Sorry bro but I do not accept the blame on this one...that Tahoe trip was cool but I was a total noob.   My friend, the one who sent me the 2 batteries and charger before I even had a drone....so I kind of had to buy a P4 P+....lets kick his ass.   You in?

Accept it or not, it's still your fault.  Haha.  You shared the videos and pictures from Tahoe.  I'm down for a little ass kicking though.  I get his drone(s) when we are done though. 

Someone needs to send Ryan a battery and charger to get the ball rolling. 

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal