April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Lake Tahoe Drone Footage  (Read 37311 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Lake Tahoe Drone Footage
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
hmm...wonder if that is prop glare?   

does your gembal have a max up setting?   If so is it off or on?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
hmm...wonder if that is prop glare?   

does your gembal have a max up setting?   If so is it off or on?
I'll have to look.  Sometimes it stops at level and sometimes it will go just a bit higher.  Not really sure what determines whether it will go higher or not.  Maybe it depends on the mode I'm in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2018, 12:19:51 AM »
I saw the shots on Facebook, really cool. Gotta say, it's hard to sit on my wallet when you guys are having fun, lol!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
I saw the shots on Facebook, really cool. Gotta say, it's hard to sit on my wallet when you guys are having fun, lol!

3 of us make a forum so I will start a new section....LOL 

I get to use my Drone to check my roof for storm damage.  We had an EF-0 Tornado in my back yard Monday....Not kidding.  I was in Houston.  Ugh 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2018, 01:38:24 AM »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
what do you guys think. He'll take $900

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/modded-mavic-pro-fly-more/6496232612.html
Wonder what happened to the third battery.  I would think if it flies and functions properly it wouldn't be a terrible deal.  I don't know much about firmware modifications. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
what do you guys think. He'll take $900

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/modded-mavic-pro-fly-more/6496232612.html
Wonder what happened to the third battery.  I would think if it flies and functions properly it wouldn't be a terrible deal.  I don't know much about firmware modifications. 

I suspect the firmware (he is not saying this) upgrade was more for NFZ's than height. That is the only reason to do that mode.  There is no situation I can think of where i need to fly higher than 500 meters...I haven't been above 425 ft or so.  Going higher puts you in higher winds and thus more battery needed to fly. 

I am too new to this and I don't know the "market" for these things.   I would ask him why he is selling.   

That all said, for stuff like this, I like to buy new. 

As I type I am thinking...I wonder what the Canadian laws are like...Fed Parks and stuff in the US are also NFZ's.   

hmmmmm

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Depending on elevation and where you're flying it may come in handy to fly higher than 500 feet (meters is another story).  If you're already starting at a low elevation and flying around mountain tops or canyons.  I've seen people fly from the top of mountains that are already at 10000+ feet elevation.  Wind is a concern for sure though. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
Depending on elevation and where you're flying it may come in handy to fly higher than 500 feet (meters is another story).  If you're already starting at a low elevation and flying around mountain tops or canyons.  I've seen people fly from the top of mountains that are already at 10000+ feet elevation.  Wind is a concern for sure though. 

Just to be clear, we are talking about flight heights from Starting point, regardless of elevation over sea level.  Correct?   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »

Just to be clear, we are talking about flight heights from Starting point, regardless of elevation over sea level.  Correct?
I was talking about both.  Elevation was in regards to winds being higher.  I agree with the winds but what do you do when flying from mountain tops at high elevation.  For instance starting from 10k feet and flying to 10,400 or starting lower and flying to the same height.  Just an example. 

As for flight heights from starting point, I can see a need for going higher than allowed.  Like I said, near mountains and canyons.  Sometimes you just need more height.  That 400 foot rule if I understand it is 400 feet above objects.  So 400 feet above a building or mountain is the same as 400 feet above a lake or field. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
I gave him a call. He said he lost the third battery when he left it in a park or something. He modified the firmware to be able to fly higher on calm days. Wanted to get distant mountain shots or something.

He's selling it as he bought a DJI phantom apparently.

Compared to buying new, I would be saving around $600 and that's just on the base unit, no case. But, it's short a battery. $600 would cover the rest of my 4x4 recovery gear, lol.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
I gave him a call. He said he lost the third battery when he left it in a park or something. He modified the firmware to be able to fly higher on calm days. Wanted to get distant mountain shots or something.

He's selling it as he bought a DJI phantom apparently.

Compared to buying new, I would be saving around $600 and that's just on the base unit, no case. But, it's short a battery. $600 would cover the rest of my 4x4 recovery gear, lol.
That sounds pretty good.   I do love my P4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
The case isnt quite big enough anyway.  It's nice because it's small.  I'm getting by with it for now.  I have managed to fit everything except the charging hub.  I may get a pelican and only use the case for hiking. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
He possibly has a buyer, we'll see how it plays out. I told him I would like to see it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
I am getting frustrated with a lot of the restrictions.  There are 121 awesome state parks in Pennsylvania and only 6 of them allow drones and only in designated areas.  Luckily one of them is withing 15 minutes but still.  It seems the only places that are really allowed are residential areas and cities providing they're not within 5 miles of an airport which I totally get and agree with.  I imagine they will just continue to crack down and make things worse.  As the technology improves giving you the capability to do more, the regulations get more strict allowing you to do less. 

* Recent Photos

IMG_6167.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal