1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Lake Tahoe Drone Footage  (Read 35280 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Lake Tahoe Drone Footage
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »
Wanted to throw this up here....

recently got a DJI Phantom 4 Pro Drone....decided to take it to Tahoe for our company meetings.  Took some cool videos.  Here is a little video I put together after day one.

I will probably redo this with updated footage, I got some cool stuff.  Some of this was shot 1-1.5 feet above the water and some at 500+ feet.   

Sorry for the shitty music, not a lot of cool royalty free music out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZk240p6zdw

https://youtu.be/CZk240p6zdw

https://youtu.be/CZk240p6zdw

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:33:39 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Lake Tahoe Drone Footage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Awesome footage JP! I think it's pretty incredible that you can get shots that only a helicopter could accomplish just a few short years ago.

I have been toying around with getting a drone for this summer. Looking for something a little more portable than yours, so may be getting a Mavic Pro if I pull the trigger.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »
Awesome footage JP! I think it's pretty incredible that you can get shots that only a helicopter could accomplish just a few short years ago.

I have been toying around with getting a drone for this summer. Looking for something a little more portable than yours, so may be getting a Mavic Pro if I pull the trigger.

Thanks man, this P4 Pro has its perks and advantages but traveling isn't one of them but TOALLY WORTH IT...I need longer flight time for spotting hogs on the ranch....but that said, the Mavic Pro Platinum sure is sexy and portable and almost the same flight times. 

Maybe Kitzy will chime in after he gets his first flight times unders his belt.   LOL

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:33 AM »
Awesome footage there JP! The things one can do with a drone these days are unbelievable.

A caution on flying over water though. The offshore powerboat club I belong to bought a drone a couple of years ago to shoot video of some of our outings. Last summer on nearby Seneca Lake, they sent the drone up as a bunch (about 25) of us approached the camera boat at 60 MPH or so. Just as it went up, a gust of wind caught it and slapped it right into the drink. We recovered the drone, but the camera and mount were MIA in 900 feet of water. Ugh!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »

Thanks man, this P4 Pro has its perks and advantages but traveling isn't one of them but TOALLY WORTH IT...I need longer flight time for spotting hogs on the ranch....but that said, the Mavic Pro Platinum sure is sexy and portable and almost the same flight times. 

Maybe Kitzy will chime in after he gets his first flight times unders his belt.   LOL
Yes.  Jason's trip to Lake Tahoe was an expensive trip for me.  I always wanted a drone.  I was tossing the idea around for a while.  I almost bought the GoPro version a while back because it has some features I could use outside of the drone that were compatible with the GoPro.  I hesitated, gopros drone division went under and that solidified that idea.  So after Jason rejuvenated my desire to have a drone, I purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum on Friday.  Unfortunately I waited too long and it couldn't ship that day or I would have had it yesterday.  Now I will have it Tuesday.  Giving me almost no time to play with it before I take it to Tennessee.

I also wanted something more portable.  The Mavic Air is smaller and in some ways a little better and even cheaper but the trade offs weren't worth it to me.  The Mavic Pro has a better controller (has a screen, don't need to use smart phone), better wireless connection system from remote to drone and longer flight time.  It can also go further which I think is somewhat attributed to the longer flight time and better connection.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »
Awesome footage there JP! The things one can do with a drone these days are unbelievable.

A caution on flying over water though. The offshore powerboat club I belong to bought a drone a couple of years ago to shoot video of some of our outings. Last summer on nearby Seneca Lake, they sent the drone up as a bunch (about 25) of us approached the camera boat at 60 MPH or so. Just as it went up, a gust of wind caught it and slapped it right into the drink. We recovered the drone, but the camera and mount were MIA in 900 feet of water. Ugh!
Surprised it tanked like that.  I watched testing of them where they used leaf blowers to the tune of 220 mph air (so they say, not likely) directed right at them and they only moved a few feet but stayed in the air.  Maybe it was a coincidental malfunction.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »

Yes.  Jason's trip to Lake Tahoe was an expensive trip for me.  I always wanted a drone.  I was tossing the idea around for a while.  I almost bought the GoPro version a while back because it has some features I could use outside of the drone that were compatible with the GoPro.  I hesitated, gopros drone division went under and that solidified that idea.  So after Jason rejuvenated my desire to have a drone, I purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum on Friday.  Unfortunately I waited too long and it couldn't ship that day or I would have had it yesterday.  Now I will have it Tuesday.  Giving me almost no time to play with it before I take it to Tennessee.

I also wanted something more portable.  The Mavic Air is smaller and in some ways a little better and even cheaper but the trade offs weren't worth it to me.  The Mavic Pro has a better controller (has a screen, don't need to use smart phone), better wireless connection system from remote to drone and longer flight time.  It can also go further which I think is somewhat attributed to the longer flight time and better connection.

you will love the screen built in with the controller...a reason I opted for the Pro "Plus" 

Per Tom's note, with the integrated camera's on the DJI's I suspect the one your buddy lost was not a DJI so I wouldn't be able to speak to the flight capabilities. 

As for flying over water...it is risky for sure but since there was no boats on the water I felt safer...that and I did fly overs to make sure there wasn't other issues like Ducks/Geese etc.  I was flying close enough that prop wash was evident when I wasn't moving.   Also made for cool movement. 

Mike, free tip, when using near dirt and or sand, you probably need tripod launch mode and same for landing.   I just hover mine and grab it out of the air.   Gonna use my P4 for a while and wait for the pricing to drop some on the Mavic's but rest assured, that will be my next purchase.   Hell, pending on what you think I may get one sooner.

RR

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »

you will love the screen built in with the controller...a reason I opted for the Pro "Plus" 

Per Tom's note, with the integrated camera's on the DJI's I suspect the one your buddy lost was not a DJI so I wouldn't be able to speak to the flight capabilities. 

As for flying over water...it is risky for sure but since there was no boats on the water I felt safer...that and I did fly overs to make sure there wasn't other issues like Ducks/Geese etc.  I was flying close enough that prop wash was evident when I wasn't moving.   Also made for cool movement. 

Mike, free tip, when using near dirt and or sand, you probably need tripod launch mode and same for landing.   I just hover mine and grab it out of the air.   Gonna use my P4 for a while and wait for the pricing to drop some on the Mavic's but rest assured, that will be my next purchase.   Hell, pending on what you think I may get one sooner.

RR
I wonder if that wasn't the GoPro Karma I was referring to in my post.  The gimbal is removable so it can be handheld for things like skiing and such so the footage is watchable and not all over the place.  I imagine if it smacks in to the water it could very well poop off.  And at that point the camera being attached to it would just sink, especially because it wouldn't be mounted to the waterproof case or a float. 

The tripod deal, is that to keep the props from dusting the crap out of everything? 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »

[/quote]

The tripod deal, is that to keep the props from dusting the crap out of everything? 

[/quote]

Tripod is just a take off and landing mode. 

The one thing you are going to be surprised with is the total lack of information that comes with your DJI.  Know this, before you do anything, update it. 
PS always turn on the controller first....then drone.

first flights, you should go in to "Beginner" mode. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »

The one thing you are going to be surprised with is the total lack of information that comes with your DJI.  Know this, before you do anything, update it. 

Got it. And yes, I saw everyone saying update firmware before anything.  Batteries too need to be updated.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:11:43 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »

[/quote]Got it. And yes, I saw everyone saying update firmware before anything.  Batteries too need to be updated.

[/quote]Tom....this was taken with my phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:20:36 PM »
Received my tracking info today.  Should be here Tuesday.  I've got so much to do this week before Friday.  Hoping I can get it updated and some fly time before I leave.  Either way it's coming with me. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:57 PM »
Received my tracking info today.  Should be here Tuesday.  I've got so much to do this week before Friday.  Hoping I can get it updated and some fly time before I leave.  Either way it's coming with me. 

Unpack and charge both controller and battery.

Once charged, get controller on wifi and set up account...then update.  It is Android so it will be familiar to you.    Then if it is like the Phantoms, there is a supplied cabled, turn on drone and update that too via controller. 

Go fly.   Wide open spaces.....

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »
Great info guys! I was also looking at the Karma, but quickly figured out how much of a dumpster fire that product turned out to be. I almost picked up a used one "cheap", glad I didn't.

I'll likely go for the Mavick Pro Platty. Seems to be the best fit overall for what I want to use it for. The air looked good overall, but I know that I would have Kitzy envy...

There does seem to be a few used ones in my area. Not sure of the cons of buying used, other than potentially being crashed.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
Great info guys! I was also looking at the Karma, but quickly figured out how much of a dumpster fire that product turned out to be. I almost picked up a used one "cheap", glad I didn't.

I'll likely go for the Mavick Pro Platty. Seems to be the best fit overall for what I want to use it for. The air looked good overall, but I know that I would have Kitzy envy...

There does seem to be a few used ones in my area. Not sure of the cons of buying used, other than potentially being crashed.
I think the Air is probably a good machine.  Mostly the controller was a deal breaker for me.  There's no screen.  You need to use wifi and there's a bit of a lag so they say and very rarely but there is also an occasional disconnect.  I'm not sure how the cameras compare.  In comparisons I've read, the Air comes out on top but to my eye, I actually liked the Mavic better. 

Also, I don't think the Karma was necessarily bad, atleast not after they worked out the bugs after the initial recall. They just couldn't hang with DJI.  DJI pretty has the market.  Now I'd be more concerned with what kind of service you'll be able to get with the Karma. 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:08:20 AM by Kitzy »

* Recent Photos

IMG_9387.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal