1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Bus drivers, my archenemy  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Bus drivers, my archenemy
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
I have a history of frustration with bus drivers.  It stems from doing road work and having to deal with them on a regular basis.  The majority of them cannot drive yet they do it for a living. 

On a winding back road I had a bus driver coming the other way cross the line and smack my mirror with his.  I heard it, looked over expecting the worst and could see some of the reflector from the front side is broken.  I slammed the brakes on about to lose my mind, begin a k-turn to chase him down and hes stopped and now backing up to me.  An older man driving one of those transportation coach buses.  Like the smaller F450 type old folks home or handicap buses.  I composed myself and we exchanged info.  Wished him a better day going forward.  I didn't have the heart to tell him he crossed over the line.  It was probably single digits out and he was freezing and barely able to write or use his phone. 

Somehow my mirror only suffered the Amber lense.  His mirror was pretty well done.  Props to GM for building a strong mirror.  Sourced some new lenses on eBay at $90 shipped.  Dealer wanted just shy of $130.  I wanted it replaced immediately because the LEDs were exposed and the eBay seller was took a day and a half to get back to me so I didnt trust him to get me the part I a timely manner.  Dealer had it in the warehouse and had it overnight for me.  Turns out, the $130 gets you all of the LEDs as well.  Explains the cost even though all of the diagrams explain is as a lense.

20 minute job.  Left the mirror attached to the door because taking the door panel off would have sucked and taken just as long or longer out in the garage which is about 10 degrees just to take the mirror inside to work on it. 

On to the only part anyone cares about.  Pictures.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Bus drivers, my archenemy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
Glad everything worked out in the end. I've had the exact same thing happen in one of the marina trucks and yes, it sucks.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »
Crap, glad it worked out.

The Mrs has problems getting coverage from underwritersto cover cities that have these vans with old drivers for just this reason.  She had several that were not renewed for CY16 for claims.

Funny when we were kids, around here we could not get a job as a parts runner for Napa stores, now they don't want the older drivers either..
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
Really glad it was a easy fix, those mirrors aren't cheap.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
Yeah my heart dropped a bit when it happened.  Then I wasn't sure if I could get the reflector separately.  I started thinking about how expensive the mirror was going to be.  Then I saw there were afternarket lenses out there and it made me feel better. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:09:54 PM »
If this is getting to specific / personal please tell me no comment.

Did you turn in the ~ $130.00 to the bus company or did you just eat it and call it a day ?

I don't know how long you have to report the accident to the county (state ) police to get a claim or if your insurance company even requires the report for a claim.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »

Did you turn in the ~ $130.00 to the bus company or did you just eat it and call it a day ?

I don't know how long you have to report the accident to the county (state ) police to get a claim or if your insurance company even requires the report for a claim.
No worries.  I just ate the cost.  It would have turned in to a he-said-she-said so unless the guy just owned up to it, it would have been more of a hassle than anything. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »

No worries.  I just ate the cost.  It would have turned in to a he-said-she-said so unless the guy just owned up to it, it would have been more of a hassle than anything. 

That's pretty much what happened to me when the mirror on the marina pickup got whacked. We both agreed to cover the costs ourselves and not turn it into the insurance. Of course this was 20 years ago when side mirrors cost less than a house.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »

I don't know if you called and told him it is now a non issue.

I like to think if he knows someone did him a solid that he would in turn do someone a solid one day.

The Mrs has somebody scrape her rear bumper and take off some paint.  The lady went into the store and had the owner of a black Lincoln paged.

She owned up to it, and Nikki got the body guy to fix it for < 600.00 which she paid for direct.
- The lady also dropped off a check for the rental car costs, at the time she paid for the body work, that we never used.

Schedules worked out that I could play old school Lyft and take her back and forth to work; so we did not get a rental car to have it sit in a garage 90% of the time over the 3 days.
- Either our garage or Nikki's garage at work.

Nikki called the lady and told her we did not get a rental and shredded the check.  Figured she was cool enough to own up to the damage that I could work around playing Lyft driver to save her the cash.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »
I've been tossing around the idea of calling up the company just to notify them that I fixed my damage.  Just as a courtesy so they weren't waiting around wondering what was going on with it.  I think the guy would own up to it but you never know. 

I am.curiois how much a new mirror would cost. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
Tasca has the mirror assembly at $450. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
That's not too cheap, but not crazy.

I think this is a situation where a dashcam would be handy.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
That's not too cheap, but not crazy.

I think this is a situation where a dashcam would be handy.
I do a lot of driving so I've thought about getting one before.  My only issue is that I'm not so sure I want my driving recorded.  It's on the fast and aggressive side. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 12:16:20 AM »
Totally understand, although I don't drive that fast anymore.

Bonus is you can share what you want.

It's come in very handy so far, but for others, lol. I've recorded 3 accidents that happened in front or behind me and submitted the footage to the "state" insurance agency here (vehicle insurance is public in my Province).

* Recent Photos

IMG_6521.JPG

Views: 3
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal