1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: New fog lights  (Read 9224 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
New fog lights
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
I swapped out the stock fog lights for new morimoto led units.  It's a full swap.  New housing with everything integrated in to it.  It makes a noticeable difference.  They are 5500k so bordering on a hint of blue.  Ideally 4300 would have been nice or a compromise of 5000k which in my opinion gives a nice balance between looks and functionality.  The headlights are next.  Doing a morimoto HID kit and hoping the cut off remains close to stock.  Anyway, check out the beam pattern on these fogs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: New fog lights
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:11 PM »
Looks nice, wide beam.  Where did you get them at ?
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Looks nice, wide beam.  Where did you get them at ?
The Retro Fit Source

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:24:33 AM »
Mike,

I've got the same Morimoto XB fogs in my Tacoma and love them. The 10 year warranty isn't half bad either.

Tom

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
following

as I am about to convert all my forward lighting. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:22 AM »
following

JP,

Give me a call before you jump in too far.

Tom

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
following

Here we go again... :dope:

:funny:

I'm screwed.   TRFS shows the Subaru kit for my Nav and it is a 5300K CCT.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »
Looking good Mike. I like mine, good value and nice upgrade over stock.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »

you did this on your Ford?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
I will say this.  They are better than what I had.  I like the look of them better off as well.  My girlfriend's drop in bulbs from Diode Dynamic do a much better job lighting up the road though.  The downside to hers is that they are a bit of a nuisance to other drivers.  She's followed me before and while it doesn't bother me, I can see it bothering others.  They look killer though.  The Morimotos have a very good pattern to them though. 

If I can get some time the Morimoto Elite HIDs are going in.  It won't be a proper retro fit but I'm hoping for the best as the factor headlights on these trucks is so bad that customers started a lawsuit forcing GM in to a fix. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »
Have you tried playing with the aiming of your XBs yet? They come pretty far off from ideal from the factory.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Have you tried playing with the aiming of your XBs yet? They come pretty far off from ideal from the factory.

They did not look too bad, if this picture is 25' out.

I am eyeballing the fogs at 12" lower ( cinder block wall ) than where the headlamps fall on the wall.

My truck is ~ 13" from headlamp to fog lamp and his look further apart than that.  Guessing a 4" lamp ~ 15" apart from the picture up the thread.

If that is 25', they look a bit high by the old school aiming of 4" lower than center of the fog lamp at 25'
At 6" the top of the cut off would be about at the center of lamp off the ground.

I know this is a large dose of conjecture on the distances both truck to wall and distance between the headlamps and fog lamps to guess where a 4" drop would be.  Add in is the truck even level at the distance it is at.

sorry I took a break from an eval write up so my brain is locked in a position right now.. :slow:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

They did not look too bad, if this picture is 25' out.

I am eyeballing the fogs at 12" lower ( cinder block wall ) than where the headlamps fall on the wall.

My truck is ~ 13" from headlamp to fog lamp and his look further apart than that.  Guessing a 4" lamp ~ 15" apart from the picture up the thread.

If that is 25', they look a bit high by the old school aiming of 4" lower than center of the fog lamp at 25'
At 6" the top of the cut off would be about at the center of lamp off the ground.

I know this is a large dose of conjecture on the distances both truck to wall and distance between the headlamps and fog lamps to guess where a 4" drop would be.  Add in is the truck even level at the distance it is at.

sorry I took a break from an eval write up so my brain is locked in a position right now.. :slow:
My truck is barely out of sight in this picture.  I hadn't planned the picture. I just happened to pull up to where I park at work and decided to jump out and snag the pic.  I'm not even perpendicular to the wall. 

I have not aimed them.  I tried to set them up as close as possible to the housings I removed.  They were kind of a pain.  There is not much room behind them to get to the clips.  And then the bolt on the back of the Morimoto fogs has a built in washer that actually stops the clips from closing all of the way and allowing them to go far enough in the holes to actually clip in place.  It took me a while to figure that out and I ended up cutting off the washer (it was the type that is loose and spins but can't be taken off past the threads.) The reason I bring all of this up is because I have no desire to get back behind there again and mess with the adjustment.  They don't seem to bother anyone and they're a definite improvement. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

Yup, I did them some time ago. I wouldn't stack them up against a set of D.O.T. Rigid cubes, but they are waaaay better than stock.

Mine are the round ones (same from '06), yours will be different.

Mike,
I think you need to drop them a little bit, probably not lighting the road right in front of you the way they are now.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »

Yup, I did them some time ago. I wouldn't stack them up against a set of D.O.T. Rigid cubes, but they are waaaay better than stock.

Mine are the round ones (same from '06), yours will be different.

Mike,
I think you need to drop them a little bit, probably not lighting the road right in front of you the way they are now.
From the driver's seat, I really don't see any areas that are not lit up immediately in front of the truck.  I tried to grab a few pictures but I don't feel they really do it justice. 

I don't like tapatalks picture upload.  I don't seem to be able to place them within the text so bear with me.

In order of upload:
Headlights only
Foglights only
Both
About 25' out, roughly from my line of vision
Same 25ish feet, camera a little closer to the windshield

* Recent Photos

IMG_3420.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal