Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: LED Work light or Halogen  (Read 11997 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: LED Work light or Halogen
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »
All mine are direct wired.   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Pictures definitely help me understand some of your posts.  Haha.  You're one technical fella. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It could be I am just a loon and that far out there  :funny:
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »

Are there 3 ( ore more ) lights up there ?
- Wondering why there are 3 Romex feeds to that fixture.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 01:34:26 AM »

Are there 3 ( ore more ) lights up there ?
- Wondering why there are 3 Romex feeds to that fixture.

yes, 3 fixtures on each section, all look to be tied into one fixture under the cover.   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
yes, 3 fixtures on each section, all look to be tied into one fixture under the cover.

That is easy enough to convert to a surface mounted outlet which would allow you to select which LED lights ( and transformer ) you want to go with.

If you want to try this yourself just need pictures of the other 2 and to get a shopping list for home Depot.

If you have an electrician that you use, he could knock that out quick to get the outlets up there in place of the fixture.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »

That is easy enough to convert to a surface mounted outlet which would allow you to select which LED lights ( and transformer ) you want to go with.

If you want to try this yourself just need pictures of the other 2 and to get a shopping list for home Depot.

If you have an electrician that you use, he could knock that out quick to get the outlets up there in place of the fixture.

Ok, I am in San Fran right now.   But the other lights are just wired together using 3 wires.  white, black and copper ground.   Looks like each bank of lights are wired together in one master light.   So I would have to direct wire all the figures and remove the box right? 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »
Ok, I am in San Fran right now.   But the other lights are just wired together using 3 wires.  white, black and copper ground.   Looks like each bank of lights are wired together in one master light.   So I would have to direct wire all the figures and remove the box right?

Each light change to an outlet in a surface mounted box.  Each fixture when you remove it put the wires on the outlet before screwing the outlet to the 4" work cover for the duplex outlet.

The master light you will need to wire nut in a single wire to connect to the outlet ( 3 is a tricky thing with 1 stab and one on each lug, not the best config ).

Your code might allow these.

I don't use them, they are expensive and I am good making my own as the picture above.

If you make your own pigtail, you are going to use the hook function on the strippers to make the hok on the wire for the screw.  This is for the wire end, do not break the tab on your outlets

DON'T be this guy ( stab connections )

You can find out easy enough at HomeDepot if you need to use the Raco 190 steel box or if you are plastic boxes like other states ( not IL ).

The transformer for the 12v DC ( or AC ) power supply plugs into that.

BTW : The hook function on the strippers, it is that hole you never knew what it was for.

Put the end of the wire in there and turn your wrist and it makes a perfect hook  :Old Dogg™:

You do the outlet on the top of each cabinet and you are free to select what every you want for lighting up there.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »

Each light change to an outlet in a surface mounted box.  Each fixture when you remove it put the wires on the outlet before screwing the outlet to the 4" work cover for the duplex outlet.

The master light you will need to wire nut in a single wire to connect to the outlet ( 3 is a tricky thing with 1 stab and one on each lug, not the best config ).

Your code might allow these.

I don't use them, they are expensive and I am good making my own as the picture above.

If you make your own pigtail, you are going to use the hook function on the strippers to make the hok on the wire for the screw.  This is for the wire end, do not break the tab on your outlets

DON'T be this guy ( stab connections )

You can find out easy enough at HomeDepot if you need to use the Raco 190 steel box or if you are plastic boxes like other states ( not IL ).

The transformer for the 12v DC ( or AC ) power supply plugs into that.

BTW : The hook function on the strippers, it is that hole you never knew what it was for.

Put the end of the wire in there and turn your wrist and it makes a perfect hook  :Old Dogg™:

You do the outlet on the top of each cabinet and you are free to select what every you want for lighting up there.

Steve, mine are on a switch not a plug. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »

Yes, the florescent lights are on a switch.

You are removing the florescent fixtures on top of the cabinets and putting the outlet in the fixtures place.

That master fixture is going to have the wires to the other 2 florescent fixtures as well as the switch leg from the switch and neutral and ground from the same box down the wall.

That is why I put in the part about making the pigtail, you are going to have 3 wires for the hot, 3 wires for the neutral and 3 wires for the ground and need to connect them to a single outlet and you don't have enough screw terminals to do that.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »

Yes, the florescent lights are on a switch.

You are removing the florescent fixtures on top of the cabinets and putting the outlet in the fixtures place.

That master fixture is going to have the wires to the other 2 florescent fixtures as well as the switch leg from the switch and neutral and ground from the same box down the wall.

That is why I put in the part about making the pigtail, you are going to have 3 wires for the hot, 3 wires for the neutral and 3 wires for the ground and need to connect them to a single outlet and you don't have enough screw terminals to do that.

Still struggling to understand I should put a plug in a switched circuit ? 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »

when I get back home tomorrow I will make up some drawings to try to help you thorough it.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:59 AM »

when I get back home tomorrow I will make up some drawings to try to help you thorough it.

I think I can wire it with ease, just trying to understand why put a outlet in a switched circuit.  If it is mainly to handle the wiring load of 3 fixtures, I get that, especially using a pig tail to the main light.   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
I think I can wire it with ease, just trying to understand why put a outlet in a switched circuit.  If it is mainly to handle the wiring load of 3 fixtures, I get that, especially using a pig tail to the main light.

You are removing the  florescent fixtures, which will leave you with just the wires hanging there.

When you install LED lights up there, they are going to have a transformer of some sorts either external or built into the product.

This is what one of my Juno Trac 12 transformer looks like ( I have the old one that is the wall wart type )

Each cabinet top will have a transformer on it, which means you need an outlet on top of each cabinet.
The wiring is already behind the drywall, so by taking a few extra min to put outlets on the top of each cabinet you won't see the wires climbing past the crown molding or have to drill it for low voltage wiring.

If the transformer has a switch on it ( same as the picture above ) you will leave it in the on position and the switch down below will just turn power on & off to the transformer.

The family room ( picture with the xmas tree in it ) I would expect only has a single wire out of the wall and the lights are wired together. 
That would be a single outlet up there and the Trac 12, Flex 12 or other mfgr if not Juno would span the length of the cabinet.

I guess I should have been more clear on which cabinet set. 
This is the other kitchen cabinet that I would expect the wiring goes into the wall and out on the next cabinet.

This is why you have an outlet on each cabinet on those.  You don't want to try to fish the wall again with low voltage wire.

Think of it as a half switched outlet in a room that turns a floor lamp on & off, same thing.

Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_9417.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal