March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Girlfriend got a new toy... A big one.  (Read 17427 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Girlfriend got a new toy... A big one.
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
I'll ask dad, should see him tomorrow, if he had one and if so if they looked like this

Few half assed searches I did not come up with a source for them.
- Saw a ref back in 2006 that they were still round, but 11 years later that might not be the case.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
I appreciate it.  I was getting nowhere using Google.  I have a feeling it's going to be one of those situations where someone knows someone who may have one or the lucky Craigslist find.  Doubt anyone will be selling them solo though.  I can probably buy a setup and weld up my own bracket for it.  Might be worth a trip to tractor supply. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Wow.  Those shoe set ups are more expensive than I would have thought. I may just be making something. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
Time to change to a round universal skid shoe setup ?

How bad were they ?
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »
Time to change to a round universal skid shoe setup ?

How bad were they ?
They weren't there when we got it.  I plowed with it today (we got another 3" last night) but I don't want to keep running it on the stone and gravel without the shoes on there.  A lot of the round shoes look like they're going to dig in.  I would prefer the smoother dished kind.  Thinking of making an actual ski-like set up with a taper on the front and back.  Something to distribute the weight so the shoes themselves don't dig down in. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 08:40:08 AM »
You could always go with a rubber cutting edge.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Any experience with this on stone? 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 01:53:57 PM »

Not much, no. We run one on the 8' Western plow on one of the Bobcat Toolcats at the marina because the paving is falling apart in the (large) front parking lot. It seems to handle at mess pretty well. No scarring and it cleans really well. It also seems to be wearing quite well after two years. One thing I will warn you about though, they are quite expensive.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »

Not much, no. We run one on the 8' Western plow on one of the Bobcat Toolcats at the marina because the paving is falling apart in the (large) front parking lot. It seems to handle at mess pretty well. No scarring and it cleans really well. It also seems to be wearing quite well after two years. One thing I will warn you about though, they are quite expensive.
Well since I'm not looking to replace a pricey part with what I can only imagine is a much pricier part, I went by Tractor Supply yesterday and they had Meyers snow plow shoes on the shelf for $20 each.  They were the style I wanted and For another $20-$30 I could get some steel and fab up two brackets.  I'm just having trouble locating round steel tubing with a 1" inner diameter that the shoe will ride in.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 12:01:00 AM »
Well since I'm not looking to replace a pricey part with what I can only imagine is a much pricier part, I went by Tractor Supply yesterday and they had Meyers snow plow shoes on the shelf for $20 each.  They were the style I wanted and For another $20-$30 I could get some steel and fab up two brackets.  I'm just having trouble locating round steel tubing with a 1" inner diameter that the shoe will ride in.

You should have gone with the kit for 200.00 that had the brackets with it.
- I am shocked Tractor Supply did not have the full kit.

Home Depot can order them and have them shipped to the store or your house.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »

You should have gone with the kit for 200.00 that had the brackets with it.
- I am shocked Tractor Supply did not have the full kit.

Home Depot can order them and have them shipped to the store or your house.
I thought about it.  I was hoping I could find a used set cheaper.  If those bolt holes don't line up, it would force me to drill new holes in to the plow itself.  While that would work no problem, there is just something about keeping the plow in it's original form and that bracket would be hard to modify.  Besides, why not try my hand at making something?  If it fails, it's just being used around the house anyway. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »
I thought about it.  I was hoping I could find a used set cheaper.  If those bolt holes don't line up, it would force me to drill new holes in to the plow itself.  While that would work no problem, there is just something about keeping the plow in it's original form and that bracket would be hard to modify.  Besides, why not try my hand at making something?  If it fails, it's just being used around the house anyway. 

I envisioned those Myers brackets would slide onto where bracket #16 in the diagram above it at and drill the holes in the Meyers brackets the same way that bolt #17 ( diagram above ) presents.
- The Meyers bracket would be above and below that angle where bracket #16 bolts to the top.

I don't know the slot size in the Myers bracket vs what bracket #16 above is bolting to thickness wise.

For 170.00 you could go with the Western midweight kit, that is similar to the bracket #16 above.
- It might need some of that tab cut off and the holes drilled in it.

You could even use some angle on the other side of the plow angle to make the sandwich type config as above.

Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »

I envisioned those Myers brackets would slide onto where bracket #16 in the diagram above it at and drill the holes in the Meyers brackets the same way that bolt #17 ( diagram above ) presents.
- The Meyers bracket would be above and below that angle where bracket #16 bolts to the top.

I don't know the slot size in the Myers bracket vs what bracket #16 above is bolting to thickness wise.

For 170.00 you could go with the Western midweight kit, that is similar to the bracket #16 above.
- It might need some of that tab cut off and the holes drilled in it.

You could even use some angle on the other side of the plow angle to make the sandwich type config as above.
I basically picked up two pieces of angle which I will sandwich together around where it bolts to the plow, weld in the correct length of tubing and I have the same thing.  A couple holes and some boots and I'm done.  Might even use some of the left over angle to form gussets... Because why not. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
Got it all together.  It's a little rough.  I should have tacked it together and took it to work so I could use a better welder but it will do.  It went well.  It should work as long as it holds up.  I do want to remove them, clean them up the best I can and paint them.  I probably have under $70 in to this.  $90 if you count the $20 1/2" drill bit. 

As you can see, there is daylight under the plow blade and with all of the washers it is fully adjustable in either direction.  If the shoes just dog in then I will fab up something more along the lines of short skis. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:41:15 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
Those will work pretty good I think, nice work!

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

IMG_5749.JPG

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal