March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Girlfriend got a new toy... A big one.  (Read 17430 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Girlfriend got a new toy... A big one.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
Do you think the box blade might not be heavy enough for the really compacted stuff to provide enough downward pressure for the scarifiers to dig in? 

Our road is pretty compact.  Not sure how that will turn out.  I know for sure the ruts will come back.  With two how's sitting much higher up on the road who's driveways flow water like no other down on to and across the road, it's a sure thing.  Best case scenario is I smooth the road out and add a little pitch off the side.  Worst case?  It looks like it does now. 

Funny, I had a small dump truck full of stone (mostly 3a modified) and uses it to fill in some of the bad areas and the other neighbors who lives all the way back on the road (like me they have to travel the full length of the 1/4 Mile road to get to their driveway) pull up while I was raking (yeah, raking a dump truck load... There is no emoji for this feeling) just told me leave it the way it is, nobody cares, we all have trucks anyway.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »
Dumb question time for me ( I know what is new ).

Have you guys ever looked at putting in drains perpendicular to the road at intervals to dry wells on the sides ?

Something like this

If you get them started up the road it won't be a flood of water by time it passes your driveway; trying to carve out the next grand canyon.

It will take some work and money but it might save you from having a washed out access road.
Steve

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
You are going to be using a heavier Box Blade than I was so you may have better luck than I did. I would still give it a go.

Sound like you have a couple winners for neighbors and I feel your pain.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Dumb question time for me ( I know what is new ).

Have you guys ever looked at putting in drains perpendicular to the road at intervals to dry wells on the sides ?

Something like this

If you get them started up the road it won't be a flood of water by time it passes your driveway; trying to carve out the next grand canyon.

It will take some work and money but it might save you from having a washed out access road.
My driveway itself is actually not much of the problem.  The private road with the other four houses on it is most of the issue. Two of the houses sit much higher and have steeper driveways.  That's where the bulk of the damage comes from.  Nothing is paved.  With the exception of a small pad at the house that sits at the very very beginning of the road.  Stone would actually just wash over those drains.  I'm just looking for maybe more of a quarterly touch up/maintenance solution.  Not even perfection.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
You are going to be using a heavier Box Blade than I was so you may have better luck than I did. I would still give it a go.

Sound like you have a couple winners for neighbors and I feel your pain.
Back to my original question, or one of them anyway.  If I was to purchase a box blade is there anything else I would need to go along with it?  Should it just attach?  Do they all mount the same way?

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
They all attach the same way and looking at the pictures your tractor is missing the top link but you can easily source one from a Dealer or the place you are going to buy the Box Blade from. It will take some measuring to figure out what length you need.

Here is a link to Agri Supply.

http://www.agrisupply.com/top-links/c/4900018/

If you wanted to get really fancy you can add a quick hitch. I have one and I love it!

http://www.agrisupply.com/searchcenter.aspx?keyword=3pt%20quick%20hitch&operator=OR

If you haven't figured it out yet this is as deep a rabbit hole as detailing is. :redneck:
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
They all attach the same way and looking at the pictures your tractor is missing the top link but you can easily source one from a Dealer or the place you are going to buy the Box Blade from. It will take some measuring to figure out what length you need.

Here is a link to Agri Supply.

http://www.agrisupply.com/top-links/c/4900018/

If you wanted to get really fancy you can add a quick hitch. I have one and I love it!

http://www.agrisupply.com/searchcenter.aspx?keyword=3pt%20quick%20hitch&operator=OR

If you haven't figured it out yet this is as deep a rabbit hole as detailing is. :redneck:
I'm learning as I go here.  I really don't know much.  I haven't even really gone over the tractor.much to see how it all works and which levers do what. 

The top link... I see hyrdaulic and none hydraulic.  Are the interchangeable or do they go in different locations?  Looking at the tractor I see a hydraulic cylinder where the top link hooks up.  So I'm not understanding why I would need another one or where the hoses would be coming from. 

I'm going to have to see how those quick hitches work. I'm all for quick and easy. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
The top link mounts in the center right behind the operators seat in the bracket next to where the brake light is mounted. Here is a good diagram of the parts of a 3 point hitch and terminology used for each one. Hydraulic top links are nice but aren't a necessity.

This is a decent article on 3 points.

http://smallfarms.cornell.edu/2016/04/04/tractor-three-point-hitches/

This one gives the dimension of the different Catagory 3 point hitches. Your's is most likely a Cat 2.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
The top link mounts in the center right behind the operators seat in the bracket next to where the brake light is mounted. Here is a good diagram of the parts of a 3 point hitch and terminology used for each one. Hydraulic top links are nice but aren't a necessity.

This is a decent article on 3 points.

http://smallfarms.cornell.edu/2016/04/04/tractor-three-point-hitches/

This one gives the dimension of the different Catagory 3 point hitches. Your's is most likely a Cat 2.
Thanks for the help! 

A 7' box seems a bit big but the guy in the video stated to go a little wider than the rear wheels and the tractor is over 6' wide.  Think it would have any issues aside from maybe not being able to push or pull too much?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »
Here's a Google Earth shot of what I'm working with.  Unfortunately you can't see the elevation difference of my house (blue do) and the two houses to the right of mine in the picture.  Those two driveways are what really play havoc on the road.  You can also see where the road transitions over from dirt to stone. 

Also two pictures of where the water runs down from those two houses. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
Honestly looks like you need some ditches an culverts.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
So it seems it's a category 1 3 point hitch.  I'm having trouble finding information on choosing parts.  Like top link length.  And looking at a drawbar to mount a hitch to tow the trailer around. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
Honestly looks like you need some ditches an culverts.

X2 on that one. You're wasting your time without them.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
I don't think that's going to be an option.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
Anyone know where to get parts for the snow plow on this thing.  Best I can tell by looking in to it is it is a Dearborn 19-3 snow plow.  I looking for the shoes/skis for it.  Otherwise I guess I'll be fabbing something up.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0281.JPG

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal