March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Truck won't shift  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Truck won't shift
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »
Diesel folks... Left for work this morning and truck wouldn't shift. Stuck in either 2nd or third seeing as I can do almost 40 before redline.  Can't manually shift either.  Put it right back in the driveway and took the girlfriend's car.  Haven't had time to research or call.  It's under warranty and I will likely have it towed as all dealerships are too far away to drive 30mph.  I think I can use roadside assistance.  My driveway is a roadside right?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
Re: Truck won't shift
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Is it in 4 Low? I've had this happen with my dads Tahoe thinking I was turning on the headlights and I was actually putting in it 4 Low.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
Is it in 4 Low? I've had this happen with my dads Tahoe thinking I was turning on the headlights and I was actually putting in it 4 Low.
I don't think so but im not going to rule anything out.  I will check when I get home.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
So I drove it again.  It shifted and ran like normal but the engine light is still on.  I called OnStar and they ran a diagnostic on it and said it was a transmission issue and gave me some long winded breakdown and said it should be looked at within one day.  They wouldn't clear the code, which I figured they wouldn't, so now I'm wondering if I should run it as normal or still take it in.  Or remove the battery cable and try to clear the code myself and hope it doesn't happen again. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
Don't take any chances ad take it in ASAP. That's my 2 cents at least.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Don't take any chances ad take it in ASAP. That's my 2 cents at least.
I had the hood open.  Considered everything.  Decided I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow and see if I can't get in and have it looked at and get an estimate on how long it will take to get the part.  Sounds like a TCM to me. We will see.  Problem is dealers are all far away from me or close long before I get off work.  So I have to go to one that's farther away and in the opposite direction after work.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Called the Chevy dealership 6 miles away.  They have stupid hours that won't work and they don't do diagnostics work on Saturday.  Impossible for me to make an appointment (appointment only) so it goes to a dealer 40 miles away tomorrow which is on the way to my job location.  They have a 2017 Sierra ready to go for me.  If I'm lucky they will have it in and out before the end of the day and I won't need the loaner.  Otherwise I guess I'm at the mercy of timeframe to get whatever part will be needed.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
Got lucky.  This dealership was great to work with even just from the initial phone call.  Here's the write up.  Part was in stock.  Apparently there is a TSB out on it. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:31:38 AM by Kitzy »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »
Glad to hear everything is back to normal!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
Awesome; looks like they are worth the drive.

Don't expect such quick results if you trip over something without a TSB on it; but it looks like they are nic eto work with.

The Mrs had the 1st documented problem due to different TPMS sensors on each side of the vehicle ( drivers side had rev A pass prev B ). 
It would manifest as a tire being reported as 0 PSI out of the blue and then go back to actual.    Reflashing TPMS controller, relearning, rotating tires ( now they are A-B & B- A ) finally working with Ford engs they dismounted all the tires and found the version issue.   
They created the TSB and had to put in for a manufacturing change order as not to get mix and match versions anymore.
- Quick fix while they fix the TPMS code in the sensor.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »
Awesome; looks like they are worth the drive.

Don't expect such quick results if you trip over something without a TSB on it; but it looks like they are nic eto work with.

The Mrs had the 1st documented problem due to different TPMS sensors on each side of the vehicle ( drivers side had rev A pass prev B ). 
It would manifest as a tire being reported as 0 PSI out of the blue and then go back to actual.    Reflashing TPMS controller, relearning, rotating tires ( now they are A-B & B- A ) finally working with Ford engs they dismounted all the tires and found the version issue.   
They created the TSB and had to put in for a manufacturing change order as not to get mix and match versions anymore.
- Quick fix while they fix the TPMS code in the sensor.
That may be, but I was pretty happy with the way they spoke to me and got me set up for a loaner (ultimately never used it) over the phone before we even knew what the problem was.  And of course wouldn't you know the check engine light turned off halfway to the dealership.  Luckily it stored in the computer.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
That is a pretty quick fix!

It's good to have a dealer that you can at least go to now with any future issue (IF you have any).
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
That is a pretty quick fix!

It's good to have a dealer that you can at least go to now with any future issue (IF you have any).
The nice thing about this dealership is we take all of our company trucks there.  We buy our Ram trucks there and service our GMC there.  Chances are they will remain good to me.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0495.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal