The Café Detailing Help Desk > Detailing Help

Is Water Beading Really a Good Test of LSP Longevity?

(1/4) > >>

Too Stroked:
Ok guys and girls, I have a question for you. If water still beads up on the surface of a vehicle, is it really because of the LSP last applied? The reason I ask is that I applied C.A.R. Bullet Proof Coating to my 2006 Scion xB last fall after a full detail. My intent was to see if something would actually last through a whole Rochester winter.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I haven't been able to do much of anything other than wash the Toaster ever since then. No other LSP or quick detailer has been applied since then. Although the surface still looks great, it doesn't feel slippery anymore. But get this, it still beads water like no tomorrow - especially after a rain storm.

I'd be very tempted to say the Bullet Proof is still on there and protecting the surface, but 8 months? Holy crap Batman! That's gotta be some kind of world record for me. Your thoughts?

Kitzy:
I don't know but whatever is on my windshield from when I bought it is pretty awesome.  Been kicking the idea around of applying a coating.  Especially since I can't maintain it at this house right now like I'd like to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sscully:
The feeling of the paint, is it just surface contaminants on the C.A.R Coating ?

If I am recalling correctly, a paint that has been clayed and cleaned off will sheet water more than bead water.
- Am I recalling correctly ?

I would not be shocked that a coating is still on after 8 months.

I don't know if you clay towel the surface if it will remove the coating or if you are just going to remover the surface contaminants.

Until you have time to do a follow up ( if needed ), or can do a test area like the hood or roof only, I would not mess with trying a clay towel on it, not knowing what the C.A.R. coating is like 1st hand.
- I have done this with the OPT coating and not lost any thickness, that comes with compounding.

Blown F-150:
My truck has the same coating on it although, not for the same amount of time. The real "slickness" of the paint wore off after a few washes, but it still beads very well. I'm inclined to say that the coating is still there and doing it's job.

I did 3 coats. Couldn't do that with OC 2.0.

Pretty happy with it so far. Hood, roof, bumpers and tailgate are all done with OC 2.0. Going to keep comparing the two over the long term and see how they hold up.

gipraw:
I like the bulletproof a lot. 

I put three coats on initially, the will use topper on it every three months or so .. works great. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version