March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: UGH....PADS  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
UGH....PADS
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:39 AM »
So "most" of my pads are in the trash, the totally have disintegrated.

I am not up to date on pads.  I have tons of Megs MF's pads for the MF system and and couple of basic Lake pads.

If one was to start their collection over.   Where would one start.  The Lake Hydro pads?   Others?  All I am looking for is cutting, polishing and finishing.  I can varry product pad combo for jeweling/burnish etc.

UGH, wasn't ready to relearn pads right now.   

Please help.

JP

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: UGH....PADS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
I still stick with flat LC pads after all these years.

The same pad construction is what Steve has at PB ( he used to have LC make them for him ).

Steve also has the pads made for the Flex also with the nice inset like the large ones you have, but made for the large Flex plate and not as much overhang.

- If that is working.

That is my opinion.  I will keep an eye out for Amazon subscribe and save pads if I am going to be killing off pads, but they are not always cheaper.

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
I have almost all LC pads in my collection. (Yellow, Orange, White, Light Green) as well as a few left over Meg's Burgundy Cutting pads. I've never had any of them fall apart other than the Velcro style pad on the back eventually falling off on a few. Then again, we don't have the killer humidity up here that you have. Heck, some of the Meg's pads I have must be over 10 years old!

I would safely recommend LC pads based on my experience.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »
Another fan of the LC pads here. They seem to hold up pretty well and I've never had a marring issue with them.

I will say though, that I grabbed some UBER pads from Justin for the Rupes and they work really well. Haven't used them much to see how they last though.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
The Lake Hydro pads?   Others?  All I am looking for is cutting, polishing and finishing.  I can vary product pad combo for jeweling/burnish etc.

I forgot this in my last post.

If you don't want to relearn pads, do not switch to the LC Hydro pads, they screwed up the color codes on them when compared to standard LC pads.

Blue in Hydro is now heavy cutting and Orange  is a light polishing pad ( what White would be ) and red is finishing pad.

The colors are slightly different than standard LC pads and they gave them different names ( cyan, crimson or something like that ) but if you have mussel memory for colors it will screw up up.
- At least it did with me, but that could be from that I am not that smart..

Going LC hydro is about as confusing as going Megs with pads, the colors are totally different and you have to think about what mfgr and pad color you are grabbing.

This is One reason I have stayed with std LC for foam pads; the other reason, the hydro pads are not a night and day like using a MF pad ( under some cases ).  They are pads.

I have avoided the Uber pads, as I have not seen a review where I thought 'wow that is great'.
About all I have heard with short term usage is the glue is better on Uber.  I have not had this issue on pads that I did not abuse with the grit guard pad cleaner.

Then again I was also underwhelmed with the Carpro Flash pads and polish; they were an also-ran in my book.

Aside form serious defect removal wit the PFW and MF cutting pads, I have not found anything that is night and day away from the standard LC pads in the past years; so I stopped with the hot new thing purchasing and stuck with what worked.
- I fell for the Rupees hot new thing, and that is a very expensive, slightly better PC in my book; nothing like the flex.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »
The Lake Hydro pads?   Others?  All I am looking for is cutting, polishing and finishing.  I can vary product pad combo for jeweling/burnish etc.

I forgot this in my last post.

If you don't want to relearn pads, do not switch to the LC Hydro pads, they screwed up the color codes on them when compared to standard LC pads.

Blue in Hydro is now heavy cutting and Orange  is a light polishing pad ( what White would be ) and red is finishing pad.

The colors are slightly different than standard LC pads and they gave them different names ( cyan, crimson or something like that ) but if you have mussel memory for colors it will screw up up.
- At least it did with me, but that could be from that I am not that smart..

Going LC hydro is about as confusing as going Megs with pads, the colors are totally different and you have to think about what mfgr and pad color you are grabbing.

This is One reason I have stayed with std LC for foam pads; the other reason, the hydro pads are not a night and day like using a MF pad ( under some cases ).  They are pads.

I have avoided the Uber pads, as I have not seen a review where I thought 'wow that is great'.
About all I have heard with short term usage is the glue is better on Uber.  I have not had this issue on pads that I did not abuse with the grit guard pad cleaner.

Then again I was also underwhelmed with the Carpro Flash pads and polish; they were an also-ran in my book.

Aside form serious defect removal wit the PFW and MF cutting pads, I have not found anything that is night and day away from the standard LC pads in the past years; so I stopped with the hot new thing purchasing and stuck with what worked.
- I fell for the Rupees hot new thing, and that is a very expensive, slightly better PC in my book; nothing like the flex.

Good post and I did know that about that Hydro's and learned the same thing regarding colors.  I did invest in some of them when they came out but I never knew they were more for water based products.  Thus the name 

I am going to stick with what I know and stay with Lake.  I really only use the white, blue, black and red and if needed i will opt for the PFW pads.   I am not sure if I am going to go with the VC's yet.  I think one set is handy to have and I like the deep pock for the backing plate. 

Megs are pretty straight forward outside of the MF system, that is if they have stayed with Yellow for polish and black for finish and red for serious cut. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:30:45 PM »
...<snip>..
Megs are pretty straight forward outside of the MF system, that is if they have stayed with Yellow for polish and black for finish and red for serious cut.

It is easy if you have used them.  They have that Hydro issue where the colors are backwards to LC, Chem Guys and Griot ( I think they follow LC ).

Not shocking Megs doing their own thing, helps with creating a closed eco system, which I cannot stand.
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_6703.JPG

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal