April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Update from Ike - land, also known as Houston  (Read 4118 times)

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Update from Ike - land, also known as Houston
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
Everyone is safe at my house, which is great.  I am in Austin, at my office hotsite.. wife and kids are at the house.  it is very hard not being there with them right now.

We had 80 mph winds and driving rain from about 3:30 or so on.  Just now slowing down a little. 

We lost two huge pine tress in the back yard, both of them snapped at about the 25 foot or so level, then fell over the fense into the greenbelt area, so no damage from that.  I have several issues with the roof, and currently have water coming into my house in several places.  The wife said she can see sky from the attic, which is probably not good.  the rain is leaking down directly into my two AC units, which sit in the attic, then following the duct work, and coming through the ceiling and down walls.  The rain is still driving, so no end in sight .. Plus my roof is 50 feet int he air, so no way to get up there and put a tarp over things.

Lost power off and on from 12:30 to 4:30 .. then lost it for good until about 15 minutes ago .. so at least the food won't spoil and the beer in the beer fridge won't get skunked.

We are 71 miles from the coast ..   I can't even imagine what it would have been like to be down there.  Please keep those people in your thoughts.

================

Doug

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
Re: Update from Ike - land, also known as Houston
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
Good to hear from you, Gip.  Glad to hear that everyone is safe but very sorry to hear about the property damage...

You guys are in our hearts and prayers.
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:41:09 PM »
Glad everyone is safe.  I don't even know what to say.  I've never known anyone personally who has had to deal with things of this nature.  Here in Pa, we get a little bit of everything, but nothing life threatening.  I can't even imagine what it's like.  Hopefully the path to recovery is smooth, as smooth as can be, for you and your family.  Wish you the best. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
Wifey says the entire neighborhood is heavily damaged ..   She thinks we probably had a Tornado within the mix.    I hope to head that way in the next few hours.

================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Gip, I was up most of the night listening to the Ham Radio Net Command.  It sounded pretty crazy down there and glad you are all safe...

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
Glad to here everyone is ok Gip. My in-laws live on Tiki Island, but I haven't been able to get in touch with them to see how their house did.

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »
I live in north Houston, the Woodlands to be precise. We had downed trees that blocked roads and crunched a few houses in the neighborhood. Our house made it ok I suppose, a lot better than some any way. Our roof decided to open up and let some water in which wiped out my computer room. The ceiling caved in and then water began dripping out of light fixtures through out the house. All said and done it could have been a lot worse. We got power back on last night which is nice. But my fiancee and I still turned the AC off and kept the windows open as the weather is so nice. My prayers are with those that still don't have water, power, or both and those that lost everything...

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
I live in north Houston, the Woodlands to be precise. We had downed trees that blocked roads and crunched a few houses in the neighborhood. Our house made it ok I suppose, a lot better than some any way. Our roof decided to open up and let some water in which wiped out my computer room. The ceiling caved in and then water began dripping out of light fixtures through out the house. All said and done it could have been a lot worse. We got power back on last night which is nice. But my fiancee and I still turned the AC off and kept the windows open as the weather is so nice. My prayers are with those that still don't have water, power, or both and those that lost everything...

glad you got power back ..     that has been the best thing about this ..  we only lost power a few hours .. so we have had AC, and didn't lose any food.

stay safe.. 
================

Doug

Offline BigRed150

• Café Member
  • Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast....
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »

Glad you all are safe and the houses aren't too beat up.

Jeff
My Detailing Creed:
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast

(borrowed from the Movie 'Shooter')

* Recent Photos

products

Views: 1
By: Oklahoma

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards