1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Worst house for detailing  (Read 14025 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Worst house for detailing
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
I did the math.  It's about .71 gallons per minute.

Driveway video uploading.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Re: Worst house for detailing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Tom, as for the booster pump you mentioned in the shout box.  When I go back to work and have regular paychecks rolling in again I am going to call in a well company to come go over everything and talk about putting in a higher flow pump.  Current pump is rated at 2gpm and it's pumping from 406 feet deep.  My current options look to be either upgrade the pump or install an intermediate tank before the pressure tank.  The pressure tank is already cranked to it's max at 40/60. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »
Here's the video of the driveway.  At 2:07 you can see a small light on a black pole almost dead center of the screen.  It's a typical end of driveway light.  That's roughly where our property starts.  The rest of that road is a private road technically owned by the neighbors. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
Wow Mike, beautiful location! I can see why you don't have much water pressure though. Can you add a booster pump to get line pressure back up?

As for detailing, even if you had water pressure, you'd have to re-wash anything you detailed by the time you reach the end of your driveway! I guess you'll just have to come to my house to detail. Not only do I have plenty of water pressure, but since Lake Ontario is only 400' away, we have plenty of water too!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
Thanks, Tom!  I love it here.

The water pressure will get fixed one way or another.  If the well can support a larger pump then I will upgrade it.  If it can't then I will have an intermediate tank installed.  With my limited knowledge of wells and the research I've done, a booster pump doesnt seem to be an option.  I'm not sure how that would work.  The well pump is at the bottom of the well which is 406 feet deep.  Any kind of pump after that would have to somehow pull more water through that pump.  Rule of thumb is 1gpm per water fixture.  That includes appliances, toilets and outdoor spigots.  Installed currently is a 2gpm pump which I'm assuming is struggling to lift water 400 feet upward resulting in less than 1gpm.   The house has 11 fixtures.  I need to find out why a 2gpm was installed in the first place.  I'll know more when I call in a professional.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
From what I remember of Fluid Mechanics from college (I sat next to Thomas Edison), you will need an intermediate tank / reservoir someplace because you can only pump uphill so far.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
From what I remember of Fluid Mechanics from college (I sat next to Thomas Edison), you will need an intermediate tank / reservoir someplace because you can only pump uphill so far.
I believe that's the reasoning for not seeing closer to the 2gpm that the pump is rated at, which is ridiculous to begin with.  My worry is that the well can't support more and that's why they never installed anything larger.  400 feet is a long way to send water up.  As the pump continues to pump water in to the pipe, that weight of the water wants to overcome the force of the pump.  It's amazing it even works at all. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
That's why you put a big intermediate tank / reservoir in. You slowly fill it from the well over time, but draw from it at a reasonable clip when you need it. And, since it's closer to the elevation of your house, the pump from the reservoir will not suffer so much from head loss.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
The one nice thing about the water pressure... It's next to impossible to run out of hot water because I'm pretty sure the hot water heater is heating the water faster than the pump can supply it.  So there's that.  If you are lucky enough for timing to be on your side, the pressure tank will kick back on and reach max pressure while rinsing off and you can end your shower with as much water pressure as possible.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
400ft is a really deep well (from what little I know)!

I'm sure the shower is fun too. Detailing is not conducive to your set up currently.

My Uncle was a plumber in a former life and said the reservoir tank is really the only decent solution.

Best of luck and you certainly are in some really nice country. The lack of water pressure is worth it.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
It is a really deep well. 

I'm hoping the neighbor is able to get screenings from the electric company like he said he was going to try to do.  That would go a long way in cleaning up the road. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »
Another video.  This one is of the shower.  Check out that pressure...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
That's like showering in the rain, lol.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
Yeah from a 4" cloud.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
I am no well expert but becoming one.   Our well is 280 ft.   It only has a .5 HP pump it needs a 1.5 as I can only use it for 4 heads at a time on the lawn.   

Could be that simple but pulling that pump out is not an easy task. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_3201.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal