1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Annual Tennessee Trip  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Annual Tennessee Trip
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »
We took our annual trip to Tennessee last week.  It was an interesting one.  Not many pictures to share.  A lot of the trip was spent being really irritated with my girlfriend's sister.  We took the quads out twice.  The first day it rained on us almost the whole time.  We were cold and wet so we packed it in early.  The rain made for such a mess that I couldn't be bothered to deal with getting my camera out.  And my gopros instantly fogged up when I tried to change the batteries.  Along with Cassie's sister was her sister's boyfriend.  Both inexperienced riders.  He was a little cocky and it ended up showing both times out.  However, day two ended up being a disaster.  Neither one of them could stay upright and her boyfriend ended up slamming a tree at high speed ending our day early.  While towing him out from miles deep in the Smokies, I may have had a hand in wrecking him again just a hundred yards from the parking lot.  Here's a video I made in his honor.  More pics and videos to come from the week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Annual Tennessee Trip
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
Wow, that was certainly ugly! Tough riding conditions at best, and rookie mistakes at worst. (Kind of makes me miss my 3 wheeling days.) How bad was his 4 wheeler trashed after all of that?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
The tree was the cause of the major damage.  That ended his day of riding under his own power.  The final flip at the end didn't seem to do much damage if any.  It folded the handle bars flat but I just pulled them back up.  The kicker... It wasn't his four wheeler.  It was my girlfriend's family's.  We were riding with their son when it happened and he had to make the call.  To top it off, we were greeted in the driveway with the news that their dog died while we were out riding. 

I immediately thought it was totaled.  I talked to her family member who owns it, we looked it over, I egged him on to start pulling some pieces off.  It looks like the front rack, steering column, front bumper, front grille, radiator and fender are all a loss.  To hunt down and replace everything it looks like anywhere from $6-700.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »
That's a rough day, but glad that it seems like he wasn't hurt.

A wrecked quad sucks, but losing a dog is much worse.

At least the quad can be fixed.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:22:50 AM »
Agreed on the dog.  It was an awesome dog.  Not the kind of dog I would ever get but it had such a cool personality even if it was ugly as can be.  It was a pug, overweight, huge under bite, crooked ears, half a tail and one eye.  Haha. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
That 1st wreck it looked like just turned left directly into the tree.
- 'I'm done with this trail, let's see what is over here...oh a tree..'

The 2nd wreck was strange.  The helmet came came up on him on his side in the middle of the trail.
I do get a kick of him trying to get under way. 
Hey Mike, let me rooster tail a bunch of crap at you while I dig a trench to pull the ATV out of. 
Sound good ? OK hold my beer watch this...

The 3rd wreck, he is 8' feet from the upside down ATV with what appears to be a dazed look.
- ' How the hell did I wind up over here..'

The 4th wreck, I agree with your post.  A bit of crack the whip at a good clip.
Did that get off remind him why helmets have chin straps ? 
It was handy his helmet was on the ground between him and the ATV when everything stopped moving.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »

That 1st wreck it looked like just turned left directly into the tree.
- 'I'm done with this trail, let's see what is over here...oh a tree..'

The 2nd wreck was strange.  The helmet came came up on him on his side in the middle of the trail.
I do get a kick of him trying to get under way. 
Hey Mike, let me rooster tail a bunch of crap at you while I dig a trench to pull the ATV out of. 
Sound good ? OK hold my beer watch this...

The 3rd wreck, he is 8' feet from the upside down ATV with what appears to be a dazed look.
- ' How the hell did I wind up over here..'

The 4th wreck, I agree with your post.  A bit of crack the whip at a good clip.
Did that get off remind him why helmets have chin straps ? 
It was handy his helmet was on the ground between him and the ATV when everything stopped moving.

1st wreck... If you look, he kicked the rear left, over corrected hard and shot left right in to that tree.  That was 7 minutes in to our ride.  I purposely let him struggle for a little for giggles. 

2nd wreck, my camera was blurry because I swapped batteries and moisture got in the housing.  I watched it happen though.  He always avoids ruts rather than safely riding them like rails.  He fell in, climbed the bank, stood it up on the back left wheel completely vertical which is when he bailed.  I swear it's like the quad stayed vertical for a few seconds deciding whether to fall on him or back down the way it landed.  He got lucky.  And yeah, I had to guide him out and tell him exactly what to do. 

The 3rd wreck was on day 2 of riding.  I literally missed it by a second.  When I slow the video down I can see him through the trees in the bend of the trail when he goes off trail.  He landed much further than 8' from it.  They were probably closer to 20' when they both stopped moving.  He landed maybe 30' from the tree he hit which is probably when he become separated from the machine. 

The 4th wreck... That was actually my spare helmet.  It broke.  You're right though that he didn't have it buckled.  He said he didn't think it was necessary since I was towing him out at the time.  My girlfriend tore in to him for it.  Haha.  I have no idea how he managed to dart off trail again.  I know I was moving at a good clip but slowing it down he just turns in to the trees again.  He was banged up after that one.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »
This is a grab from the video.  I literally took a picture of my laptop screen with my phone.  You could probably lay 3 averaged size men end to end between him and the machine.  Looking at the picture now though you can see where he went off trail and the tree he drilled.  The quad didn't end up too far from it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 04:42:55 PM »
Some other random shots from the week.  I wish I would have taken more pictures throughout the week.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
That is a lot of wrecks for one weekend, if it was back in the three-wheeler days, I think they would have really been in trouble.... :uugly:

Thanks for posting up all the pics, some really nice sunsets and scenery. One of my guys is just outside of Knoxville and I have been meaning to get down there.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
Cool dog!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »
That is a lot of wrecks for one weekend, if it was back in the three-wheeler days, I think they would have really been in trouble.... :uugly:

Thanks for posting up all the pics, some really nice sunsets and scenery. One of my guys is just outside of Knoxville and I have been meaning to get down there.
The picture of the dog in the shopping cart (pet buggy) is actually in a store called Rural King in Knoxville. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »
Cool dog!
He's a character.  See, if you were on Facebook then you could see all the pictures of him.  We took him to Tennessee with us but we couldn't take the other one because of his issue with other dogs so we left him with my parents. 

They missed each other.  This was today.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
I totally missed this thread....good stuff and great photo's.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

016.jpg

Views: 1
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal